- advertisement -

School Trips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ShelbysMom, Jan 12, 2011.

1. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

DD is going on an academic competition on Saturday. The school is very helpful in making sure that someone is going that is trained on dealing with Type 1 diabetes in children. I realize that we are very fortunate to have a school that tries very hard to meet our needs.

Here is my question. For those of you with older children say in high school....those that basically manage themselves, are the sports and/or school trips still something that you have to manage? For instance if you have a high schooler playing football and going to an away game, do you do anything extra or do they basically take care of everything themselves? Does someone that is "trained" go with them?......

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son (a Junior in high school) deals with sports, school trips and competitions himself and has since entering high school. I like to communicate via text messages with him, but that usually doesn't happen. He can feel his lows, so I am comfortable with him being on his own for a few hours. I consider it good practice for when he goes to college.

3. joan

joan Approved members

My son (senior in hs) has always done everything himself. He has had d a very long time.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son manages himself. We aren't involved in a public school system so it is rare for us not to be there but he has gone overnight with football and other events. I have trained coaches on a basic level, mostly what signs to be aware of and what to do if they feel something is off (mostly asking him to test). The kids he is with all know and at least one of them is invested in knowing more, has asked, I've shown him supplies, etc.

But yeah, for the most part he handles things well. He was only on the pump 1 week when he had to go overnight with part of the football team, site pulled out in the middle of the night, he got up and handled it and no one knew.

5. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

My DS is a senior and pretty much takes care of everything himself. Last year, he went on a week-long band trip to Florida. A nurse went on the trip and she carried back-up supplies but he managed everything himself. The school provides a nurse on all long term trips....not just because my DS has D.

For football, our school provides an athletic trainer for the team at both home and away games. The trainer would be able to help Nick if necessary but hasn't needed too. At one of the football games this past fall, an assistant coach was having some difficulties and my DS assissted the trainer and the school doctor by checking the coaches BS with his spare meter. Even though my DS used a clean lancet, the coach jokes that they are now blood brothers.:)

For basketball, the trainer is a home games but not away. I realize the school should be providing someone who is trained but since my husband and I go to all the games, we have not made an issue out of it.

6. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Lauren is in 7th grade. She carries her own supplies and handles everything on her own on school trips. She has a cell phone and will text me if she has any questions and to check in occasionally.

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I rarely miss a game, if I'm not there his dad usually is. But, for the rare times that neither of us are there...I have given all the coaches a cake gel frosting. And the trainer (He goes to football games but not soccer) The trainer has the glucagon.

You will find that as they get older, they run higher during sports rather than lower. It's that night you need to worry about more than during the actual activity. I think it's a hormone thing.

So, to sum it up, Seth takes care of himself, but there are some provisions in the event that he can't. I hope this helps :)