- advertisement -

Seizure and unconsciousness

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, May 17, 2012.

1. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

8 1/2 years. Never. She has had d-related hospitalizations, but that came from her low immunity/anemia/other problems.

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

2 1/2 years, one low where I had been asleep and would not wake up until my sugar came up a bit and one low where I acted strange and don't remember what happened... never been hospitalized for d though=)

3. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Connor has been T1 for 3 years and has never gone unconscious or had a seizure. He has had lows in his sleep that have not woken him that I have caught because I do night tests.

4. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My husband and son

My husband has been a type 1 for 30+ years. I only know of two episodes - once he went unconscious and we called EMS for SUGAR shot (didn't really know about glucagon way back then - we were dating) and one other time he passed out at work. Pretty good track record! No hospitalizations.

My son has had diabetes for 2 1/2 years. No seizures or loss of consciousness. One hospitalization but that was due to stomach virus we couldn't get ahead of.

I think being in tune with your body is the best.

5. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello ashtensmomL

As a mother, a parent your fear is understandable, but even so you must not wind yourself up about something that might, maybe happen someday. Cross that bridge when and if, if you come to it.

You serve nobody winding yourself up with "what if" scenarios. The best any of us can do is meet the situation(s) once over with absolute relief, joy and humor. Lows are likely at some point... seizures not likely at all. Been diabetic (T1) well over forty years, lows more than once or twice... but, I can count on one hand the times I've been anywhere near a seizure. (most of them were caused in hospitals...) :(

6. redrider

redrider New Member

Hi,
    I've had diabetes 16 years. I have had a seizure, but I think it only happened because I was SUPER tired and low at the same time.:eek:
    When I'm awake it's easy to tell when I'm low, so it would be really hard to go so low I had a seizure.

So glad to see so many people who have never fallen unconcious or had seizures!! :D

7. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I know its scary and always in the back of our minds. My daughter is 9 diagnosed at 18 months of age. She had her first seizure in 2011 while we were on vacation. It was partially my fault as I woke her up in the morning so we can go to the coffee shop. I checked her she was in the 60's and had her bring her juice box with her thinking she would drink it on the way which I don't think she did. Once we hit the coffee shop she zoned out and I knew what was going to happen and caught her before she fell to the ground. I learned from this that next time she is low to drink her juice before getting up to go anywhere and to recheck her. It could have been avoided and I'm much more cautious now. Luckily it didn't ruin our vacation and from the time it happened to the time she left the hospital was a matter of 2 hours. As the day went on things got back to normal.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Never a seizure nor unconsciousness - the worst we had was at a water park, Atlantis, and my son ran off with my SIL to find chairs and I couldn't find them and I had the pack. When I did find them he was really low and was very disoriented. I got him back up but it was scary.

9. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

I had severe reactions occasionally as a kid. In the first year or two after I was diagnosed back in 84 at age five, I'd have convulsing seizures that my parents said were very scary. No clue why and docs never could figure it out. One day, they just stopped and didn;t happen again. I had some severe reactions where my parents would have to hold me down and force glucose into me, but didn't pass out. That has only happened to me once - in my early 20s at the office, when I was so tired I put my head down... and then regained consciousness on the floor with paramedics over me. Of course, I was NOT managing as I should've been at the time. My wife and I have been married now for about eight years and she has had to call paramedics a few times, because when I go very low I get violent - so our system is to be safe rather than sorry and have her end up battered thanks to my hypos. Again, much different these days of better monitoring and CGM use and that has stopped these scary hypos from happening for me.