- advertisement -

School nurse question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MEVsmom, Aug 16, 2013.

1. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

How many people have a full time school nurse. We live in a very well funded school district with incredible resources but we only have a nurse one half day a week.

Obviously this presents challenges if my daughter were to need an injection at school. She is very newly diagnosed and hopefully won't need one, but this could present a big problem.

I'm just curious because we seem to be out of the norm. :cool:

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We have a full-time nurse in each elementary and middle school, and 3 nurses in the high school, although I'm not sure all 3 are full-time. I think at least 2 of them are. It's not uncommon not to have a full-time nurse, and plenty of people here can tell you how they handle that.

3. kyle and ryans mom

kyle and ryans mom Approved members

Here in Delaware, all schools have at least one full time nurse.

4. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

at our current school there is always a nurse present. At the school Sophie attended when she was diagnosed there was never a school nurse,but the secratary was a type 1 so she took care of Soph

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our district has 6 elementaries, 2 middles and 2 high schools. About 8400 students total. Every building has a full-time nurse.

6. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

Our school sounds more like yours, my son is still only in pre-school but when he hits elementary next year we only have one full time nurse for 10 schools. At our school they train the staff to take care of the child, and they have to go to the office every time they need to check their blood.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

At least 1 full time nurse per building as well as a floater who moves as needed between the schools. Each building has about 500 students.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Our district has four K-5 schools, one junior high (grade 6-8). The junior high has its own nurse and there are two nurses to cover the four elementary schools. Each nurse is responsible for two schools.

Each school, including the junior high has a full time health aide, so there is always at least one person in the nurse's office.

9. Traci

Traci Approved members

Our school district has a full time nurse at all campuses. Our high schools typically have a nurse and an assistant nurse.

10. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

No nurse. We live in a small district, three elementary schools, one middle, one high and an early childhood center. There are nurses at all on the district payroll, not even part time. All care is done by the secretaries or in some cases by para pros. All training is done by the parents or sometimes you can call in ADA/JDRF or your endos office.

Schools that receive public funding MUST provide care, whether that's by a nurse or someone else varies. They really can't tell you no. They may try but fight them. Nicely but firmly at first but if they keep refusing, don't budge. You may have to be mama bear.

My 2 cents. It would be wonderful if all schools had a full time nurse on site at all times. One who is educated on type 1 diabetes (and all other health conditions of the students in the school) and has common sense, compassion etc. Unfortunately too often most schools have no nurse or one that goes between schools and isn't always on site. Or even if she is full time on site, she may be sick, on vacation, on a field trip with another child etc. And then what? I believe others must be trained also. And in my experience dealing with a school district with no nurses, that can be done and your child be safe and cared for. For us it means a lot of training of secretaries, aides, teachers etc. It means writing up well written handouts that clearly explain what the disease is and how to deal with every possible scenario and providing all the supplies to do so and keeping them stocked. At one point it meant typing up button push by button push how to do the main functions on the insulin pump. It means being available to take phone calls when something happens that isn't exactly as written on the instructions. It means giving and taking and realizing that sometimes you have to make concessions on occasion. It means being sugary sweet to everyone who will be helping until it's time NOT to be sweet.

For us it's worked very well. Oh we had challenges, especially in elementary school with the administration, but my daughter was and is safe and we've met some wonderful people along the way. I will forever be grateful to the secretaries at dd's former elementary school. Now she's in middle school and she doesn't need as much help but the people there have also been exceptional.

11. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we have a full time nurse, but she serves all grades (k-12)

12. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Well a para can handle her monitoring issues, but no one but a nurse can give an injection at this point. I guess if I pressed the issue they would have to hire one full time for her???? if I am reading everything correctly, a law was passed in Louisiana that a non-nurse staff member could administer injections, but the Board of Secondary and Elementary Education has not finalized the directives so it is not in place.

My other daughter is disabled and has a one on one para at the same school who is serving as my younger daughter's diabetes contact. Even the special ed nurse only comes once a week and checks on everyone.

13. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Each school in our district has one, full-time school nurse.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are in a well funded district also.

Elementary schools (2 in town):

1 at the smaller school (pre-k, k, 1st)
    1 plus an aid at the larger (1st-4th)

Middle school (5-8):

1 full time
    1 part time (meaning 6 hours vs. 8 hours)

High:
    1 full time
    1 aid

Federally funded schools must provide care. It does not have to be a licensed provider. There are districts close by to us that have no nurses, the staff handles it all because they have been trained.

15. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

The county has 78 elementary schools, 19 middle schools, 12 high schools, 2 tech centers, 2 charters, and 5 special/alternative education. 75,000 students. All schools have at least 1 health assistant, high schools usually have 2. In addition, all middle schools, high schools, and other centers/charters/alternatives have full-time RNs. RNs for elementary tend to travel between 2 or 3 schools, unless it's a large elementary school.

16. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son was dx'd at age 3 and never attended a school with a nurse. I taught office staff what to do for testing (he was on NPH and Regular) and treating his many lows. When he went on Lantus and Humalog in 2nd grade, I went in every day to give him his lunch shot until he started doing his own shots (with supervision) in 3rd grade.

High school -- he was completely on his own.

17. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Need to ask question - get ADA help if needed

Sounds like you need to meet with your principal and ask some more questions about how the school will handle your child's medical needs.

If the nurse is the only one who can give injections, than they must provide that care. If you hit road blocks, I have heard parents here contacting ADA for someone to help and meet with administrators to help on your behalf.

My elementary school of 1000 has one full-time nurse. The other elementary - with only 400 students has a part-time nurse. Other people help out there.

18. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

At DD's small private school we have no nurse, ever. I suppose that could be a problem, but in a year and a half it's been fine. There is no 504 plan because they get no federal funding but they've been great about everything and doing exactly what we want.