- advertisement -

Schools obligations: Public vs Charter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by D-Dad, Apr 26, 2011.

1. D-Dad

D-Dad Approved members

We are considering a Charter school which does not currently plan to have a nurse. I know it's difficult to force a nurse in a private school. Is a Charter school under the same obligation as a public school or is it more like a private school?

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Federal funds is the key. So if they offer free and reduced lunch or get money to have student go there on scholarship set by the state as an alternative place or choice and they pay.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It shouldn't matter, charter or regular public school, they have to provide someone trained to care for your child, but that does not mean that they have to provide a nurse.

4. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

A charter school is not a private school. Many are funded by universities and other corporation. They are bound by the same laws as public schools. Good luck!

5. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

A charter school IS a public school. While it may be sponsored by a university or another organization ... and may even be run by a private company, it is still funded by the state and as such is required to follow state laws. The only difference between it and a regular public school is defined by the charter school laws in your state ... these differences typically focus on governance and staffing, but should not, to my knowledge, impact anything related to serving children with diabetes.

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

The only schools that are exempt are schools that are run by churches or other religious organizations. All other schools private and public must comply with federal and state law.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'm not sure if this varies by state or district or what, but our local charter does not have to admit everyone, in fact they have criteria and a waiting list. So before you go in with guns blaring, I'd find out if that's true for your charter school as well, as an assertive approach regarding adding more staff may just get you denied. Yes, it is a public school but I think the rules are different so far as who may enroll, it's not just assumed you'll get in in our area.

Depending on the age of the child, I don't personally think a nurse is always needed, so long as there is someone on staff who is trained and available that would be enough for me personally, but I also have a child who self manages.

8. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

There is the law and there is strategy. You are absolutely correct that going in 'guns blazing' may just keep the child out of the charter school. Most charter schools are able to select the kids that attend because it is not based only on geography. Usually you have to apply and some sort of criteria, or random lottery is used to select the students. It would be grossly illegal for a charter school to not select a child because the child has diabetes or requires a 504 or special help with dealing with diabetes. But let's be honest - could you prove discrimination? So the strategy is 1) get accepted into the charter school and then 2) request a 504 meeting and arrange for a trained person(s) to be there to help with diabetes care - not the reverse order.

9. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Be aware as well that the reality is that most charter schools are run on a very tight shoestring budget because they are not funded for facilities. They also have very little oversight in comparison to a regular public school. I have much experience in this realm and I had concerns sending my son to one for three years when he just had asthma and was not d yet. They wanted parent involvement so I was there most days, that helped. With D, be aware that they might not be able to afford much in the way of a clinic person, she might be also doing the front desk, answering the phone, doing admin work, etc. and might be getting lunch breaks from parent volunteers or other random admin people. You might end up having to train whoever is in charge there as far the clinic. Even at the regular public school my son went to after his dx with t1dm, I had to train the gal who ran the clinic. We learned together and she became quite good. Bottom line they will need your support and guidance to handle the situation - and the foremost concern is that your child is safe, not to make them happy. You can never be too careful.