- advertisement -

school/class attendance

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by character6, Jan 31, 2013.

1. character6

character6 Approved members

While my 6th grade son is in the nurses office, dealing with a low blood sugar, he is marked absent if he takes too long. The school has decided that after 20 minutes, he is considered absent. does anyone know if this is legal?

2. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

I don't know if it is legal, but it is wrong.

He is in school, just not in his classroom. I would talk to the principle or his teacher about that policy.

Hope the problems resolve.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Public school in the US? If so you child is protected by section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act. He should not be marked absent.

Do you have A 504 plan with the school?

4. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

It is not a law. It may be a district or school policy.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

Marked absent but excused for medical reasons or just absent?

Really that makes no sense to mark a kid absent who is at school - he is not absent and the school is responsible for him.

If they use it to mark that he missed class (but excused) - well that is ok I think. If they are marking him as though he has left the building and is not there - that is a big problem - definitely not allowed. I mean he is IN the building under their care - they cannot denote otherwise.

I would clarify with the school if you haven't already.

6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Ditto - do you have a 504 plan?

Also, what state are you in?

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i've never heard anything like that. I know there's a sign on our nurses office that kids are allowed to lay on cots up to 30 minutes if they're not feeling good. As long as the nurse gives them a note to get back into class they're not marked as absent.

8. selketine

I've noticed in high school they do have codes to go with an absence - and those codes excuse the absence - so the codes might mean out sick, on a field trip (in school field trip even), pep rally, doctor's appt (cause I take him out to go to the orthodontist).

Those absences are excused - and they do note if it is in school or outside of school.

I guess if your son misses an entire class due to being in the nurse's office - how is the teacher informed that he was in the health room? If he misses most of a class and goes back he should get a note so the teacher can mark it right.

It completely wouldn't make sense if they were marking it as an unexcused out of school absence.

9. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Yep--it should be an absence but an excused absense. They can't say he was there if he wasn't, but they can't hold it against him.

10. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Same here. Whenever it's D related, he's marked as an excused absence. He wasn't in class learning, so it makes sense that he is marked something.

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Yea, I'd actually want it noted that he wasn't in class. That way if he missed something the teacher knows that he actaully missed the material, not that he was just spaced out during class. She can look at her book and see, Oh yea, you were at the nurse when we covered that.

(Plus she can't ceritfy his attendance if he wasn't there. In upper grades whne the kid needs an alibi, the teacher doesn't want to be on the hook for saying the kid was in class when he was really vandalizing the hallway or whatever.)

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

What counts is that the child is in school with the intention of attending class.

Needing to take time to deal with medical issues is not something that the child should have marked against them.

13. character6

character6 Approved members

reply by poster regarding attendance

Thanks for all of your responses...he is in a NY upstate middle school. Two points they are trying to convince me on are:1) marking him absent is not a punishment 2)His permanent record card doesnt follow him anywhere so not to worry..

Teachers usually know where he is when treating a low blood sugar. ADA contacted and clearly stated to me this is discrimination. Teachers can only access 3 choices for attendance: tardy, absent present. So they can never mark him tardy excused or absent excused or medical absence or nurses office because that is not in their attendance system on the computer.

He has a 504 is placeand am trying to get an attendance accomodation included but I have not heard from anyone who has one. I asked ADA what the accomodation would bethat I would ask for and they responded to ask that the attendance system be changed/updated.

Having a meeting soon with building principal and Spec ed. after having talked with Superintendent and letter to the Board of Ed.

My son feels he is being treated unfairly because he is required to be in 2 places at once and it is not posible if he is having a low blood sugar and has to stay in the nurses office for something he can't control.

Any other suggestions?

14. selketine

I think the ADA is right - if there are only those 3 choices then they have to update their computer system. Did they give you any thoughts on whether this would be a matter to pursue as a 504 discrimination complaint if the school refuses to update their system?

Their antiquated system needs to be updated. I wouldn't want to rely that the absence information is not going to be reported somewhere on his high school record as he graduates some day.

15. stewkimmom

stewkimmom Approved members

Do you know if the system only allows the teachers 3 options but maybe the office has more flexibility?

I work in a school office. With our system, a teacher can only mark absent or present for each period but the school office has the ability to mark multiple reasons and "excused, clinic" is one of them. His period attendance would show that he's not in that particular classroom but his overall attendance would show that he was in the clinic during that time.

Good luck with this. I know it's frustrating!

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Are there any penalties for being marked absent? If not, then maybe this is not that big of a deal. We have to pick our battles and maybe this is just one that is not worth it. However, if there are any penalties for being absent, then I for sure would follow up on it.

Good luck

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This is where I would start, too. If there are no adverse consequences for him being marked absent, this is not a battle I would wage.

18. Mish

Mish Approved members

So this is a matter that he's at the nurse when he's moving from one classroom to the next and when the next teacher takes attendance he's not there?

I would think the easiest thing to do is simply ask the nurse to call the classroom and say he's there treating. The teacher can make him present and that's the end of the story.