- advertisement -

Seizure and unconsciousness

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, May 17, 2012.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Hi. My child has now been dx'd with type 1 for a year now. Thoughout this year one of my biggest worries is whether she will go so low that she falls unconsious and/or have a seizure. I know your diabetes varies, but I would like to hear from others whether they have been fortunate enough to never have had an episode of seizure or never have gone unconsious. Also please state how long you have been diabetic if you have never had an episode. Thx so much.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've had diabetes for almost 5 years. I have had a low where I 'collapsed,' but I didn't lose consciousness, it was more a case of not being able to walk. In the worst of those cases I did fall to the ground, but I could get back up again in seconds, so it wasn't a loss of consciousness or a seizure, just a lot of weakness from a low BG. I have also lost my memory from bad lows (doesn't happen so much anymore, but it used to be that if I went below ~45 I just wouldn't have any memory of the time where I was low).

But that's the worst that has happened - no seizures, no unconsciousness. My lowest BGs have been LO on my meter, so not readable, and I've had a couple in the 20s.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Son has been dx'd 14.5 years and never had a seizure or been unconscious.

4. ashtensmom

Thx Emma and Amy for your response (always love reading posts from you two). This eases my mind a whole lot even though I realize that ydmv. Is nice to hear positives now and then. I know a lot of poster are on here when they need help, myself included, and hence we read about hardships more than success. I hope more pwd will chime in so us parents can be more reassured that "things will be ok" more likely than not

5. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

My son has been dx'd nearly 5 years, never had a seizure or lost consciousness. He's been as low as 30's a few times.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Almost 10 years and no seizure, unconscious episodes or D related hospitalizations.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've been on insulin about five and a half years and have never lost consciousness due to hypoglycemia. I have had what is classified as severe hypoglycemia; episodes in which I became hypoglycemic while I was asleep (three out of four episodes happened while I was wearing a CGMS) and when I woke up didn't really fully wake up and thought and acted in bizarre ways until my blood sugar came up.

From what I've read, rates of hypoglycemia that result in seizure or loss of consciousness varies a lot from one population to another; the lowest rates, in children on pumps, is about one seizure or coma per 26 kids per year.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22417321

It's definitely not rare enough to ignore the possibility, but it is rare enough that a lot of people avoid ever having a hypoglycemic seizure.

8. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I've been a type 1 for 46 years. My husband has had to call 911 five times in the middle of the night because he could not get me to eat or drink anything. I did have glucocon. Since I don't need it that often, it gets old and the doctor and myself don't think to get a new script. Also whenever I have the injection of glucocon, I am SICK for 24 hours. I haven't had to go to the hospital because after I get the IV of glucose and then something solid, I'm coherent enough to answer all the EMT's questions.

The firemen and the EMT's, are SURPRISED that in my 46 years we've only had to call 911 five times. I guess there's a diabetic near me who they have to visit on a monthly basis.

I should add that the 911 calls did not happen until the symptoms of menopause started. I never had a problem with night-time insulin reactions (hypos). It was after my hormones began to change that the problems began. It took several years for a pattern to develop.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  9. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

My husband was diagnosed 33 years ago, and hasn't ever lost consciousness or had a seizure. Prior to being on a pump, he was on NPH, and I probably had to call 911 about 5 or 6 times while we were married because he wasn't 'with it' enough to get him to eat or drink something.

We were just talking about lows the other night, and I asked him if they felt different on Novolog than they did on NPH because he's been at the same low numbers on Novolog that I had called 911 for on NPH, yet he can still function with the Novolog. He said that he thinks the lows with NPH would hit him so fast that he couldn't recognize them before they really affected his ability to think. With Novolog, he is able to recognize that something is wrong and test and treat.

Audrey was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago, and hasn't ever been unconscious or had a seizure. When she was first diagnosed I was terrified of bad lows after seeing what had happened to my husband before the pump - especially since almost all of his bad lows were in the middle of the night. It wasn't until I learned more about the different insulins and saw that Audrey is pretty hypo-aware that I stopped being so scared. I'll never stop testing at night, though.

10. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip has had diabetes for over 7 years and has never had a seizure or gone unconscious. He's had readings of LO (under 18) and still been awake, wobbly and 'off', but awake.

11. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

My daughter has lived with type 1 diabetes for almost 23 years.

Never once.

12. ashtensmom

thanks everyone. Your posts are very reassuring.

13. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

My husband has had diabetes for 31 yrs. I've known him for 15. Had to call 911 twice (this was before having a kid w/d. I knew hardly anything about diabetes). Have had to wake him with juice/frosting in the mouth about 4 times, as I felt him shaking next to me in the night.

Our daughter has had diabetes a little over 4 years. She has had one seizure. My fault completely, as I slept all night and did not test her.

I am guilty of letting the glucagon expire! Need to check that now. Wish that was a little easier/less intimidating to use. Think I'll practice on these expired ones:eek:

14. morningstar

morningstar Approved members

Have had diabetes since 1978, and last needed assistance with a hypo in 1980. I was 7yo.
    I live alone, and don't keep glucagon in the house.
    I grew up in the days before tight control and human insulins with reduced hypo awareness, and learned hypo recognition PDQ!

15. wildemoose

wildemoose Approved members

I've never had a seizure, been unconscious, or had a low where I was unable to help myself in the almost 19 years I've had diabetes. (I just realized my signature is wrong--I was diagnosed in 1993, not 1994, the summer before 4th grade.)

16. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've had diabetes over 40 years and have NEVER had a siezure, have had Low blood sugar reactions and have been unconscious, juice bring me out of it.

17. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

10 years of diabetes. No loss of consciousness, no seizures. Never been back to the hospital since diagnosis.

18. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

almost 5 year for one kid and 2 years for the other....never passed out, no seizures.....

19. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I'm feeling some reassurance from this thread. I admit I have mini panic attacks leaving DD with friends/family because I worry she will have major low that would cause unconsciousness and/or a seizure. I am hopefully my sweet girl will avoid this scary circumstance, but I guess the fear is always there.

20. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

14 years of D here.

no passing out and no seizures.