- advertisement -

School Nurse Laid Off

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnMom, Jun 14, 2008.

1. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

The School District next to ours laid off the school nurse so the teachers/office staff will be handling all medical requirements, to include insulin. I can't get a straight answer from our district to the fate of our nurse. My son is on MDI's (we have a pump but training is not until next month). I was wondering who handles your childs insulin needs? He is 8 yo and can handle testing and lows on his own.

2. jendean

jendean Approved members

The school cant answer anything about a past employees fate. :eek: She could sue them.

Mostly, the secretaries do the work with Nolan. We have a new school nurse starting this year. I am ok with that.
    He does a lot of it on his own.
    :)

3. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

We have no school nurse, so Emily was kinda on her own at age 8 with MDI. She used a pen and her teacher helped her if she needed to inject into her arm. She called me on her cell prior to each injection and told me her BG and what she was going to eat, and I calculated what she needed to give. It worked OK but once she was on the pump it was MUCH better.

I think having your son on the pump when school is in session (you start next month, right?) will make a huge difference. I doubt he'll really need a nurse unless it's difficult for him to work (highly unlikely :))

4. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

The nurse was laid off due to budget cuts. The districts in our area are small because we are part of the farming belt. We are probably going to put him in a private school because the 3rd graders are going to have a 1 to 35 ratio and we want him in a smaller class. I was wondering what people do without a nurse because the school does not have one, but it is also about 4 blocks away from the house.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son attended the same private school since he was 4 (10 years ago). I trained the school secretary and principal on how to do the diabetes care and the teacher knew the signs of a low. If parents can learn diabetes care, so can other adults. Usually the secretary is the one who gives out the medicine to the students. She can learn what to do for diabetics as well.

6. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

We have a district nurse that travels around to the different schools. We haven't needed her as of yet, because DH went up every day during lunch, checked her BG, and gave her injection. Deirdre recognizes her lows, and can check her own BG and go get a snack if needed. She knows what to eat and when to eat it. Her brother was right next door this past year, and Rick has been extremely interested in learning how to help take care of his sister.

Next year, we transition to a different school. We have already met a teacher there who has a T1 son: she will be available if we need her. Her son was also on the pump, and since Deirdre gets hers started in September, she will be a godsend.