- advertisement -

Sea World messed with the wrong family!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by EmmasMom, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spamid

spamid Approved members

passing the word along...

I posted the link for this thread on the parent's board on www.diabetes.org website. I don't know how many of us frequent both boards, but they are also a knowledgeable, caring group of parents who fight daily for their kids.

Hope this is resolved soon!

Sharon (mom to Kathy)
    dx 8/1/05
    pumping with Cozmo since 9/13/06

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I respect Sea World wanting to protect the animals in their care from the dangers of straws and other plastic items. It would be prudent for Sea World to understand the need to get the liquid into toddlers quickly and to make sure we are responsible with respect to disposal of straws. We as a group may be more cautious than the average guest. Perhaps Sea World could provide a place to dispose of the straws or to ask guests with special needs children to please bring the used straws to certain locations within the park etc. I do not fault Sea World for wanting to protect the animals in their care. In fact, it would be abhorrent for them not to IMHO.

3. Dana

Dana Approved members

Gottcha! :)

4. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I think not only did Seaworld mess with the wrong family, they messed with the wrong web site in the process. I almost feel sorry for them imagining how crammed the inbox of their email must be with all of us coming to Emma's aide.

I understand Seaworlds policy regarding straws and it is good to see that they genuinely care for their animals well being but there has to be a way to for a special needs visitors to treat a potentially severe symptom ASAP and at the same time not endanger any of the animals in the park and regardless of how many first aid stations are available, the current policy isn't good enough. What upset me more than anything else was not so much the straw rule, but instead it was how Emma's family was treated. Amy had a legitimate reason for needing a juice box with a small straw handy but the response she got in return was basically "aaww, well isn't that just too bad".

If I EVER treated a customer with that kind of disrespect, my employer would've fired me in a heartbeat regardless if I was sticking to company policy or not. I did find some humor to all this and that was the rule where Emma wasn't allowed to miniature golf because she wasn't tall enough. I'm sorry but that rule is so absurd that it made me laugh.

5. WendyFL

WendyFL Approved members

Same here! And we have Sea World nearly in our backyard. We haven't been since my older two kids were very young, and before Jen was diagnosed; but I love SeaWorld! I am willing to write letters or whatever else I can do to support, though. This just stinks!!--And my daughter isn't real little anymore.;)

But their blood sugars can drop so fast!:eek: And the heat really does a number on Jennifer, too.

6. glorijeff

glorijeff Approved members

I just received a reply from Fran Stephenson of Sea World:

I appreciate that you took the time to contact me directly. My singular purpose in posting to the forum was to appeal to the family to contact us so that we can learn about their experience first-hand and to resolve any issues with them directly. Thanks again for your concern.

Fran Stephenson
    Director of Communications
    SeaWorld San Antonio
    210-523-3635

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

gee looks farmilar!?!?!

my email response from Fran
    yup, really concerned there.. mass email.. probably didn't even read my email.. anyone else?

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

Let's be very clear - Fran's singular purpose in posting here was in my view not to contact the family. She had many other avenues to do that, including just sending them an e-mail or private message via this site.

Fran's singular purpose in posting was to get out Sea World's side of the story. I appreciate the opportunity to hear it, but I deplore the lack of forthrightness.

I also note that Fran was "was shocked and dismayed" but what she saw in the forum, but that can be read in a number of different ways. I do not see any sign of an apology in her message.. So Emma's family had a "potentially negative experience"??? Hellooo!!!

I always try to teach my kids "when you're in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging.." I do not know about the rest of you, but Fran's spinmeistering has really annoyed me.

I should note that we spent a happy day at Marineland in Niagara Falls this spring. Lots of happy families, pleasant park, beautiful aquatic animals, exciting shows. No stupid straw rules. You were free to bring in your own food and drink, stroller, cooler, whatever. We had a wonderful time and will be back.

9. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Annoyed enough to send this:

August A. Busch IV, CEO
    Anheuser-Bush
    One Busch Place
    St. Louis, MO 63118

September 11, 2007

Dear Mr. Busch,

I am the parent of two Type 1 insulin dependent children. I have recently read first hand reports from other type 1 parents of remarkably poor treatment of a juvenile diabetic at Sea World.

In reading the online account of this situation I noticed that a leading national organization for Type 1 families, Children With Diabetes, has canceled events at future national conference that were scheduled for Sea World in Orlando for 2008 and beyond due to poor service in 2006. (http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=7019)

These two cases bring into question Sea World and Anheuser-Bush’s commitment to the safety of those who face serious medical challenges but may look fairly normal.

I believe in fair play so if Sea World is getting a bad wrap, I would like to know Shamu’s side of the story. Unfortunately your PR staffer who replied online seems to have done little but fan the flames and stampeded many families to Disney.

Type 1 diabetes is a autoimmune disease. Unlike type 2 it is not a function of lifestyle. These kids are type 1 24/7/365 through no fault of their own. They can not take a day off their diabetes care to enjoy your parks. I know from experience that the excitement, exercise and adrenalin associated with theme parks often make blood glucose management difficult for families in theme parks.

The FDA estimates there are about 1.6 million American families with a type 1 family member. Will Sea World, will you, make your parks accessible to these families who must do dozens of finger stick blood test and shots every day and may need to immediately provide glucose, often as juice, to avoid insulin shock? Or have you simply written us off as an undesirable demographic?

In addition to being the father of Type 1 kids, I am a big fans of theme parks. I write DisneyWithDiabetes.com. I would be happy to highlight your commitment to making Anheuser-Bush parks type 1 friendly there.

I look forward to your response.

Very Truly Yours

10. Flutterby

you go Bennet!! I'd like to see the response of Mr. Busch on that one!

11. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Well if they respond, you will see it.

I blogged some related thoughts at http://YDMV.net trying to get my head into a better frame of mind about this.

12. SamsMom

SamsMom Approved members

That was great, Bennet. Loved the "undesirable demographic" part. I suspect that may be what we are to them. Too much trouble, big pains in the rear, not worth the effort.

13. bogusrogus

bogusrogus Approved members

So last night was the first night that my husband and I had dinner together since Amy's first post. So I was explaining what happened, he got really mad and looked at me and said "Oh I'd be all up in their kool-aid, and I know what the flavor is":mad:. He was like wait a minute, has Sea World not heard of the ADA?
    Just thought I would tell y'all that.

14. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

That was great!! I loved it. I will be checking back more frequently.

15. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Great blog, Bennett.

16. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Bennett, you hit the nail on the head with that blog. Thanks!!!

17. Flutterby

I agree.. that was great:) I hope someone 'at the top' finally 'gets it'.... if not.. they are going to keep getting slammed but emails and letters..

18. franstep

franstep New Member

19. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Jeff, can you get this started as a new thread?

20. Flutterby

Since you are new to the forum, I'd like to point out the date of this thread was back at the beginning of September.
    I also don't see anywhere in my post where i was rude, I was telling it like it is in an emergency situation.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.