- advertisement -

School Halloween party -

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2marchboys, Oct 31, 2012.

1. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

Happy Halloween!! So who else has been dreading this day all year?
    I have been dreading today since Dx in Jan this year. My son is 6 and this afternoon his class is having a party filled with a decorated cake, rice krispie bars, candy coated popcorn and a gatorade orange drink on top of the already carb filled pasta lunch. I am not sure how I want the school to handle the snack during the party - if it is up to the principal they will tell him he can't eat any of it or the candy that they get as prizes from the games they play.....which I was not happy to hear that they would do this to him.:mad:
    What does everyone else do - and with the candy they will get from trick or treating tonight?

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Tell them he can have it and you'll give him insulin if it's needed!!
    Work his collected candy into his meals and give extra insulin!

3. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

My first year, I just took the time off at lunch, went in myself to count carbs and my son enjoyed what eveyone else did during their party time. Daniel loves trick or treating for the sake of trick or treating, lol..he's not much of a candy eater. Today for example he gets out early from middle school(they do nothing there for holidays) and puts in a few hours of volunteer time with his old 5th grade teacher at the elementary down the street. Well my brownies there were always a hit, so I bakes 3 dozen for him to share in her class. He asked, can I eat mine too? First I said, "well save it for dinner" and his face drooped..well how about half I asked? "Its okay mom, never mind"..."Daniel eat your brownie and enjoy with the class(they don't get the treats until they are ready to be let out), I will just bolus when I pick you up." No worries, enjoy with the class... In other words don't dread, Just accomodate and work with it. Let your boy trick or treat, bolus for what he wants and just save the rest to give on other occasions, once a week or however you want to handle it. I can tell you now, not to stress about it....Enjoy the day as always would!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The hard part is just the sheer volume of junk food:eek: Trying to find a balance of having a little so you won't have a stomach ache later is always hard, it applies to every kid, not just the ones with diabetes.

Before we had the wellness policy and it was a food free for all, I would just go in and be one of the chaperones. I presented it from the point of view, wouldn't it be easier if I was there, so that the nurse doesn't have to run down all the time to see what she's eating? The school always was really good about working with me. As for allowing the food, we just let her have whatever she wanted (in moderation), but reminded her that she would also be trick or treating and to go easy on the treats. For us, it always worked well.

As for the principal, tell them thanks for looking out for your child, but if he can't eat it, then no one can eat what's being served at the party. Thank you so much for looking out for the wellness of all children in the class;)

5. MyPumpkin

MyPumpkin Approved members

Today will be our first Halloween party also. My sons class is having everyone bring stuff in to share. So we dont know what exactly will be there. I am going to go to the school during lunch time and check out what they have and figure out how many carbs for him. (Well guestimate as best I can)
    Today will probably be a crazy number day but thats ok. We will deal with it. I just want him to have lots of fun and try not to think about D too much. :cwds: (I'll do all the stressing for him)
    I hope you guys have a fun Halloween.

6. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I go in and handle the parties. Today I brought in his drink so I didn't have to guess on the carbs in the juice.

I have to say that I am impressed with the room moms this year. The kids each got a normal sized muffin and a glazed donut and had orange juice and apple juice. It wasn't an overwhelming amount of junk food and sugary juice boxes like they have been in the past. They even told the kids they were handing out fun Halloween pencils instead of candy since they would be getting plenty of candy tonight. It was a good party. :)

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

our school stopped celebrating Halloween. At first it they renamed it a "Harvest Party". But that even stopped. The middle school kids are allowed to dress up if they pay $1. But elementary age aren't even allowed to dress up. We don't' do Christmas, Valentines, or Easter parties anymore either.

As for trick or treating Ashleigh still eats candy. When she was on shots, we would give her a piece of candy with her meals and then just add it's carbs in with that of the meal. Now that she's on the pump, she just figures out how many carbs is in the candy. boluses for it and eats it.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

You took the words right out of my mouth!! ;)

9. Deal

Deal Approved members

So are the kids good at Marching instead? :D

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I have to say since the schools implemented a wellness policy, the amount of crap being served has really decreased. Today they had a party with cider and plain donuts. Somehow though the specials teacher snuck in cupcakes.

11. steph

steph Approved members

i dont worry about parties anymore. the first christmas party i did worry about as it was only a week after her dx. i actually kept her home bc they were decorating their own cookies and cupcakes and i didn't know too much about carb counting and was just scared. but i felt like such a crappy mom after that (even though DD didn'tcare since she was only 18mos) that she has fully participated in everything everyone else does since then. if numbers end up being wacky, we just correct. today she was only 230 after her party, which i feel pretty good about. a little correction and she's ready for the carnival tonight.

12. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

The first couple of years I would go in & guesstimate.

Then we moved to having her call me and together we would guesstimate.

Now that she's pumping and itching for more independence, I'm happy if she makes a reasonable effort to guess the carbs and remembers to bolus. :rolleyes:

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I used to dread these parties as well...but I just went in as a chaperone so that I could count carbs and bolus as needed. For these special occasions, I just let him pick what we wants and bolus for it. We usually have highs later...but the fun he has is worth it.

The past couple of years, his school no longer allows treats in for celebrating birthdays and holidays. Must say, even if I didn't have a CWD, it would be a relief. For a while there, it was like they were having cupcakes every other day...and then they'd have whatever little treat I might send it with their lunches. It was getting ridiculous. Now, for holidays, the kids bring in "parties in a bag" so the parents can decide what the child will have. Soo much easier now...I just count the carbs and write them down for the nurse to bolus. But, I still go in to chaperone at times just cause it's fun!:)

14. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Yep = Halloween class party fun

I spoke to my son's k-5 teacher about a week ago to find out about food at the party to determine how to handle it. She stated that they would just get a treat bag to take home and that they were decorating one sugar cookie and having juice boxes.

I figured one sugar cookie was fine - so I let the nurse know and sent in his own 2 carb juice box. Then he was to bring home the treat bag and not eat anything else. WELL -

The nurse called me later Halloween afternoon. My son forgot to come and get his blood sugar checked before the party (so who knew what he was before the party) - and ate a full iced cookie + a cupcake with icing, his juice box and popcorn. Of course his blood sugar was 400! by the time he got to the nurse.

She bolused for it and he was fine later. I guess he enjoyed that cupcake AND cookie. Good grief. PArt of me wanted to go crazy - but my husband (also type 1) said WELL - he really got to enjoy that cupcake. I know every year this is a difficult holiday to try and plan for.

AS FOR trick-or-treat - we went door to door and collected candy. Then, as we do every year, he got 2 pieces and traded in the rest of the candy for a toy at toys r us. My husband takes all of the candy to work. We don't need all that junk around here. Maybe you might like that idea.