- advertisement -

Send me your best brain foods...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Dec 1, 2013.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We're mailing a care package in the next week or so to support our college student during finals weeks. They have these horrible care packages you can buy into that include pop tarts, easy Mac, twizzlers, etc. Not what a T1 (or anyone for that matter) needs.

What are your favorite thinking foods, the ones that don't spike and have some lasting power. Insulin needs aren't a factor; being no carb is NOT high on the list, just foods that don't go all wonky hours later!

So far I'm planning stuff like Kind bars, nuts and corn nuts, microwave popcorn maybe?, some MIO energy, protein bars, beef jerky, maybe some homemade dark chocolate and almond bark.

Ideas appreciated!

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

almond bark??? that sounds really odd! ( sorry no ideas from me)

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Is bark not what others call it? Melted chocolate with whatever mixed in...in this case we thought dark chocolate with roasted almonds mixed in, spread it out and let it harden back up, break into bits. YUM.

I make chocolate/peppermint bark, oreo bark, White chocolate/pistachio bark, etc. Possibilities are endless!

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Not here LOL I imagined peelings from the actual almond tree trunk.. :eek: Chocolate with yummy bits in sounds ... well.. YUMMY!

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Love almond bark. And almond brittle. And cashew brittle. But I'm getting sidetracked... :D

Since nuts aren't an issue, how about peanuts? There's a certain satisfaction to opening them and watching the shells pile up. Or pistachios? Yum!

Popcorn is a great idea. How about those soup mixes for individual cups of soup? Packs of crackers with PB or cheese? Maybe some protein drinks? My son likes the Carnation instant breakfast bottles (he drinks the reduced sugar ones it helps prevent spiking when he drinks it with his afternoon snack) and I like the Special K ones. Granola bars are good - I haven't had the Kind brand but love Clif and Fiber One for solid snacks.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Peanuts/pistachios in shell are a brilliant idea, thanks! I bet the physical act of opening them will help with staying awake too. I'm hedging on protein drinks only because of the weight to ship but I do have some powdered drink replacement type things I may include, same thing but not premixed. I sent him some PB and crackers today (he was home for Thanksgiving) and some soups, so he's set there.

Keep the ideas coming, thanks!

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Peanuts and popcorn sound good. Maybe sunflower seeds? My grandma also makes this healthy homemade trail mix that is really good....

This sounds strange but my freshman year my parents sent me a box of bubble wrap (I love popping the bubbles...) during finals. My friends and I laid it out on the floor in the hallway and jumped on it and had fun popping bubbles :rolleyes::p

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

The idea about the bubble wrap got me thinking that something tactile would be nice so maybe some play dough or modeling clay or a stress ball

Also, maybe some fine tip or regular scented markers. Scent is the strongest sense linked to memory so maybe they would help during the exam. I never did the scented markers thing, but I am sure I would be allowed to bring them in because I write with disability services.

With diabetes, you have to bring a lot of stuff to the exam. I bring everything I could possibly need right down to a spare meter. So some kind of clear carrying case might be good to have. So there is transparency for the proctor. (Some proctors will want to look at all your items.)

I like sugar free energy drinks quite a lot

9. coni

coni Approved members

Chewing gum. Studies show chewing gum while studying or taking tests improves concentration.

Brain food? How about fish? Canned tuna or anchovies. I'M KIDDING!

Good luck to your college student!

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

These are just basic finals, not proctored/standardized testing. He pretty much shoves his supplies in his pockets and so far hasn't been harassed, everyone seems to respect his needs pretty well. I can guarantee my 19y/o male isn't going to carry anything even remotely that he had to carry, but I do appreciate the idea.

As far as I know he mostly relies on his cgm during tests. The supplies I am sending are generally for studying leading up to finals, classes ended today so they have a week or so of hard core studying, I wanted to send some good snacks for that.

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Thanks all, the package is on the way: gum was included, as was peanuts in the shell...I like both for the tactile component. A trail mix type combo that had nuts, corn nuts, pretzels (all chipolte flavored), some peanut M&Ms (lots of nuts!), Energy Mio, Kind and Power bars, microwave popcorn, dark chocolate/almond bark, and then some buck sticks (basically a healthier version of slim jims made out of venison).

Classes ended today and now they have "dead week" with lots of studying, finals are next week sometime.