- advertisement -

Self Check

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by akgiauque, May 3, 2011.

1. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Kaylee checked herself yesterday for the first time, She is 4 1/2. I loaded the strip int othe meter but she cocked the lancet and squezzed the blood and then used the meter.

I have been waiting for this day and have to ask, How old were your kids when they checked the forst time? When did you give them total autonomy for checking their BS?

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Since he was 7 at DX, our situation is different...but after a very short time (I forget how long, maybe a few weeks) he took over his testing completely (aside from reminders to test).

I doubt a 4.5 year old could be expected to do all her own checks without help, but it sounds like you reached an important milestone just now! yay I say let her do as much of it herself as she is willing to do, but don't push it yet.

GL!

3. kidsmakes7

kidsmakes7 Approved members

Kaylee - You're AWESOME!! How brave is that!!

Now go tell your mom you get ice cream for desert tonight! ;)

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Wowey! A round of applause! You all should be so proud of your brave girl!!:D

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Dx at 4, probably started poking herself or "helping" within a year ( honestly can't remember). Personally, I figure they have their whole lives to do it on their own ... so I'm not big on pushing or even making it a goal. But as long as a kid is only doing what is comfortable and safe, them more power too them.;)

6. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

WOW thats great! My DS is 5.5 yrs old and wants nothing to do with checking his own BG, which I am fine with. Maybe by the time he is 15 ;)

My girlfriends little girl starting doing it when she 4 and is 6 now and a pro!

7. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

That is so great. I have a student who was dx in kindergarten and started checking within a year or so. My DD was 10 at Dx so started right away. I wouldn't say she is 100% dependent yet but only really gets help when she is really tired or sick. Of course we do her night checks too.

8. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

DD was dx at 4 and the nurse quickly taught her to do her own bg checks when she returned to school the week after diagnosis. She is 5 now and still does many of her own checks, but must show the number to an adult as she sometimes transposes the numbers and a 120 could be read as a 210.

The catch is that when her bg is low or high, then she will often not cooperate enough to check it herself.

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Way to go! She's already braver than me because I can't check myself :eek:

No idea on mine - it's been a long time and it all runs together after awhile. :eek:

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I wouldn't plan on her being autonomous for quite a while. There is a large amount of development that needs to occur between being able to test the sugar and being responsible about it.

I still keep close track on what happens with my son. I check his meter daily and discuss what to do about out of range sugars.

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I've been very slow to ask Daniel to do anything D-related on his own. I agree with the person who posted that they'll have their whole lives to do this on their own--and I wanted to shoulder the burden for a while. However, now that he's more keen to go over friends' houses, I think him being able to test himself will give him more freedom. We have started having him do it when he wants to.

The first time he did it completely on his own, however, was a couple of weeks ago. We were headed up to visit my mom in the Poconos--a trip that usually only takes 1 1/2 hours. However, construction on the turnpike turned it into a more than 4 hour trip sitting in practically parked traffic--which extended over lunch time! I was concerned about him going low, but couldn't reach back to test him myself. So, I handed back the glucometer and told him to give it a go. He did GREAT, and was so proud of himself!:)

Luckily, he was running a little high. I did have plenty of snacks if he needed them--but he was able to hold out until we got to the next rest stop--where we had lunch instead of eating at mom-mom's as planned. Still had a fun time with my mom once we FINALLY got there!

12. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Thanks

:)Ihanks also for the input, comments and snack advice. I knew that this was a milestone and could not help but wonder how we compared in the grand scheme ot things. It is hard dealing with this dailly and we want to be ontop of it if we can. I was suprised that she wanted to do it. She is not able to read the numbers yet but I know that is coming.
    We (my wife and I) do not push her to do anything D related. We have a hard enough time keeping up with the changes and how diet, illness, excersise and all other aspects of life effect her BS.
    That said, I was very proud of her and wanted to share, it seems like the positives of Diabetes is greatly outweighed by the negatives.

G