- advertisement -

Seem odd to you?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Jun 26, 2014.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

Agreed. I remember when we were first dx'd in 2006 I had read about blood ketone strips here and how important they were so I asked the CDE for an RX for them. She insisted we didn't need them and to keep using the urine ones. Truthfully I don't think she knew very much about them. ;) When I referred her to the Pink Panther Book that was a MUST READ in their practice, where they recommend the blood ketone strips, she quickly changed her mind and gave us the RX. Imagine that. ;)

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I also think it is human nature to become comfortable with the issues on the device you (general you) have and to be horrified by the issues that people have on the device you are not using. We don't have any issues with pools or waterparks, but it definitely requires futzing around that Pod users don't have to do. On the flip side, my son boluses for snack in his classroom by himself, and I can't imagine him then remembering to take the PDM down to the nurse's office at lunchtime, or when he might need a correction bolus, so that would require futzing for us.

People get entrenched with what they know and are suspicious of what they do not.

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Thank you for sticking to the purpose of the thread! hahaha.
    So well said

Yes she did which I completely forgot about but it was fine. The dr seems to think that she won't like it because she had one on for a day 3 years ago but it was the bigger one, She had no idea about pumps and then was scared to death when the cannula went in.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

They are smaller but they are still very sizable for smaller kiddos, It is much easier to get a regular pump site onto a small body. Especially if your kiddo has only a few spots that they are willing to try like my oldest! she would not do her tummy, she said she felt it there too much, and we tried the love handles but they never lasted there the whole 3 days. so it was arms / thighs and booty and that was shared with the Dexcom!

I believe that your kiddo and my youngest are about the same size at almost 40lbs, unless she is game for more than just arms and booty I think you might be in a realestate challenge! Just because they are so thin, but I guess if you are willing to pinchup and tilt back the pod while inserting then a shallow insertion may just work with minimal Sub Q tissue.

I still say if you are interested enough in the POD to pay OOP for the cut the cord you should.

PS.
    as many pumps that I have tried in my years, I am still in love with the Animas! I have the Accu-check combo sitting on the counter waiting to be put on my dd but I think it is not going to work out even with the pretty meter/remote and graphs!

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I know you were looking soo forward to the accuchek, it's a shame that it doesn't work for you.

Yea my daughter was just 37ish pounds at her last endo appt. She's a small kid and I can't use her stomach either. Even if she let me, there's just no fat, it's like rock hard lol.

DEXCOM WAS MAILED OUT!! I found out today and am soooo excitedddd =)
    I was planning on leaving arms open for Dex.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Its ok, it just solidifies that the Animas is the best pump for us to be CGMing with while my kids learn to become independent in their own care. I will stop looking and now have learned the questions I have to ask before buying it for a trial!