- advertisement -

School Requiring Parents of T1D kids To Attend Field Trips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, May 9, 2013.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

While it may work for you, the school, assuming it is a public school, cannot require a parent to attend field trips. A D kid's safety should not be contingent upon a parent's ability to go along - nor should a D kid's equal access to education (including field trips) be limited to only those whose parents have flexible schedules.

That's why the world has sub nurses ;)

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have it written in our 504 that we are not expected to attend field trips, unless it is an absolute emergency that would prohibit our daughter from going. I know too thought that our district would do some creative shuffling and take a nurse from one of the other schools first and then send a sub to that school before they would ask us to go.

We recently had an experience where I felt that my daughter didn't need care on a field trip (between trip location, cgm and cell phone we were ok with her self managing) and I expressed this to the nurse. She said that there were other kids who needed meds given while on the trip and only she can dispense. So in our case a nurse will always be on all trips for this grade level regardless if my daughter needs care or not.

I was happy to go in earlier years, but we are now at the age where I'd cramp her style:D

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Agreed. I teach. My husband teaches. There is no flexibility in our schedules, nor is there any option of taking a "personal day." We would love to go on field trips, but no amount of advanced notice will make it possible for us to abandon our own students for the day in many cases. I expect that my child will be able to go on field trips even if we cannot go because it is his right, and it is the school's responsibility to make it happen. That really is the end of the story for us!

4. sariana

sariana Approved members

My girl is only in second grade, so she still enjoys having me around. I do not mind going at all. If the school tells me that she can not go on a field trip if a parent goes, then I am going to do my best to get there. Right now with my work, I am lucky enough to do so.

I have a couple of great nurses, but with budgets as they are, a nurse can not attend the field trips.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No, that's just not true. Schools may not want to pay for a nurse, but they have no choice. I have no desire to place unnecessary burdens on my schools budget, and for years I did go, when I could, on field trips, but the legal fact remains, no matter how we as parents may want to be kind to our school budgets in the end they are legally required to make the necessary accommodations to ensure that kids with "disabilities" have equal access to educational opportunities. period.

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Do no feel stressed about the school's budget, they get money for our children (all of ours!)...you pay taxes, probably volunteer where you can, etc. I just think that we parents of CWD need to feel like it is a choice to be able to attend, not one out of necessity for our child's medical safety.
    I asked about this at my younger sons school (my CWD) and the school nurse smiled and said, "I get to go on all field trips, you can come too if you'd like, but you're not responsible to in terms of Isaac's medical needs." How nice is that? She made it very clear to me that they feel their priority is to make sure the students needs are met wherever those students may be. It also helps that we have several subs that routinely fill in therefor they're not completely "new" to the school or students when the main nurse is out.

7. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Don't know if you're in public or private school in VB, but if you're in public they HAVE to either allow the regular nurse to go and get a sub at the school for her, or they can hire a sub nurse to go and let the regular nurse stay at the school. If you want to go, by all means go (they also can't charge you like they can charge the regular chaperones, since you're there to take care of medical issues that may arise), but those are your rights. My dd is in 5th grade in the same district, and while up to this point I (or another D mom - we take turns since our girls are in the same class) have gone on all trips, she's getting to the point where she doesn't want me there, so we'll revisit this in middle school.

8. Beach bum

And it is perfectly fine for you to go. But, there will be a time when she doesn't want you to go...trust me it happens! Or, you may just not be able to go for whatever reason. You are a taxpayer. Your child has rights. The school must come up with an equitable solution if they cannot send their nurse...budget or no budget. It's not your problem that the states/schools have budget issues. You paid your taxes, they can figure out a way to make sure your child is safely cared for in the event that you choose not to go or the nurse cannot.

What do they do with the kids who need meds dispensed during a field trip? Do they make them stay home or do they have the nurse go?

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Yes. It is nice to go if you can, but if you can't go, there should be a trained staff member sent. We have no nurses in our schools at all so even on non field trip days, only a trained staff member is available.

When dd was younger they were highly trained by me on every single aspect of her care with everything written down in detail, step by step. Now that she's older she does most of her own care so the training is not as detailed/extensive but does cover the basics and how to deal with severe lows and/or glucagon administration. A nurse might be nice but even without one, diabetes can be handled both at the school and on field trips.

10. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We've only had two field trips since she was diagnosed. First one was a post 8th grade trip to Knotts Berry Farm. Didn't occur to me at all to have anyone with her she has a phone and we had no 504 but they had a nurse going on the trip and all the medial needs kids had to go on the bus she was on. Which kind of sucked because it was a fun trip and she didn't get to spend any of the trip time with her friends. Couldn't they at least let them bring a buddy?

She has one coming up next week and I'm not sure what they'll do. It's only for one class period. Her Spanish class is going to a nearby elementary school to do a lesson with Kindergartners in Spanish. I think we just have something that says someone has to be glucaon trained. Honest for such a short thing it seems silly to even bother. As long as someone can call 911.

She joined the Speech and Debate team and the advisor went and had the glucagon training. Which was nice she did it all on her own. But she often forgets to check out the glucagon from the nurses office. Since she's 17 now as long as people know she's diabetic and will call for help if she's off that's really fine with me.

11. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

WOW. We have one nurse that is at the school maybe 2 days a week. They have someone designated to go with Zach if we can't go. It is written in his IEP (as part of HCP)

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

At 17, your daughter should be able to manage on her own. Once my son was in high school, he did all his management. I didn't want the school to do anything other than be aware. It was good practice for college.

13. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

I wanted to add in a quick update. I did go with Sophie o her field trip,but the next day the nurse was happy to change her 504 to note that if we can't attend a field trip the school will send a trained person with the class.
    This was a very minor bump and I think I need to say that I Love this School and the Nurse. She is great about communicating with me and really does a great job managing Sophie at school and keeping her best interest at heart

14. Mish

Mish Approved members

Glad it worked out so well and so easily. :)

Make sure you have a time frame in the 504, something you're comfortable with . 2 weeks, 1 week. Just so you have time to decide. :)

15. Beach bum

Glad it worked out. Sometimes we go into these things thinking the worst possible outcome is going to occur and we are pleasantly surprised at how easily the school will work with us.

16. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Just to follow up on an earlier post. They had their field trip to the other school and they did send a health tech. She said there were 3 diabetics that went and I'm sure there may have been kids with other health issues.

For her alone for an hour and a half trip it seems silly but I guess there were a bunch of them so they sent a health tech.