- advertisement -

School issues?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tristalyn, Aug 14, 2010.

1. tristalyn

tristalyn Approved members

Hi, I have an 11yr old type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump who just started his first year of middle school.. I've ran into a few situations that I'm not really sure how I feel about or even how to handle them and so I'm here hoping maybe someone can give some advice or has maybe had to deal with a similar problem in the past and can guide me.

There is no full time school nurse at this school. During his elementary years we had a wonderful full time nurse with him but the previous school nurse at the middle school left and they are not planning on replacing him.

Also, I've called twice to setup his 504 meeting and I can't get anyone to call me back and he started school last week.

They've already sent him home due to high blood sugars and keytones because noone there knew how to take care of him.

I'm not sure what i'm supposed to do and if there's any legal responsibility on the schools part to make sure there is care available for him.

If anyone has any ideas or advice I'm all ears.

Thank you

2. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I'm sorry you are having issues at school.

I have a few questions. Does your school have a diabetes protocol? At our school district they have a policy with how they deal with blood sugar issues...like they send home over 300 or 350 or something. Of course if Ryan's 504 was different they'd abide by that.

How much does your son care for himself? Can he dose himself, test himself, etc? Since he's on the pump it would seem like he wouldn't need a whole lot of technical oversight since the pump should be programmed for him. Also, are you available by phone to help them figure out what to do? If they are sending him home, I would assume you might be available.

As far as the 504 I would show up on Monday and not leave until I had an appointment set. They can't duck you. There are a lot of people on here who have successfully fought for their 504s...so doing a search of 504 plans on the forums should give you a TON of information.

Good luck.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello, is this a public school that your son goes to? If it is they absolutely have a responsibility to him. So there is no nurse there ever? So no one to over see his checking his blood or helping him with insulin dosages? Call the school and tell them that you need to speak with the person who is in charge of setting up 504 meetings, this is often the school social worker or psychologist. Here is some good info to read from The American diabetes association about our childrens rights at school and how we can make sure their needs are being met

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with...atureSlider3&utm_content=SAS&utm_campaign=CON

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

5. tristalyn

Thanks for the links! I will deff check them out! To answer some of the questions.. He is in public school and he can pretty much do everything himself except for injections and changing his pump site.
    They did say they will have a nurse there right before lunch but all she does is observe him checking his blood sugar which we have the dexcom system ordered so that won't even be needed in a few weeks.
    So far there is noone there that knows how to change his site which is the reason I had to go pick him up last week. I am available to an extent.. and I'm also a substitute teacher this year so I'm going to try and snag all the jobs I can at his school to make things easier.

As far as a diabetes protocol, I've not heard of one.. Usually everything was outlined in our 504 plan which I guess I'm going to have to go there and insist they set us one up.

Thanks for the replies!

6. tristalyn

So wait according to that link
    So does that mean a school nurse is required to dose insulin?? What are my options if one isn't available I wonder?

7. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I'm not sure what you meant but you will still need to do fingersticks even with the Dex. You may do less, but you still have to do them.

Keep pushing the school on the 504. Go to the district office and get an appt with the 504 expert is for the district if you need to. Some schools will drag their feet on the 504 process.

8. tristalyn

Yeah, it'll be easier with the dexcom though. I'll do some calling around on Monday. Thanks for the advice!

9. Brookiesworld

Brookiesworld Approved members

i'm finding the same issues, this is will be our first year at school with D. I went up and met with the nurse and found out that Brooke is the only one in school that is insulin dependent. And we have one nurse for the whole school this includes elementary, middle school, and high school. The nurse was not very confident and wants me to be there the first day of school to help her get thru it, oh geez this is going to be interesting.

didnt mean to hijack your post but I am going thur similar situation. and like reading everyones advice and input.

thanks,
    angie

10. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

So he had a 504 in elementary school? My understanding is that it should have followed him to the middle school - you shouldn't have to start over again from scratch, and it should be just as binding now as it was then. Of course, you're entitled to have a meeting to update it as necessary. I agree with the other poster - show up and don't leave until you at least have an appointment scheduled.

Sorry you're having to deal with this!

11. tristalyn

We had the most amazing nurse during elementary school. She treated my son as if he were her own and went above and beyond what was expected. It's rough to go from that to nothing, that's for sure. She'll still be there for lunch on occasion along with another nurse in the area but there not being one full time is scary. My son used to be the only diabetic in his school until this year.. I think there are others now. I wish I knew who cuz I'd love to talk with the parents and hear what their thoughts are.

Whatever happens, we'll get through it.

12. tristalyn

You'd think that it would follow him, but they made us have a meeting every year during elementary school. Nothing really has changed so I'm not sure why they can't use it. Not sure if it's a law or what. I'll ask about that too when I call on Monday!

13. selketine

selketine Approved members

Make sure you request a meeting to "update" his 504 in WRITING to the principal. You do not need to worry about who the 504 coordinator is, etc. - they will get the letter to the right person - and the principal has ultimate responsibility.

I agree that the 504 he had in elementary school has now followed him to middle school and is in effect exactly the same until it is updated.

It does seem odd that they didn't have you take a form to the pedi endo to get his "doctor's orders" - from that they make up a medical management plan so that he can be treated at school for highs, lows, etc. The 504 is a separate document but the medical plan can be attached to it.

There are several great moms here from TN who know the law (Tammy for sure! - MomtoJess) so they are your best resource for specific TN regulations and Tammy had quite a 504 battle with her district so she knows that law very well.:)