- advertisement -

Self Proclaimed D expert - rambling vent!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by kiwimum, Feb 15, 2010.

1. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Took Tyler to our new GP for some more insulin.

Dr starts by saying he is an expert in D and has worked closely with a famous D dr in NZ - Dr So and So. (Never heard of him!) Turns out he is an adult Endo not a childrens one. But that's ok, cause this Dr is a childrens D expert!:rolleyes:

Asks when Tyler was dx. "3 yrs ago" says Tyler.

Asks to see Tyler's pump, looks at the blank screen and just says "Cool". Asks what insulin he uses. "Novorapid", says Tyler.
    "What? No NPH as well?" asks Dr Expert.:(

Then tells us how he and the 'famous' Dr invented a needleless injection for Insulin but then pumps came along so it got shelved. (This Dr is in his 30's at the most so I doubt pumps were only invented in the last 5 yrs or so - in fact I KNOW they weren't.)

Tells us that they do an A1c test. "Do you know what that is?":( Ummm, we have only been getting them every three months for the past 3 yrs.

Asks Tyler how he feels about D. (Finally a sensible question.) Tyler says he is ok with it. Dr Expert then tells Tyler that D is all in the mind and if you can get your mind around carbs and insulin then you can live to 100 without complications. But if you can't get your mind around it all, you will lose your sight and get kidney disease and amputations. WTF!? Tyler knows this - he is 14 but he doesn't need to be reminded or made to feel it will be his fault.:mad:

Then he asks me and Carl how we deal with it. I just mentioned that sometimes letting the umbilical cord go can be tough. "Well, I think you just need to get over it all!":mad:

Then he questioned how often we test. Frowned when I said it was at least 6 but with sport, lows and highs, more likely 10+.
    "It should only be 4 times a day!" says Dr Expert with a roll of the eyes.
    Well, it's not and we don't! :mad:

Left the appt rolling our eyes and thinking 'WHATEVER!':rolleyes:

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Wow, Debs! You've found THE Expert. In what, not sure yet, but a few names do come to mind.:rolleyes:

3. Toni

Toni Banned

Anyone in the D world hear of the expert Richard Grey or Gray of Philly? His sage advice was quoted to us in the PICU by head doctor who manages the PICU at Shriners when she had VBS surgery. Disagreed with night-time testing; yes, even claimed that "studies have proven tight control is worthless." We never heard of him and there are many other experts I would listen to but, apparently, this guy is "tops in his field" and the only expert we should be listening to.:rolleyes: Very educated doctor who figured out proper dosing of IV insulin and dextrose drip they kept her on for 24 hours after surgery. Coincidentally, he managed her so well her sugars were between 80 and 110 the whole time, so go figure!

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Ahhh so THATS where the BS expert is!! He's been hiding out there in NZ all the time:rolleyes: As soon as I hear expert thats all I can think of. Is that they are real good at laying it on thick and trying to make themselves look real smart. This one showed his stupidity throughout the appt it looks like. What an a$$ for saying something that dumb to a child :mad: I hope you never have to go back to this "expert" again Debs

5. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Thankfully (or not!) he is only our everyday Dr and not the endo. Tyler had an endo appt in Oct but because we have moved to a different part of the country, we can't see the new endo until May. Our insulin supplies won't last us that long!!

I just hate 'experts' who obviously aren't. If he was an 'expert, why is he a GP and not an endo? I'm sure there are plently of people around the world who could use his 'expertise' in D management!;)

He even got the branch of military that Carl is in wrong. Carl was at the appt in uniform and Dr Expert informed us that he used to be in the Navy, "just like your dad!"

Umm, that would be an Air Force uniform he was wearing - quite different to the Navy one!

Knob!!

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Was his name Dr. Oz?

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Thats scary for someone NEW who doesn't realize he's talking out his butt.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Haha, I was wondering that too.:D

9. buggle

buggle Approved members

Since he's a GP, I wonder if he's an expert on all other health matters too. :rolleyes:

Good one, Carla. :D

10. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Well I'm an expert in dentistry! Every 6 months I work closely with my close and personal friend, Dr. L who invented spearmint flavoured dental floss, but peppermint came along so it got shelved.

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

LOL Ya nut!!!:D

12. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Well, I'm no expert (!) but I don't think Dr Expert can blame the shelving of his needleless injection on the advent of the pump.

I am pretty sure there is a clue as to the real reason in the following statement. See if you can spot it!!

"I tried the invention on myself using saline. It bloody hurt like hell."

Apparently it used compressed air to deliver the dose just under the skin. They took their inspiration from Star Trek!:rolleyes:

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Cpt. Kirk - I.think.He.is.A.nut.with.A.diploma.

Spock - I concur, James. A highly logical conclusion given the provided data.

Patrick Star - Where am I?

SpongeBob - Spaceflight. I'm ready! I'm ready.

14. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

LOL I was thinking Dr. OZ too! Either way, the guy you met makes Elmer Fudd look like Einsteins redneck brother. :D

15. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Yikes! I would find a new GP. You'll still need to see him for other things and who knows what nutter advice he'll come up with.

Good grief!

16. buggle

buggle Approved members

The guys sounds like a comedy routine. :p Wow.

This guy didn't invent the needle-free/extra-pain injection, BTW. Forty years ago, I got an air injection for a vaccination at school and I would concur that it hurt like bloody hell. :) So these clowns couldn't even come up with an original idea, it seems.

I'd be doctor hunting too. But I hope you got your Rx for insulin out of him and now you have some good material to give people a laugh. Too bad you guys didn't film the entire thing.

17. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

As luck would have it, we are a very healthy family and don't go to the GP much. Can't remember the last time Tyler had to see one.

And as luck would have it again, he is one of 3 GP's in the practice and not the one we would normally see.

I did say to Carl the night before that we were probably in for a treat! And, yes Rella, we did get our rx. And I too wish we had filmed it looking back. At the time we were just thinking "Blah blah blah!":D

18. sooz

sooz Approved members

Dr. Spork concurs.

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You know Deb, the only positive thing about this story is that it happened to a strong, wise and skilled D mom (and kid). I know that you can handle it - and that you've got us to vent to, but imagine the poor D parent without your knowledge and your experience having to rely on Dr. Dork ... ugh!

Would you think of calling up your usual doc to suggest the Dr Smartypants zip it on the subject of D??? ( lol - did I just do a clumsy impersonation of Ellen :p I think I did!)