- advertisement -

School nurse OD'ed my kid on insulin AGAIN!(very long vent)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Becky Stevens mom, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I dont know whether to cry or scream!:(:mad: This nurse is not new to the school. She has been there for 2 years now. I have a 504 and a health plan for Steven that I make revisions to on a yearly basis. WTH does she think she knows more about my son's diabetes then I do?!?!?!:mad: First off, it states in his health plan: Do not do corrections at snack as you will be stacking insulin. If Steven's BG is high call home to get further instructions. I would rather decide for myself how much of a correction to do for snack time highs. I have told her repeatedly that Steven gets 25 carbs for snack, each and every day. This hasnt changed, there is no need IMO to send her a note each day with the carb count of his snack. My husband or myself are there 98% of the time for lunch check and bolus so she doesnt even have to deal with that.

What happened today: Steven was high at snack 274, nurse gave 3 units. Already screwed up. Snack time bolus should be 2 units. For this # I would have given 2 1/2 probably, although he had gym class about an hour and a half after snack. THEN!!!! About 1/2 hour after snack Steven was rewarded for a good grade on his reading test with a popcorn snack. This was approx 1/2 cup of popcorn. He went down to the nurse. He did not check blood nor did she tell him to. She then gave him another 1 unit of insulin!!!! Thus stacking even more insulin. She is well aware of his schedule and has a copy of it at her desk to see what days he has gym class. Activity definitely will reduce the amount of insulin Steven needs and she knows this. Its something we've discussed numerous times. Ive also told her that at any time he is to be given extra food, call me, so that I can decide if he needs more insulin or not. Obviously he didnt need that unit 1/2 hour after getting 3 units for snack

So I went to pick up Steven at school and didnt know any of this at the time. On the way home Steven said he felt low. He ate 2 glucotabs that he keeps in his back pack at all times. By the time we got home he was pale and shaky but said he was able to get upstairs. I gave him another glucotab then tested. He was 48 :( He was feeling very shaky and was seeing crosseyed by that time. My husband is defending the nurse and saying that it was a mistake. She does this kind of thing alot and when I try to speak to her about it she gets very defensive and tries to tell me that he needs more insulin if he's that high. Well duh:rolleyes: I think I know a little bit more then she does about MY son's type 1 diabetes.

If youve read this far, I thank you. The support means alot. I know I have to suck it up and go in and speak to her in a calm manner about this but its hard when people feel that first and foremost they need to defend their actions and act like they are being attacked. Im thinking that I will start sending in notes daily with carb counts and exactly how much insulin Steven should be getting.

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

You need to file a complaint.

I am sorry this happened. she is not allowed to determine doses and is required to follow that sheet.

It would be wise for her to contact you for every dose she gives for a long while, and her doses need to be checked by a second adult who can read. it is a pain in the butt for you, but it is his health at stake here.

We also have incompetent people at my sons school. we use a pump and cgm to keep tabs on the school & I check what they have done every day because I flat out dont trust them. Once the aide who is in charge of insulin dosing gave him a dose of insulin that could have killed him if it hadn't been caught, and I am certain she would have lied her butt off if she could have.... but they pump doesn't lie and neither did the CGM when his BG crashed and he was very low.

Do what you need to to keep your child safe, even if it means that you have to complain and be their "momma" too . Hopefully she will either follow the guidelines that are there, or she will be replaced.

3. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I am sorry.:( Poor Steven. Definitely file a report.:cwds:

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

OH my goodness Becky, poor Steven, that's horrible, can only imagine how he felt and how you are feeling. You are your child's advocate, I would definitely say something to the nurse and possibly to others, esp if this has happened before. Ugh. I feel for you, I really do.

All the best,
    Kathy

5. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Oh Becky, that's such a scary thing. I get so mad I couldn't talk calmly in these cases. I have to wait a few days or let my husband do the talking ("Dude, this is my child's life you're dealing with, what's happening?")

I will try to talk with the nurse again, with someone else present preferably.

Took me several months to convince the teacher that .5u makes a HUGE difference.

But...sigh...glad he felt it and had the wherewithal to get those tabs.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

William wasn't on shots long before he started pumping - almost 7 years ago now - but I'm trying to think if there is an easy way to determine "IOB" for those on MDI. I don't remember any trick I had for it. I guess she has to know not to give a correction unless she speaks to you first or it has been 4 hours since his last insulin shot. How hard is that? Is it in the health plan (per doctor's orders) that she has to call you to check? I'd have it added there if it isn't.

7. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Holy cow! Good luck speaking to her...I can't imagine why she would give a unit for 1/2 cup of popcorn! I know everyone is different but we go by a 4 g per cup guideline and have never had a problem...actually Josh had 2 cups popcorn( 8 g carbs) snack time yesterday and since he was 93 w IOB from lunch PDM suggested no insulin. That would have been WAY too much insulin for my son too!

I would rattle some chains.

8. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Well, you can win the battle and lose the war. I would only file a complaint if you have already exhausted your options with this nurse. Otherwise, I would go in and explain what happened. If she resists, then complain.

I would also coach Steven to say,"I would like to call my Mom first," anytime insulin is given for anything but lunch.

9. thebestnest5

Great idea!:cwds:

10. Becky Stevens mom

Chuck, this is a great idea! Im going to talk to him about this now that he's feeling better. It will give him further ownership of his diabetes which I know he's ready for. He does everything at school with the exception of giving the shot. I agree about not filing the complaint at this time. Im very angry right now with her but he has another 2 1/2 years at this school with her so I would like to try and work things out and see if I can get her to understand what needs to be done.

11. Becky Stevens mom

Thank you so much everyone :cwds: I was in tears before but am feeling much more positive now. Steven is feeling alot better and is humming and making paper airplanes and flying them across the living room:) Its an awful thing to see your child very low and knowing they must feel awful and that other horrible feeling, knowing you cant speed up the action of the carbs:( I knew you'd all get that.

12. thebestnest5

Becky, maybe just keep a very detailed report on the incident (even just for your own records). I hope this is the last problem you have, but if it isn't then you have noted that there are repeated problems with her care.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It is hard when someone else makes a mistake. I would calm down a bit and then approach her about calling you. Perhaps she didn't have time and thought she understood what to do.

14. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I think she should just call you for anything outside of his normal lunch and/or snack for which I send in the carbs and the amount of insulin he would typically get. The nurse obviously isn't getting it. My nurse would never just determine the carbs on her own for an extra snack without calling me first. Maybe you need the endo to write a letter stating that she needs to call you.

15. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Sorry Becky.:(

I would ask her what more needs to be actually written down to make things even clearer. For example, the "call me about additional snacks" part. Is that written down? How about rules for gym class day? I would start with that, but I think I too might be going over her head at this point. You have told her repeatedly not to correct at snack time and it is clearly written down and is the same thing every day! It is not acceptable that she can't get that right.

But just to make sure she is totally clear, how high is too high at snack time? Is she supposed to call if BG is above a certain number? If so, what is that number and is it written down?

16. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Just a warning, we tried this with my kid at our school with a different condition, school totally agreed and then totally didn't comply. If a teacher, nurse, or administrator is not going to follow the directions of a parent she/he is unlikely to honor the request of a child to call home. You can try, but I wouldn't lay odds on it working.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm furious on your behalf. I think school nurses have very tough jobs, and I have great sympathy for the ones who try hard at this only to be nitpicked to death by parents. But this woman is a hazard to Steven's health. I am very much a proponent of maintaining a good relationship with the school, and catching more flies with honey than with vinegar. But I think in this situation I would be calling a meeting with the nurse, the principal, the superintendent, and the head of human resources and telling them that the next time the nurse violated my son's 504 plan, I would be filing a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights and possibly a lawsuit in federal court.

This was not a mistake. This was not the first time she wilfully disregarded your instructions. I don't know if she's stupid or mean or just obstinate, but it has to stop.

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I wanted to add that if you don't have one, I would look into getting one of those insulin pens that records the dose given. I would not put it past this woman to start lying to you about that.

19. wilf

wilf Approved members

Sorry to hear of this Becky.

The above is a great suggestion. :)

20. joan

joan Approved members

I have to agree with this. I am sure you were nice in the past and it hasn't worked. Also, I hate when they give food as a reward. Even if its only popcorn food should not be a reward.