- advertisement -

School Treat

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by hrermgr, Oct 22, 2010.

1. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

T is the "Best Buckaroo" next week in kindergarten. On one day she gets to bring the snack. So, should I go all gluten free or just GF for her? And of course anything she brings need to be store bought. I was thinking Go Gurt and....not sure what else. Or Fritos and string cheese. Other thoughts?

2. aklap

aklap Approved members

How's the awareness of T's teachers and classmates? If you bring all GF treats, it might be a great way to spread awareness and to show that GF treats are just as good as NGF treats. Plus, it makes everyone all the same. No one has different treats. Then again...some kids might turn up their nose at it just because it's GF. I have an adult friend like that! LOL You could also supply GF treats and not tell anyone that they're GF ('cept the teacher so they don't freak when T is eating the treat).

3. RosebudMama

RosebudMama Approved members

We always do Fruit By The Foot when Addy needs to bring in a class treat :) I can get a big box from Costco for less than $10 and everyone gets the same thing!

4. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

oh yeah one more thing... i just talked with a class parent about sending in GF treats for a party... she made a good point... there is always a chance a child might not like something... GF or not....so I am sending in GF pumpkin bread since it is halloween party.

5. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

there are plenty of GF treats that most kids eat

fritos
    chips
    fruit chews
    fruit by the foot (I get the all natural ones at Costco, we do these A LOT after soccer games)
    fruit
    GF cookies can be store bought (K's class loves the Pamelas ones)
    SF popsicles
    cheese popcorn
    cheeto type cheese balls are a fav
    glutino pretzels

good luck

Thankfully our class is only 12 kids and I send in LOTS of GF snacks all the time

6. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Soooo good! T decided she wanted string cheese and rice cakes. Pretty sure all the kids will eat cheese--hopefully they will eat the rice cakes. T loves them. T's birthday is in March so these ideas are great!

Al, T's school/teachers are knowledgable about food "allergies" and now, gluten free. Actually, I am very happy with their overall awareness and willingness to get it right. They do a very good job with gluten free--advance notice of special days, letting me know if T is low on certain gluten free snacks and asking whenever they are not sure. And keeping T's food "separate" from the other kids'.