- advertisement -

School question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by brima, Dec 14, 2011.

1. brima

brima Approved members

I know I?m probably way ahead of time, but I am weird like that.:D I like to worry about everything.

Here is the situation: My DD is in Kindergarten. There is no full time nurse at her school (the nurse only comes once a week). Also, she is the only child with diabetes and she is the first one in a long long time. In fact, the current staff doesn?t remember/know when was the last time they had a kid with diabetes in the school. Right now the teacher assistant is the one that handles all her diabetes care (check BG, bolus for insulin, treat lows, carry supplies to specials, etc). The times that the teacher assistant is pulled out of the class room, her teacher takes charge of ?diabetes duties?, which I know can be stressful considering she has over 20 kids in a classroom that need to be ready to go to lunch, eat snack, go to playground, etc. But since she doesn?t have the responsibility every day then it?s not a big deal. Well, yesterday I was made aware that starting in First grade there is no ?designated? teacher assistant. Apparently the assistants rotate between all the classrooms. So, my question/worry is, what then? Would it be fair/possible for the teacher to have to deal with all the care involve with DD?s diabetes? Should I request the school to assign an assistant to her classroom? Or would it be ok just to train ALL the assistants and then make sure that one is in her classroom to check her BG for lunch, snack and before schools out? I know DD is not ready to have the full responsibility of her BG checks.

What are my options?:confused:

2. spamid

spamid Approved members

First, get a 504 plan. Is this a public school? It doesn't matter if they have a nurse or not, they HAVE to specify who will care for your daughter's medical needs if she is not old enough to handle it herself, and it may not be the teacher. There are lots of 504 plans on this site for you to look at and get that ball rolling.

3. brima

brima Approved members

Yes, I forgot to add that. We do have a 504 in place right now. But I guess it was never an issue for me cause I knew the classroom had a teacher assistant. Basically our 504 states all the things that need to be done but it doesn't specify who is responsible. The only specific person that it's mention is the one to administer the glucagon. I'm thinking for next year. We are suppose to review our 504 before the school year ends and I want to have a "plan" in place before I ask for anything.

4. Adrienne

Adrienne Approved members

I would definately see if you can make a change to include exactly WHO is taking care of your daughter. We don't have a 504, but when I do one, this will be included.

5. brima

brima Approved members

I agree with you, but that is exactly my question, WHO? Who should be that person? They could say, yes the teacher will do it, but I know it will be too much for a teacher, when she has no one else to help her. I mean, what if DD is feeling low? Right now, she goes to the assistant and the assistant checks her, treats and move on. If the teacher is the only one there, then she will have to stop what she is doing with the rest of the class to do it. Does it make sense?

6. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

I think you should ask for someone OTHER than the teacher to be your daughter's primary care-giver. There is just no way that a teacher could do all D-care for a 1st grader AND teach the class effectively. No way.

7. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I agree. If I were you, I'd request for an aid to be placed with your daughter that can be trained for her needs.

8. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

I am not sure about the state law in NC, it may be different and districts may have more stringent state requirements they are following. But as I understand it a 504 does not necessarily mean the school has to place an aide in the classroom if they can meet your needs in another way. Ask for one and see if they will accomidate you, If not training another staff person might be easier than training a teacher each year. If an aide or special ed teacher is avalible this might be a better option as they may have more time to deal with emergencies than a classroom teacher with 26 kids.
    That said try to include the teacher he/she may be the person that is watching out for your kiddo when the other person is out for the day. Having a couple of advocates in the school is a great thing and will make your life easier.

9. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

From what I understand, they have aides who float through the classrooms, just not one that is for first grade and first grade only. Maybe by requesting that one be permenate, it would help.

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

I can only speak from our experience in elementary school. My son was dx'd in 2nd grade and while there was a full time nurse in the school, he still had to go to her for BG checks, insulin, etc. If he was feeling "funny" (that was his term for being low) she would come to him. In your case, if there are floating assistants, I am sure that one could be designated to handle your daughter's care and she could come to the classroom at certain times to check BG, etc. or be called if needed at other times. I personally don't feel there is a need for an assistant to be assigned specifically just for her classroom, but that's JMO.

And I don't think you're weird to be thinking about the next school year. It's good to get the ball rolling now! :cwds:

11. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

I'd want to get that clarified. If everyone's in charge, no one's in charge.