- advertisement -

Sensors and medtronic vs. dexcom - would you wait?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Jan 21, 2013.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Everyone always talks about the release of new items and predictions of when they will be released.

Are there really new, smaller sensors for medtronic CGM? - we really just don't like this insertion with the CGM that medtronic has now.

We have thought about going to Dexcom, but wonder if we should just hold out for new Medtronic sensors since our pump is already integrated.

Any recommendations? Anyone switch from Medtronic CGM to Dexcom and want to give feedback? Should we wait for release of these new sensors?

2. alleliz

alleliz Approved members

I'm making the switch this week-- my new dexcom will be delivered on Wednesday :)

I've used the Medtronic CGM with my pump off and on for 3 1/2 years. I think some of my more recent issues are likely due to the fact that the transmitter needs to be replaced. Like many others, I've just had some frustration with this system, though I do LOVE it when it works well.

What really got me to try the Dexcom is the rebate they have going on now for Medtronic users. I had been considering it for awhile, but this got me to move from *considering* to *acting*. I've heard such good things about the G4, and I'm really hoping it works as well for me!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We had very, very limited success with mm cgm. Insertion (needle never going in all the way), rash at the site, itching, "lost signal" alarms, etc etc. Perhaps the deal breaker was in fact the integration. It annoyed my teen to always have me asking to see her pump, so I'm literally filling out the paperwork for the dex as we speak.

For a child of five though I might be willing to wait as see how the enlite (sp?) sensor is because I do think the integrated system for a younger kid might be a big benefit.

Good luck!:cwds:

4. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

We recently switched from Animas/Dexcom to Medtronic - mostly because we are hoping for the automatic cut off for lows by the time my son goes off to college in a year and a half. Didn't have any real problems with Animas, but decided to make the change and take a chance.....

5. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

We switched from the medtronic sensor to the Dex, and I wish we had done it sooner. We chose medtronic initially because we liked the idea of having his cgm readings on his pump. But the readings were so off for us, it was becoming useless. When my son fell on his medtronic sensor and cracked it- and it was out of warranty, it was our opportunity to switch. I love the G4. The accuracy amazes me, the insertion is simple and even the fact that he has to keep the receiver in his pocket has proven to be no big deal. The range is much better than the medtronic was too. As an aside- we also had the my sentry, which I initially missed, but the dexcom next to my bedside works just as well- just not as big and the alarm is not quite as loud. If you have any other questions, let me know.

6. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

I'm very tempted to go for the Dex G4, but am holding out for MM's Enlite and U.S.-version of the Veo that should be out by mid-year or so.

Like you mentioned, MM is already integrated and that is a big item for me when considering these D-devices.

As much as the G4 and t:slims look appealing, and there's future integration in the works a couple years down the line, I'd rather just weight a handful more months and get the MM - which will also offer the only Low Glucose Suspend option we have here in the States.

Waiting is worth it for me, as tough as it may be to hold out...

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If you have a working transmitter, you will be able to use it with the new Medtronic sensors. So what I'm saying is that you can order a Dex system and try it out, and then when the Veo/Enlites are released, upgrade his pump and order a box of the MM sensors and try it out.

For example, we are out of warranty on my son's Medtronic pump. His MM transmitter warranty will run out sometime in March, I believe. Once the transmitter warranty expires, I plan to order a Dex system to have. Once the new MM pump comes out, I plan to upgrade to it, and order the new sensors, which will work with our old transmitters. Clear as mud? ;)

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

The CGM warranties are so relatively short that I wouldn't base your choice on what might be available later, but which system you actually want out of what is available *now*. When your transmitter warranty is up, if you still want to switch, you can... you're not locked in for 4 years, it's less than a year now for all of them, so there's really very little risk unless you have a relatively high deductible.

9. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

We switched from MM to Dex G4 and love it! The integration was nice but it was a pain to have to dig for his pump in the middle of the night if I needed to look at it. The Dex sits on his desk now and I can easliy view it. He did however, lose his receiver and we had to buy a replacement. We opted to buy the replacement instead of going back to MM as the difference was so great for us! Hunter is now pumping with the t:slim and we hope to see integration sometime but area very happy with the decisions we made. We spent too much time waiting for MM to bring out the new sensors.