- advertisement -

School Grief

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Sep 10, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Our daughter's school is still making life difficult. Now the school wants us to sign a release giving the school nurse,principal,dean of students and the nursing supervisor for the district the ability to request and exchange Sophie's medical records with her endo. They say,if we sign the release and the endo agrees she can test her bs in class,instead of always going to the nurse to check.
    My knee jerk reaction is "no",if there are concerns they can contact us and we will get them the info. I especially do not want the district's nursing supervisor to have access to her records because he is the jerk that exclaimed"ALL diabetics get neuropathy"when I mentioned that Sophie could in theory,test her toes as an alternative to testing fingers. He also thinks it is perfectly reasonable that all the high school students do all D care in the nurse's office. If it works for thise students fine,but I want somethi g different for our daughter,especially when she is in high school.To me if there are concerns about her health the school needs to contact us first,not contacting the endo behind our backs

2. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

No, no,no

I think all of the parents will agree that I would NOT give the school or nurse permission to contact or get information from your endo.

Can the endo write a specific order for your child to test in class? Our endos write specific orders that the child can test in class and self-treat.

Why are they making this so difficult? I am sorry -

3. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Ummm....NO!!! absoultely NO

There is no reason for them to have contact directly with the endo.

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

The paperwork in our district comes with that statement written straight into its standard diabetes care template. I just write in at the bottom that communication can only happen if advanced permission is granted or in case of medical emergency. So far, so good (but, then, no one is out to make my life difficult there)!

5. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Please call the ADA at 1-800-DIABETES and ask for their help.

I am not sure the school release gives the doctor's office permission to share your daughter's medical records. I think the doctor's office has to have you sign something. It could be a HIPAA violation. Ask ADA.

6. wearingtaci

Homeschooling is looking so much more attractive. Just a few minutes ago the principal called and says"good news!We don't need to do a 504,the state doesn't require it"I said,"OK,but we want it and Sophie needs it to cover her right to equal educational access". He said"we can do one,as soon as we get the release back and talk to her Dr,we can schedule another meeting".
    I know I can't keep her in a bubble,but it really is an appealing fantasy

7. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Do not let them push you around. I don't think they NEED to talk to the endo. As I said, earlier, call the ADA and get their advice.

8. wearingtaci

I did call the ADA,but I can't figure out how to fill out the form to email it back,so I need DH's help.
    We aren't going to let the school push us around,and they never had to deal with this mama bear

9. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

You need a letter of diagnosis

Okay - I read the latest post about the principal requesting to talk to the doctor before proceeding with the 504.

I am a teacher (and have a school administrator degree) and have been to many of these meetings - so here is what you need. He doesn't have to talk to your doctor, but generally you need a LETTER of DIAGNOSIS from your doctor's office. Just stating your child's name and medical diagnosis. THat covers the medical part that should get the 504 ball rolling legally. I am pretty sure that a letter of diagnosis has to be in the 504 file.

Call your doctor or endo and ask for a letter of diagnosis for your school.
    That is all you have to provide.

Why do these administrators not understand 504s? They are federal law - and all administrators - me included - have taken school law!

10. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I dont blame you! If my school made it that difficult, I would've homeschooled as well. If you stay home, it might be something you should really consider.

Oddly enough in my daughter's school, there are 2 kindergarteners with diabetes, one of them being my daughter. My daughter has a 1:1 RN with her at all times, but the other kid doesn't and goes to the regular school nurse before lunch and snack. They were supposed to be in the same class with a 2:1 aide for them to share. I have no idea why that didn't happen but I found it weird. I was looking forward to my daughter having another diabetic in her class. I might've heard wrong but Im pretty sure the nurse told me over the phone that they thought my daughter needed an aide more because she pumps... I don't get that either. They could've shared the nurse, it's not like I made a big stink about a 2:1 aide, I thought it would be good. Diabetes is diabetes no matter how you manage it so I think that other kid should have a nurse too

11. wearingtaci

I feel like I broke the relationship with the entire system when I asked that she be allowed to test in class. I got the release today,the just don't want to talk to the endo,they want access to all her medical records. That isn't going to happen.
    I also feel like tomorrow is going to be a problem,her endo is out and I needed to change her ratios. I got the okie dokie from the endo covering,bit I don't know if the school is going to actually follow the new ratio or not

12. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I honestly love my endo office our medical care plan letter for this year reads everywhere in it "as per parents instruction"
    I refused to sign and revoked the authorizations to release information both at the school and at my son's Dr's offices. They have a note on his file at the endo and neurology office that all communications must be authorized by parents and nothing released to school.
    We had a nurse last year calling his drs after we had another situation with the school not letting him attend a class party with out our knowledge and the nurse from the Dr office called me after the nurse called a 2nd time to see why she was calling and I was caught completely off guard because we had no idea what she wanted and when I questioned the school I didn't get a straight answer to what they wanted or reason why they were calling.
    There is no reason that they need to contact the dr office -and no reason for the release to be signed inorder to the 504 plan it has no bearing on what is in the 504 - The school is trying to see how far they can push you --- stand your ground and don't give in.

13. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

The papers we have from the endo's office to give to the school state "Parents may make adjustments to insulin dosages during the school year"- maybe yours have a similar statement?

Sorry you are having to deal with this:(

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We too have "dosage changes per parents instruction." We also have never signed off allowing contact to endo. The only time we have signed off for nurse to contact endo was on the overnight class trip last year. And, it stated "team may be contacted by medical staff in the event of an emergency where parents and or emergency contact cannot be reached." This was also only allowed for a specific time period.

15. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

You can't do this in every state. They just made a law in the NYS Nurse Practice Act that nurses can only take dosing changes from a licensed MD. See my post...

I am wondering where the OP is from? They sound very backward in this school district. You definitely need a 504! In it you can state that your daughter tests in class and any other accommodations you feel are necessary. We've had a 504 since pre-k. Now we have it written in the 504 that she is allowed a cell phone to text me when her dex alarms and before she eats. We've always had in there that she can finger stick in classroom.

16. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We had similar wording in our orders. The first year we also had it written in that all meal/snack decisions were to be made by the parents. That was due to the school nurse refusing to allow my dd to have party snacks etc because they weren't mentioned in the meal plan.

17. wearingtaci

We had a 504 last year,but because she was so recently diagnosed this years is goi g to be more.
    I do need to call the endo back and ask about addi g that we have the ability to change doses as needed
    That she can test and start treating a low before reporting to a nurse
    That she test before any academic test

Is this one too far out there,or even possible? I am still fumi g over the cooments made by the nurse supervisor
    that no one express opinions about diabetes or possible complications to her

18. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I don't think it would matter if you include a statement concerning what people may say. People will speak without thinking, even teachers & other school staff. Maybe bring it up during the meeting & stress the importance of a positive attitude to your child's well being?

19. wearingtaci

We're in Indiana and everything was going well with us,the school and Sophie's D care,until the nurse supervisor and now the district's attorney got involved

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

What they said! ^^^ I am furious, it sounds like their holding her testing in class as a hostage to get you to do what they want:mad:

It's not up to them whether she tests in class or not. It's up to the Doc and you :mad: