- advertisement -

Sensors Won't Insert All The Way!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KarenRI, Oct 3, 2009.

1. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

We've been CGM'ing for nearly two years. Why suddenly can I not get a sensor inserted??!!!!

I load the sensor into the Sen-Serter and cock it.

I peel off the clear tape and remove the clear needle guard.

I angle the serter by following the angle of the serter feet (45 degrees).

Push the plunger, and the needle only goes in half way!!!

I've tried four times tonight. Wasted two sensors. I even tried a different Sen-Serter. The same still happened.

Nate has 4 holes in his butt and NO sensor.

I had a melt-down.

I called MM.

They are sending 2 replacement sensors. They want my two wasted ones back so they can check them out.

Is anyine else having this problem? Could the tape/patch on the sensor be too big, and it's dragging in the the serter, just like the recent infusion set problems?

Poor Nate. I hate this more than you can imagine...sticking him 4 times and still not being able to get a sensor inserted. Going to try ONE more time with a new box of sensors I just received. Lord help the rep I get on the phone if this one doesn't go all the way in. :mad:

2. PseudoJenn

PseudoJenn Approved members

Oh Karen, I hope you have success with the new box!!!!! Poor Nate :( Not fun being stuck that many times and no sensor in place. (((hugs)))

Let us know how it turns out. I've only inserted one MM sensor so far.. I hope it goes smoothly the next time!

3. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I think I read someone else with the same problem recently. Of course a new serter was recommended...but since you tried a different one, I have to wonder if it is a MM problem.

4. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy Approved members

The very first sensor I put in went similar, but it was my fault. My angle was way off. I just pushed it the rest of the way in and it worked fine after that. But each sensor since then, I made certain of my angle, and haven't had an issue like that since.

5. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I've been have that happen twice recently. I just finished it manually. I did the same steps as you explained above except trying a different sen-serter. No clue why it is happening and the sensors worked fine once I got them in.

6. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Thanks everyone!

Fifth time was a charm. WE GOT THE SENSOR IN!!! I used a sensor from a new box.

Keeping in mind that there may be a problem with the size of the tape/patch:

I folded the patch part like a taco before sliding the hub and the needle handle into the serter carraige. Doing this seemed to keep the patch away from the edges of the serter.

I also pushed the sensor parts into the serter carraige with a small bit of force. They didn't want to sit in tightly, but finally did when I pushed.

Bingo! The sensor needle went all the way in.

I'm looking forward in seeing if MM finds issues with the two wasted ones I'm sending back. One of the sensor needles has a metal burr sticking right out the side near the tip that we first saw when pulling the halfway inserted needle back out!

[​IMG] (sorry it's blurry, but I had to get close enough and I don't have macro on my camera).

Poor Nate! No wonder it hurt him!!! :mad::mad:

7. Val

Val Approved members

I had just posted about this recently...I have been having lots of problems with the sensors not going in. Someone suggested a new inserter device, which I received. The first one went in fine, but the next one had the same problem!!!:mad: There doesn't appear to be any scar tissue, so for the life of me I can't figure it out.

FYI, the sensor still works if there is a little sticking out. I have been pushing it in as far as a can & covering it with tape. If you do this you have to keep a good eye on it b/c it seems to get infected easier.

I am curious to see if anyone else has some suggestions.

MM told me to angle the serter MORE in. I tend to go a little shallow b/c he is so skinny. That is always the way I had done it, so I don't know why it would stop working all of a sudden. I wish they made a pediatric version!

8. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

I'm thinking the patch and tape are a bit larger or wider than usual, and this slows the serter action. It went it fine when I folded the patch up like a taco shell. We've never had to do this before. The sensors always went right in.

9. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I would definitely get a new senserter.

Also tilt the angle up a little straighter in than 45 degrees as mentioned above. MM recommended this to us a couple of years ago, and it has worked great since then - no bleeding, perfect insertions every time.

10. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

Karen,
    Can you let us know the lot number? I think we should keep an eye on this, particularly given that others are having issues too AND you have had success until now for 2 years AND a new box solved the problem. There could be another bad batch of sensors out there ... hoping it is just tired Senserters!

Glad you got one in finally. How frustrating for you and Nate!

11. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

I have 4 senserters here, and I tried three. Got the same result every time. :(
    Thanks for the angle tip...I'll try that next time.

12. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Lot number F299 exp. 12-26-09
    Lot number H289 exp. 2-24-10

13. Noel

Noel Approved members

I had a similar issue, except it didn't even go half it, instead of shooting in like it usually does it when in about 1/4 of the way and came out, basically it "bounced" on him. Hard to describe but.....it almost seemed like he had something on his skin that caused a bounce-back??????

It was strange but I just tried a new sensor and it worked fine. I admit I was nervous the next time, though! So far, so good....

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That's really strange then. Do the sensor's needle tips look like they are sharpened properly?

The steeper angle (around 55 degrees) is to prevent bleeding. We've never had the insertion problem but have always used the steeper angle.

15. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

The needle tips look OK when I load the sensors on the serter, except for one sensor that came back out of his skin with a burr on it (see picture in one of my above replies). It looks like the electrode inside was sticking out.

I think it's an issue with the patch being a bit wider in these sensors. The patch rubs too much on the serter sides. I did notify MM and they want my wasted sensors. Once I folded the patch up the middle, like a taco shell, the sensor glided in without being held up. I also have to push the hub and needle handle into the serter with a small amount of force because if I don't, they barely sit in there and wobble around due to the larger patch.

16. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

Thanks for the info, Karen, and for reporting it to MM. I have a box of E=lot (which seem fine) and H-lot (which I won't crack open for another 19 weeks!) so won't see the problem, if we get it too, for awhile.

If they make one little change to the sensors - like the tape width you are seeing - it can impact a lot. Hoping that it was just a flukey Lot and not the start of a wider problem.

If anyone else keeps seeing the same thing, please do call MM right away, both to get your replacements sensors (!) and to give MM data to track the problem. If you could report it here too, that would be great.

I just hate the thought of people new to the system having problems with something like this... bad enough when we old-timers have issues. But when people are new to it, it is hard to know what is user error and what is the fault of the sensor.

17. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That is strange that the filament is extending past the end of the needle. Was that only after you removed it?

We use the senserter like this:
    1) Insert the sensor into the sensert with the plastic needle cover (clear tube) and adhesive cover strips in place.
    2) Remove the needle cover and BOTH cover strips.
    3) Push the sensor down into the senser, until it locks.
    4) Insert
    5) Slide the senserter off
    6) Retract the needle
    7) Tape both sides with a 1/2-piece of tegaderm 1624W

Not sure if you're inserting with the 2nd adhesive cover strip in place (as recommended by MM) but it
    sounds like it might be catching in the senserter. We like inserting with both cover strips removed,
    then it's not necessary to remove the 2nd strip after the insertion.

18. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We have had the same problem - in fact, it has been a week and my ds has a fit when I mention putting a sensor in. I had to beg minimed to send us a new senserter to try. Our sensors were Lot D279 exp 10-24-09.

I will try folding the tape....

19. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

I used to remove both tape covers, but stopped doing that recently because of the tape sticking to the serter, which again, makes me believe the patches are wider.

20. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Yes, try folding it the vertically, like a taco before you set the sensor into the serter.