- advertisement -

School vs Homeschool

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lodiej, Mar 17, 2009.

1. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

When our DD was dx'd during 3rd grade, we were homeschooling. We homeschooled for 17 years. It is a very rewarding and yet very challenging life choice. My 2 oldest children were schooled from PK3 - 12th.

In 4th grade, our DD and 3 other siblings moved into the public school system. This decision was also the right one for our family. Now in our 2nd year of public school, it is also very rewarding.

Last night I was speaking with a gentleman whose daughter is 6yo and is blind. Someone else in the group asked about school and other activities and how limited she must be. I loved his answer, "We ask ourselves - why not? If the situation can be resolved by making accommodations, then she should be able to participate." He went on to explain that in PK3 and PK4, she attended a private preschool. She used scissors in class. When she went to public school, the IEP listed a requirement for alternative cutting device. When he questioned them about what and why, they said that she could get cut by the scissors since she is blind. He calmly explained that she had been using scissors for 2 years without incident.

The point as Nancy put above, is that diabetes is a factor but it should not be the final determining factor. Nancy said, "But, take the diabetes out of the equation and think about your 1st grader and why you are considering it. "

Evaluate your decision from the complete overall picture. If homeschooling is what you are drawn to for academic and family lifestyle reasons - great. If diabetes is the primary reason that you are considering it, look for a way to make the private school situation a workable soultion.

2. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I completely agree.

3. lodiej

lodiej Approved members

Thanks for your responses! It sure helps to be able to hear from parents on both sides! My D daughter wants to go to school, my heart wants to homeschool for many reasons, when D is added to the mix it sure makes the decision look easier. We are a very active family, but I am most concerned about the social aspect of homeschooling. I like the idea of having my children home and teaching them what we think is important. I think we will be just fine either way. Thanks again for all the great opinions!

4. cassie

cassie Approved members

Well I don't think keeping your child home is easier as some say. Nor will it keep him from learning about 'life'. I recently had one of my daughters friends say that if we homeschool we will be keeping her away from the bad people and she won't be able to learn how to deal with them.

At first I ignored it and then a couple of days later it really started to bug me. I started wondering how she was going to learn, and thinking about how important it is to know how to deal with bad people. Well I asked advice on the forum for my curriculum and wala, it was really a silly thing to worry about. There are bad people EVERYWHERE!

Walk out my front door and you will see kids playing in the street, cuss, doing drugs, talking about stuff that I didn't even know about until at least my late teens. She will have to learn how to deal with all kinds of kids at dance, soccer, swimming and whatever else we join.

We didn't decide to home school because our dd was diebetic but that was one of the things on our LONG list. Just because someone decides to homeschool just as if someone decided to use the ps or private school is not holding their child back. They as the majority of parents are choosing what they feel is best for their child. Not what is best for them.

I hope I didn't tick anyone off too much, I have nothing against public or private school. For my family home schooling is the best, for yours it may not be.

5. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

I hestated before posting because we are homeschooling primarily because of our local school's inability to care properly for our DD--which is a somewhat unpopular choice here. She was dxed the summer after K and did attend a full year of 1st grade. It was a disaster.

While I agree that our kids shouldn't ever let diabetes stand in the way of their hopes and dreams, I could not continue to send my daughter to a place that was unsafe for her.

As other posters have warned, DD does indeed think that diabetes is the reason we've made different choices for our family. But she also knows that it is OK to be different and that we should always try to make good choices for ourselves, even if it means doing something unpopular.

Just my 2 cents.

6. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Gwyn Thanks for posting this.
    I personally don't think that homeschooling because of diabetes is inherently a bad idea, nor do I agree with the PPs that kids who understand that D played a role in that decision will be hampered by that information. Choosing to homeschool a child because of D is no different than choosing to homeschool because of academic reasons, or bullying or any other reason. What will define the experience is not the moment of making the decision but everything that comes after that, and all the other messages we send our kids.

lodiej - we have found we have that the problem with socializing is that the kids have too many opportunities rather than not enough. We've also found that the kids really enjoy just being together and that they become very close.

If your heart is saying homeschool, I'd say give it a try. You can always reevaluate at a later date if you feel the situation warrants it.

Good luck with your decision
    Karen

7. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

As I read through this thread, two thoughts came to mind. One was brought up, what does your daughter want - and you mentioned this later. I would keep this in mind and not let diabetes rule your decision making if you can help it. :cwds:

The second thought was both might be great options for you. Sometimes there isnt a "right" or "wrong" answer. Choosing to homeschool the first year doesn't also rule out that down the road you absolutely cannot choose to go to public/private school the next or in middle school, etc...

8. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

We've been on the fence about homeschooling for several years now. We have NOT HS'd mostly bc i am a better mom with clear space from my children. ( I LOVE my girls but know my limits!) I am not a good organizer, I am not a great scheduler, and have a touch of adult ADD - in that I get completely overwhelmed in my own environment and then cannot move forward! Knowing my limits made my decision to send Willow and her siblings to school easier.

We also ARE not financially able to HS. I know many ofy ou will say how you can do it for virtually nothing - but honestly - if I am not given some sort of outline/curriculum I WILL flounder and will turn on the TV just to have them quiet.:eek: You all may be cringing at this point - thinking of me as this horrible mom. - But I know my limits and therefore - what looks wonderful from the outside - is not how it always looks on the inside.

My girls have thrived with structure, organization and socialization that I would not have done had they been with me. Ok I would be fine on the socialization part. But not on the schooling, and staying on top of things part. I know how overwhelmed I get - so I did not want to expose my kids to that. In school they get gym, music, art, and other extras that I would not be able to afford on my own - I looked into it.

All that being said - I was so hesitant with public school, but also not financially able to send to private school. I now LOVE her public school. She has some wonderful friends and her teachers have completely embraced her as a child and have handled her D with so much more than I could have ever expected. At home we are almost never on the same schedule, we don't eat at the same time, my DH's job makes his hours really unpredictable and often I feel like I do so much by myself -(even though I know that DH does lots when he can). I think that D management is much better when there are clear cut schedules - she gets that at school.

I don;t think there is a right or wrong decision. If you were planning to HS anyhow - then go for it - see how it goes move forward. Good luck. Some of my best friends HS and thier children are bright, loving, caring wonderful children - just as I think my children are too!

9. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I love that quote!! beautiful!
    now lets tweak it....for everyone here
    When we started life with diabetes, I felt as though I had tucked my child under my arm and jumped off a cliff. Imagine my surprise to discover we have wings...Life is worth living !

10. lodiej

lodiej Approved members

Thanks again for your wonderful responses, you truly have inspired me to follow my heart. Our family is in the right place to homeschool and I don't intend on doing it forever, but we have this wonderful opportunity available I would hate to pass it up! When I was reading the responses I began to tear up, I do think I know what the right choice is for us right now. We are not necessarily choosing this because of D, but it definately plays a part. I feel more comfortable sending her to school when she can be a little more independent with her treatment and start to feel her lows. I have read how some children know they are low or have ketones and know how to act on it. My duaghter just isn't at that point yet. We do have her involved in a lot of local diabetes activities so I know that is only a matter of time! I can't thank you all enough for the inspiration that you have given me and my family!

11. Grace

Grace Approved members

Ahhh... light bulb moment...

Diabetes isn't standing in her way, the ignorance of the adults in your school is what is standing in her way! Too often we blame D, when in reality its other people. :mad: Which I find interesting since one reason I really dislike traditional schooling, esp pub school, is its inability to see outside the box.

One of my all time favorite movie quotes is from the first Men in Black:

12. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

We were going to homeschool. My daughter was home with me last year. One day a week she went somewhere to a "school" for homeschoolers in Media, Pa., called Open Connections. A wonderful place where you can sign up by the day started by a man and his wife who hsed their 4 children. We sent her to school this year because it was just too much for me with the three children home.

Yesterday, was an example of my D daughter being very unsafe at school(low all day and the teacher forgot to check her until after lunch and didn't tell her to eat some extra snacks in the AM like the nurse told her to last week). I love her school so much, but if for the rest of the year she is unsafe over and over again I would consider hsing again. I may begin to keep a log book of events in the case I need to take her out because of safety as we have a signed contract for next year (private).

13. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

We had already begun homeschooling about a year before my son got type 1 (he went to public school through 3rd grade) so I truly don't know what I would have done in your situation. A lot of people ask if we homeschool because of the diabetes and I can say no, but I do feel a lot better that I am the one with him most of the day. I have to realize though that he is almost 15 and I will not be with him all the time forever. It is so hard.

14. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

My daughter will also be starting K in the fall. I have 2 kids in public school 12 and 13. I cant stand the public school system. It only works for the average kid. And well I have a honors student and a kid with a learning issue. More a paying attention. So we have decided to put the honors kid in private school and my other student in homeschool where her and I could start all over where the school failed to teach. But we were going to put the kindergardener in school (she is the one with d) but I now I am not. I have seen what public schools can do. Now private, we dont have enough money to put her in too! Plus I do think about the safety of my daughter because "legally" they dont have to help. And I am one who will think of d, you have to keep them safe. I sent her to preschool and pulled her because they were not compling. I will will not fight over a 504 plan and make my kid feel different. I do not want to call the school every other day because the school made a mistake. I know we have rights but I do what I feel is right. And so should you. If you want to homeschool because you are scared then do it. Everyone is going to tell you different. It is your child what ever your reason no matter what is.

15. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think every district is different and must have their individual strengths and weaknesses. Our district has been criticized for catering to the honors students and failing the average student.

My kids have fallen in between, and I can't complain except to make the top 10% in their class you pretty much must take all honors classes and get straight As. This by the way does not predict academic success in college should that be the route the student goes.

Hmmm... what is success? Now there's another thread we could start. :D

16. Haleysmom2214

I am sorry I guess I should have said our public schools where we are at.

17. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

With all due respect Kris, your logic here makes absolutely no sense. You are concerned about the safety of your child yet you're snubbing your nose at the one thing in a public school that will enable her to be safe? I'm not arguing with your right to home school, but if you think having a 504 will set your child apart , then choosing to home school will set your child apart as well. Neither is a bad thing. So if making your child 'blend in' is a goal, then I don't see how home school will accomplish that.

18. Haleysmom2214

I think I make perfect sense. Not to start a fight but, everytime I am on here I hear how the people are fighting with their school. Someone didnt follow how to treat a low or a high or how a teacher told a student they couldnt get up and go to the nurse or how they had to walk to the nurse by themselves. I dont want to act like I am backing down because my kids got a disablity and they have all the right to go to school and get have the same rights as others. But for what, I really dont feel like taking that chance that something might happen to my kid. She's been at preschool and they dont follow. I think if you are fighting with the teachers, the principal, and everyone else you are setting your child apart. How is that blending in? Dont get me wrong we should fight for the kids rights and good medical care but the chance that they slip up. D is not the only reason I am homeschooling, the main is that our district is horrible. I do not think we have kids in these schools. I do think homeschool is better for my child. She has classes and groups outside of homeschooling as well, so what does school offer that is so much better then me homeschooling?

19. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm not arguing over homeschooling. everyone has the right to do that. That isn't my point. At all.

My point is that there will always be some fight - fight to have them partake in a sport. Fight to have them go to a camp. Fight for them to get a certain job. There will always be people who do not understand that our children CAN do anything they want, and with minimal care, can be very safe. If WE aren't going to fight for our kids, then I'm not sure who is.

20. Haleysmom2214

I would certainly fight for my kids and that is why I am choicing to homeschool which accually started with the lack of care of other daughters education (on the schools part). I just dont think that fighting for them to be in sports or jobs are the same as fighting for them to be in a school that cant take care of her right. But like I said d isnt the only reason but it is a main one.