- advertisement -

Sensors and summer

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

As I am sitting here watching the snow pile up outside my window:eek:, I'm taking the time to look into summer camps. The girls are probably going to go to a nature camp at the beach. So, my question is, how do the sensors do if any sand gets on it? Is it problematic? Do you cover them with anything? And what about the receiver? Should it be treated like a meter and kept out of the sun (I'm thinking I'd just have her put everything is a small cool pack and keep with her)...

2. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We always cover our sensors with 4" x 4.5" tegaderm, so no water or sand or anything can get to it. The pump we zip into the bag, and cover his site with the little site cover. We've never had sand get into the sensors because of the tegaderm, and we've never hand sand trouble with our sites.

3. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Glad you brought this up and hope to learn from others experience!

4. Beach bum

Sites never are really an issue for us, we just cap and it's usually always covered by her suit or rash guard.

So, if you cover with Tegaderm, do you have any issues with moisture building up underneath? Just wondering if this creates any problem with the sensor.

5. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

No, we've never had any trouble with moisture. We've always completely covered all our sensors - that's how it was shown to us for the 3 day ipro trial, and we've done it the same ever since. We can get up to 7 days on our sensor, we've never tried more than that. Sometimes we do less on purpose, not because it failed. We get a decent amount of failures, but it's normally because my ds is rough, and bumps his sites around a lot. Always bumping them out, even with a lot of tape. Never any moisture issues though.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We always covered the Medtronic transmitter with hypafix, but Dexcom has told us not to. They said to tape really well around the transmitter but not over it because being covered could interfere with transmission.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

LOL, good thing my house isn't built of hypafix :p

Do the dex people not realize that it transmits through closed doors and solid walls? :confused:

8. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We were also told with Dexcom not to tape over the sensors.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I think we'll just be experimenting with tape and tegaderm patches and see what works. I anticipate that sand and sun screen will be the biggest issues. The transmitter probably sits in tight enough that sand won't get in where it shouldn't, but to be honest, I think it will be challenging to just keep it all from looking and feeling gross.:rolleyes:

As far as transmission being interrupted by a bit of plastic tape, I'll believe that when I see it. Meanwhile I may play around with some of that colorful kinesio (sp?) tape which at least won't look "medical".

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

we were also told not to over tape, ever, with dexcom.

We used to overtape on MM so I didn't worry. Now, I have something to worry about.

thanks a bunch. :D

11. Beach bum

I do remember seeing some type of sport wrap that is waterproof that possibly could go over it. It was almost like a sleeve...
    Obviously, stomach and hip sites won't be as much of an issue since they will be more covered.

I agree, the gross factor will be our biggest problem too. It will be interesting to see how much the transmitter/sensor will be able to take. I wonder if it was tested in the waves of the Atlantic:D

12. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

honestly when I go to the beach (not often... I'm a busy person;-) ) I don't use the dexcom... I figure I'm in the water and out of range o=most of the time anyway and I wouldn't want to have to worry aout it breaking/getting
    stolen... I've taken the pump to the beach before and just used the little site plug when not wearing the pump (kept the pump in a cooler while I was in the water) but I think next time I'll just switch back to shots for the day because it was a pain.

We do go on our boat a lot more often, and I wear both dexcom and set in the bay=) I put extra tape on if it looks like it's falling off but other wise I don't worry about it.

13. Beach bum

Well, we live by the the beach, so basically it is our backyard. Plus, we are participating in a study, so dumping it for the summer isn't an option.
    We usually store everything in a pouch in our cooler inside a lunchbox. It has always worked well for us, plus someone is always around keeping an eye out for things.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

See, I wouldn't think of pulling a perfectly good sensor because she wants to stop by the beach for a couple of hours. Your plan is one thing if going to the beach means going on a vacation, but if going to the beach is 10 minutes away then it doesn't quite translate.

15. Beach bum

Yes.
    I could see if we were going to the beach for a week, but in the summer, water is part of our daily routine. We can't just take a sensor out and pop a new one on later. LOL, we'd get bumped out of the study for doing that:D

16. pianoplayer4

that's a good point, but I don't pull the sensor... I just don't bring the receiver with me

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I guess in this thread we've been more focused on protecting and preserving the transmitter and sensor, I had rather forgotten that Wendy had even asked about the receiver.

So, if you spend time at the beach with the sensor and transmitter in place do you find it gets sandy? Do you do anything to protect it or just let it be?

18. pianoplayer4

I just let it be, I use extra tape if it looks like its coming up, but other wise I leave it alone... it doesn't get to nasty... but I don't spend much time playing in the sand like a younger child would

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have my dd put the receiver in a snack size ziplock for everyday play with water/sand.

If we are going to a theme park/water park or the beach then I vacume seal it into a foodsaver bag. (that was with the 7+, have not tried it with the G4)

20. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Are you doing the study through Joslin?