- advertisement -

Science Project Preparation Help Anyone?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Artemis94, May 13, 2010.

1. Artemis94

Artemis94 Approved members

Hey, peeps. :cool: Sorry I haven't been on for a *REALLY REALLY REALLY* long time. I have been going through a rather stressful move. 5 minutes down the road. I suppose its better than moving half-way across the country to Texas though...
    ANYWAY, I am doing a science project on how bolusing a certain amount of time before eating, even if your blood sugar is in range, will effect how high your blood sugar eventually goes. I've always been curious about this because, well, my endo bandies it about so often and I really want to know just how effective it is.
    This is going to rather tricky though. How does one create as isolated an environment as possible to take these observations? Just how paranoid do I need to be?? Do I need to reach Charlie Asher stage paranoia? :confused:
    Either way, I'm very excited about this project. It will give me a change to show my physics teacher that I do, in fact, have at least a semblence of an idea of how to handle my own diabetes. (He tried to convince me yesterday to only eat brown rice, rasins, and beans mixed together. One spoonful every 15 minutes. For the rest of my life. Because THAT is apparently what diabetics need to do.) I know, he's crazy right? lol ;)

2. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

Hehe, maybe you should eat that food to show how much you would need to bolus for it. :p

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

LOL, are you allowed to sleep? Do you have to wake up every 15 minutes overnight to eat it?

That would be a lot of food!

I would just make sure to do a LOT of tests for each amount of prebolus, and find an average, to get rid of any weird results. You'll need to eat the same thing, obviously, because some foods naturally raise BG faster.

4. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

same foods, maybe do one starting in range, one starting 100-ish above and 30-40 below range? check every 20 minutes, at the least. i don't suppose you could get your hands on a cgm for it, that'd be really cool and make it a TON easier......

5. Artemis94

Artemis94 Approved members

I know, right? He said he'd do whatever he could to keep his bgs perfect, but you know what? I sort of enjoy sleep. ;)

And no, no chance of getting my hands on a cbg. It would have been nice and my fingertips wouldn't hurt quite so much. But I ate the same food every time and bolused very accurately. I weighed everything to within 1 gram. Oh, and I made sure my site was new.

Haha, I finally told Pete (yeah, my school refers to our teachers by their first names seeing as there are only 26 people in the school) off and he looked a bit sheepish. He trusts that I know what I'm doing now. :D

Btw, does anyone know the accuracy of a onetouch ultra link meter? I'm trying to add error bars to the graphs. :eek: