- advertisement -

schools with no nurse

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jbmom1b2g, Feb 26, 2012.

1. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

For those of you with young kids and there is no school nurse how does it work. Right now we are in an area where all the schools have nurses, but where we would like to end up to my understanding is not a school nurse on site. I ask because the other day our nurse was gone and her sub didn't show up. Luckily I was already working in the lunchroom so I could go in and give her her shot.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son's school didn't have a nurse. I choose to teach him how to give his shot when he was 8. He used an inject ease device. I filled up a syringe with 3 units more than was needed for lunch and he would push out what wasn't needed for lunch (he was above range sometimes). I left the syringe in the office and trained the secretary how to look at the syringe to verify the amount was correct.

This worked until he went on the pump at 12.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

If this is a public school, by law, they must have someone on site who can assist you child with their diabetes management. This doesnt have to be a nurse but many staff members dont want to take the responsibility to learn how to do this.

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We are a smaller district and there aren't any nurses on the district payroll.

If it's a public school they must provide someone to care for your child. They do not have to be a nurse (well in some states they do, CA comes to mind, they have a crazy situation). Anyway in elementary school we trained the two secretaries, and a few of the recess/lunch aides. Also the school assigned her a parapro who we also trained. The parapro assisted her at lunch and starting in 3rd grade would go to her in the classroom for lows/snacks. That way dd missed less class time.

Every year I wrote up detailed instructions (much could be used year after year, not all). Even to the point of writing step by step, button push by button push instructions for the pump for the basic functions. Every year I trained new aides if necessary. I carry my cell phone with me everywhere and am fortunate enough to have a job/employer that is very understanding about me answering it whenever necessary. My boss has told me many times that no matter what I'm doing or what meeting I'm in (not that my job is very important at all lol) I can excuse myself to answer my phone. Or leave if necessary. Family first. That has been a HUGE help. I've told school staff to call me if they are ever in doubt.

DD has also attended before school care and summer camp through the school. I train those staff members the same way.

Now she's in middle school and mostly on her own. I've given staff a basic on assisting with lows and using glucagon but other than that and the 504 no serious details. If dd needs help or has a question she has permission to text me or call if really necessary.

HTH

5. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

Good to know. Taylor will be on the pump in April.

6. Vanwood

Vanwood New Member

hi, when my daughter was in primary school, i had to go into school to do her lunchtime insulin, teaching asistants etc who monitored my daughter, were not allowed to give injections, apparntly only adrenalin inj for peanut allergy...
    they had a school nurse but she wasnt based at one school, now my daughter in secondary school, they still only have a nurse that travels from school to school. now she in secondary school she allowed to carry her equipment with her, and now injects herself, the school are familiar with diabetics, and the nurse draws up a care plan for all teachers to be aware of what to do in emergency etc, i do feel they are more laid back in secondary school though.....vanessa.

7. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

Our schools do not have a nurse everyday. There has always been a team trained to care for Zach, including giving him a shot if need be (he is on a pump now). He is almost 8 now, so he can do most of it himself, we just need someone to double check numbers (he transposes them sometimes). having the PING really helps.

When he was in pre-K and no pump, his daycare and then the school had someone trained to give shots. We were always available via phone to double check, but we have had very little problems.

8. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

Our school didn't have a school nurse when ds was Dx in Jan so I trained the elementary school secretary on how to do the bg tests and give the insulin shots. I or my husband are available by cell phone at all times and i am in constant communications with her during the day about what he eats and how much insulin to give - if he can go to PE/recess or ride the bus home. There has since been a new nurse hired but she is only on school budget for 6 hours a week.
    The good thing about living in a "small" town is the clinic is only a couple blocks away and the high school nurse is an EMT. The hospital is about 20 minutes away.
    Ds is already wanting to do his own bg tests and would do his own shots but his hands are still too little to hold the pen and push the button. He will be 6 soon.:D

9. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

My child was diagnosed 3 months after starting kindergarten. He attends a small, private school. I was completely overcome with everything including who on earth would take care of him at school. The school does not have a nurse, he couldn't read yet, he couldn't tell time yet and he sure couldn't do all of the diabetes stuff himself!

He was diagnosed on November 30th and he was back in school in the afternoon on December 1st. I actually went back and forth to the school 3-4 times a day for about a week even though I was also working (I was an emotional wreck and far beyond exhausted), but then the school administrator took the lead in testing and administering shots.

She does his after breakfast, before lunch and after lunch checks and gives him his after lunch shot. On gym days, she also does his before and after gym checks. She sends an email to me immediately after each check with the number and if it is out of range, I instruct her accordingly. The school does have his ratios, correction dosages, signs of highs and lows and all of the other stuff blown up and taped on the wall of the first aid office just in case they can't reach me. There are a couple of backups in case the administrator is out, but luckily, that's only happened two afternoons since November 2011.

I also send his lunch every day and in his lunch box, is a list of all the foods in there, the carb counts and the amount of insulin he should get. The administrator makes sure that he eats everything before she gives the shots.

I also send a morning snack and afternoon snack that are less than 15 carbs each so he does not have to get shots for those (yet).

This is working for us now. I am lucky to have someone that is interested in keeping him safe although I sometimes feel like we are big burden, but it is what it is. I know of someone in a local public school with a nurse that they are not very fond of so I guess sometimes having a nurse at the school does not always guarantee peace of mind.

I will say that he does run in the low 200's at school some days in the afternoons but, quite frankly...that makes me feel safer than him hovering around 100 in case he drops because I don't think that his classroom teacher is very observant and she may not notice a low fast enough.

I hate to wish his childhood away, but I will rest a bit easier when he is a little older and can do more himself.

10. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We have one nurse for about 18 schools. Needless to say she isn't taking care of all of the diabetics on a day-to-day basis. We trained, with the nurses help, 3 individuals at my DD's school when she was smaller (she was in 2nd grade at diagnosis). It worked out well, other than the usual bumps along the way. Also I always make sure I am reachable by phone in the event of questions.

11. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

It's really nice that now the schools have to do something to help the diabetic child. I didn't have that when I was growing up with diabetes. But I was lucky in that I did know the school nurse and she told me where she kept the key. But I also only was taking one shot of insulin then. I was also the only type 1 diabetic in my town. So it's really nice that by law the school districts have to give assistant to the diabetic child. It was up to me to take care of myself.