- advertisement -

sensor alarming that ds is low......

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sweetkid4, Jun 15, 2010.

1. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

but he is over 300! What did I do wrong??? Can a sensor kink, or start to bend and cause it to "go bad"???

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

William is on the Nav but if the sensor gets pulled out or is almost out we start getting low readings - or just a LO on the cgms.

3. sweetkid4

A couple of days ago we started having this same problem...I changed out the sensor and found that it was almost out. Today it started again, when I took the sensor out the "cannula" was bent into almost a 90 degree angle- but no "kinking" just a nice rounded bend........could that have caused it?

4. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

There are so many things that can cause this - we have the same issue sometimes and we use the MM sensor as well. If he is dehydrated at all, or just not well-hydrated, the readings can be off. If he has bumped the transmitter/sensor combo and jarred it, the sensor readings can go low. If Jayden bumps hers, or falls on it, the numbers start dropping and won't come up.

Check your ISIG and see what that number is. We find that ours either drops extremely low or goes way up high. Either way, it shows that the sensor is completely off.

Sometimes you can just turn off the sensor in the pump, and then turn it back on and tell the pump it's a new sensor. We have saved a few that way. Most of the time, though, we just have to count that one as a loss and start over!

5. sweetkid4

Thank for this info!!!! The 1st time it happened he was very hot and thirsty playing outside, and the 2nd time he was at basketball camp:rolleyes:

I was not told anything about the ISIG........what is it and what does it tell me?? I know where to find it, LOL...but that is it!

6. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

This is what drove me NUTS about the MM!!!

7. sweetkid4

Is it only MM that does this??? Are you using something else now, or no sensor at all???

8. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

We switched to the Dexcom. So far the readings have been much more accurate than we ever had with MM. One night we had problems getting it to calibrate - that was weird, but aside from that, the Dex hasn't been off by more than 50 points. I find that by day 6, the numbers are a little more off than they should be so Evan typically doesn't wear his sensor for the whole 7 days.

9. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

Thread about ISIG:

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=51528&highlight=isig

There are others you can find if you search ISIG.

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Why? I use the dexcom and I have similar experiences towards the end of the "useful life" of the sensor... the readings get "flat" and trends much lower than my BG really is... when I calibrate I'm usually at least 30-40pts higher.. I often get low alarms when I'm not low. That's usually the indication that it's time to give up on that sensor and start another.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

All sensors will do this. Its just the nature of a sensor.

We don't see these types of problems unless she's either moving very quickly (and it take a few minutes for the sensor to catch up) or the sensor is dying. Sometimes at night we'll see a very quick drop and rise, that would be from her sleeping on it.. but thats rare and very obvious when it happens.