- advertisement -

School Field Trips

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Mgirod, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Mgirod

Mgirod Approved members

So my school is going to Hershey Park next week and I am going to go on this trip!! My mom is insisting that she chaperone the trip even though I am perfectly fine without her. What can I do to convince her that I am fine alone???

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Since you're so newly diagnosed, I think she's wise to want to go. You don't yet have experience knowing how your body will react in such an experience and neither does she. You may fight lows all day, or you may be high all day. You just don't know. You also don't have the ability to temp basal if you're fighting lows as you would if you were pumping. And, quite honestly, kids your age are not always the most sensitive to needs. My daughter has observed another T1 get completely ditched by her cabin mates at camp to go boating while she was recovering from a 39. Your friends may not get the potential seriousness of a low, and they may not want to wait. It rots. It really does. I'm sure your mom would prefer that she not feel the need to accompany you, but it's what T1 has brought. For now. Not for always. It's not fun to feel the need to hover at times or to be hovered over, but it is what it is. Make sure you both keep Diabetes as the opponent, not each other, and have a great day at the park.

Edited to add: Has your family looked into getting a CGM for you? They make granting independence safely so much easier. They really do!