- advertisement -

Search for a host family in USA for German diabetic girl

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lara's father Germany, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lara's father Germany

Lara's father Germany New Member

Hello from Berlin, Germany,
    I am the father of Lara, a 15 year old diabetic girl (since the age of three), that is very eager to stay half a year in the USA as an exchange student, preferably starting this summer. The exchange organization we contacted is very concerned about her diabetes and the additional celiac disease that she developed at the age of 9, what means, that she is allergic to gluten (wheat and derivatives) and must not eat common bread, pastas and cakes. She takes her own gluten-free bread to school and going to a restaurant usually eats rice or potatoes. Fortunately there are lots of gluten-free foods suitable for her, including bread, pastas and cookies.
    Now we would like to ask for assistance in searching a friendly host family for Lara that is not discouraged by her diabetes and celiac. The formalities such as contact to school would be settled by an exchange organization (like EF = Education First).
    Lara fortunately had no serious complications up to now, she has an insulin pump since 3 years and is very happy with it.
    She is a very agreeable, positive thinking girl and well-liked by her classmates, she loves animals, music, going to cinema and plays violin in the school orchestra. She has an 11 year old sister and on vacation likes to go horseback riding in the summer and skiing in the winter. She is quite independent in the everyday life, took part in several school trips and travelled alone to visit a friend (who moved away from Berlin) during vacation.
    We would be very grateful for assistance or suggestions and could provide further informations if needed.
    Thank you
    Manfred Plueer

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I would love to do this, but our house wouldn't accomidate another person.. my girls already share a bedroom, which isn't very big.. My daughter has type 1 AND celiac as well, so I know what you are going through.. There are a few other families on here that deal with both issues.. maybe someone will have the room in their home.. I hope you do find someone that is able to do this.. I would hate for diabetes and celiac to stop her from doing what she wants to do.

Is there a specific part of the country she wants to see?

3. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I PM'd you. Check your messages.

4. parra

parra New Member

host family in the USA diabetes type1 friendly

Hi,
    I am helping my nephew from Mexico find a host family in the US, he is 16 and type 1 diabetes. He needs to learn English and we want a family that has a comfort level and experience with his condition. Did you find a host family for your daughter? I would appreciate much any ideas on where to look. Thanks

5. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Lara did find a host family here.

Parra, please PM me details (specific dates, language skills, interests) and I will ask my connectoins throughout the US.

6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

My daughter is a German student. Her teacher asked us in the Spring of 2012 if we would host a German student this fall (2013-2014) school year that has Type 1. We are excited about this opportunity and look forward to her arrival.

Glad the previous poster has found a solution. Our T1D kids deserve all the experiences possible in life.

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

We had good luck locating a family that was very excited about hosting here in the PNW. What happen was my cousin whom works for an international homestay group asked me if I new anybody, I sent out a msg to our local chapter and within hours had somebody interested.
    So, my suggestion is to first have your group that they'll be traveling with locate the local chapter of children with type 1 diabetes and then go from there. Usually the local children's hospitals will have support groups or you can even search for them and send a msg on facebook.
    HTH :)

8. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I've removed several posts that were unhelpful and not relevant.

We are personally familiar with the student referenced at the beginning of this thread, and the posts removed were not related.

Closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.