- advertisement -

School Resistant to 504 Plan

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Shely, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Shely

Shely Approved members

Hello All,

My daughter, Sabrie, is 6yrs old and in 1st grade. We had some issue with our substitute nurse last year when she was in kindergarten and this year with her teacher that just started in the class this month. I think the new teacher wasn't given all the communication necessary for Sabrie's care. I spoke to the principal and asked about getting a 504 Plan because I know of 3 other children in the same district that have them for diabetes. She referred me to the school'd Special Education Case Worker who proceeded to tell me that they don't usually set up 504 Plans if everyone is cooperative.

My feeling is that this is a little extra protection for my daughter to receive the care she needs without question and that everyone in the school is aware to avoid any potential future issues. I also think the school would look at it as protection for them too. I have my first meeting tomorrow and I am a little nervous. I don't want to come off rude or even defensive but this is my child's life we are tlaking about.

Does anyone have any experience or advise on this subject???

Thanks for any input!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, "cooperation" is great, but a 504 is about setting out specific, agreed upon processes and policies that enable your child with diabetes to participate in all school activities and learning experiences with any and all accommodations needed to insure your child's learning and safety.

It's about planning and communicating clearly, which makes "cooperation" even more effective. ;)

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So, are they not cooperative with the 3 other kids, and that's why they have 504's?

You are entitled to a 504. It doesn't matter if they are cooperative or not. The 504 is an agreement between you and the school to carry through on specific directives for your child. The 504 is set in place so that if there is a resistance to cooperate, you have that document to refer to.

Go back to the 504 coordinator and tell her you want a meeting to set up one and that no is not an option. If you meet resistance, call the ADA.

4. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

Hi! We're in DE, too. My daughter's in 6th grade. We went through a year and a half without a 504 and got one in place at the end of last year. It was revised this fall. We haven't really had any D issues with the schools.

I had the same initial comments from school... why would you need one? My opinion was that you need one now while things are going fine, so you don't have to put one in place while circumstances are strained.

Here are my thoughts on the process:
    - It's very beaurocratic, formalized.
    - Your first meeting is a "504 qualification meeting" and ours felt sort of intimidating in that they assmebled a panel of staff and teachers, all of whom knew the process they would follow, and I sat on the "other side of the table".
    - I thought that in the first meeting we would only discuss whether she qualified (and she did with "variations in blood glucose due to type 1 diabetes" being the reason), then consider the elements of the plan. Instead, they proceeded to write the plan in the meeting and want me to sign it that day. It was OK. I signed.
    - Just know that your plan can be revised at any time at your request. It doesn't have to be "perfect" going in. Also know that having it in place will follow her from year to year. You won't have to fight for a 504 again.

Let us know how it goes. I hope they work with you on your daughter's behalf!

5. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

When Jeremy started high school, my wife and I set up a meeting with all of his teachers and his counselor. We wanted to make sure we were all on the same page when it came to Jeremy's health. We made very sure we did not adopt an attitude of "this is how you need to treat our son". We told them that we want the lines of communication open between us. We told them that while Jeremy would need certain "privileges" such as checking his BG as needed or going to the nurse to dose (pre-pump), we also told them that we want to make sure Jeremy does not use his diabetes as a reason to take longer then normal to get back to his class or to take breaks that are not needed.

I think it is important for teachers to know that D kids need extra accommodation to manage their diabetes but, on the other hand, the teachers should not be taken advantage of. While I am certainly not implying that it is the case in your situation or anyone else's situation, I know my son and when he takes advantage of his situation to the detriment or disturbance of others, I will not tolerate it.

We went into our meeting smiling and joking which put everyone in a relaxed demeanor right from the start.

We do not have a 504. We never mentioned it. We were hoping that our friendly discussion with his teachers and follow-up emails thanking them for their time would be all that was needed. Luckily for us, it was.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Exactly!

My thought is that have one in place in case something comes up, then you are not scrambling to get one put together, and then discussed when everyone is walking on eggshells.

Also, though everyone may be getting along now and communicating, things change. Staff changes. So, everything could be going along fine, then bump, there's a change of command at the school, and they may or may not be as accepting as the last person.

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

What meg said is exactly what I was going to say. You put it in place now when everyone is getting along because there may come a day when everyone is not. THAT is what the protection is for. The favorite nurse who does everything perfectly may leave, the favorite teacher who is willing to be trained and learn my change schools, the school staff may decide it's not in their job description. Everything may be fine now. The 504 protects you when it's not. And it's far easier to agree to accommodations that are already, willingly, in place (ie, carry meter & test wherever if that is something you like) than fighting to get those things added back after someone decides they are not allowed.

8. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I didn't have one for our middle school, but wanted one in place for our high school (especially with standardized testing), so began with the nurse and the guidance counselor as soon as school started.

It took some time, but we got it worked out. They wanted it to be incredibly brief -- basically because the school's policies already covered (in writing) what I wanted in the 504. They said that it needed to be brief so the teachers (who would get 10-20 of these for students in their classes) would be able to comprehend any special accomodation without suffering "reader resistance" or confusion.

Part of me wanted it longer, but I as pleased with what we worked out.

Good luck!

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son's elementary school is fabulous. The teachers are fabulous, the principal is fabulous, the nurse is super-duper fabulous. I hesitated to even ask for a 504 when he started kindergarten because everyone was so wonderful.

Fast-forward to this year. For reasons that aren't very interesting or important, his bus route was changed so that instead of being on the bus about 15 minutes on the ride home, it went to 40 minutes. That was unacceptable to both our endo and me, as there is no aide on his bus, he is 6 and does none of his own care, and the bus is so loud, he wouldn't even be able to hear the alarms.

I went round and round with the central office and the bus company about this. Until I said the magic words: "I guess we'll have to add transportation to our 504." Voila! Bus issue solved!

The time to get a 504 established is when everything is going well, make no mistake about it.

10. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Good fences make good neighbors.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes. ;)

And asking for a 504 in no way, imo, suggests that you are being difficult or looking to cause trouble. Our school is wonderful and yet, I'd never want Maddie to be without one. As Karla notes, things change ... the time to set up a 504 is when things are going smoothly, not when there's trouble.

12. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

I'd say get one right now. I reiterate what everyone else has basically said: they may going well, but when things don't go right you need it to make sure what needs to get done, gets done.
    We had bus issues too and had them add it to our 504 (just to call if it is goingn to be later that 20 min).

13. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Aside from the whole moral/religious thing, a lot of people get married in part because they recognize that a legal contract can have benefits to both parties. Of course, a lot of people these days just live together without that legal contract and many of those relationships turn out fine. But things can get sticky. That's why we have things like legal agreements. Like a 504 plan.
    A 504 makes everyone involved sit down and figure out how to put in writing the necessary guidelines. Sometimes it reveals areas of gross disagreement - and it is way better to deal with those beforehand! If everyone is in total agreement then why not have one?
    A 504 established early in a child's academic career can be of benefit years later. I think every child with diabetes should have one. And of course the school would rather not - the legal requirements are theirs to meet!

14. Shely

Shely Approved members

Thank you for everyone's reply and consideration. I really appreciate your thoughts and ideas. Wish me luck at the meeting today.:D

15. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

I don't know if you will see this, but I was wondering if they resisted or gave you a 504 plan, thanks! The reason I ask is I had a 504 meeting at my son's school and they resisted and it did not end up well for us.

16. sahmcolorado

sahmcolorado Approved members

This reminds me of doing business with a friend. It's all fine and nice so you don't bother with written contracts and then something goes wrong. It's SOOOO much easier to work through things when it's not a stressful situation.

You might say something like "It would be very helpful for all of us to have everything written down in one place so that we can minimize misunderstandings in the future." Or to be a little stronger "A 504 plan is a great way for you to protect your school because it will show that you are providing adequate care for our child if any question ever arises." But no matter what, you need to be straightforward and let them know that you need them to help you to keep your child safe and that the 504 plan is what will help you make sure they have all the information they need to do that. I think it's important for them to understand that you really need their help.