- advertisement -

School Bus

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lcblk27, Aug 25, 2012.

1. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

We are getting ready to start kindergarten here and whew! Its a lot of work getting everything set and ready to go and Im still way nervous!

My current question is about riding the school bus. I have already requested that Ethan's BG is checked before getting on the bus. I dont know yet how long the ride will be but we live close to school. The nurse reccomended that I contact the bus company myself and let them know that Ethan has D but Im wondering what kind of information/training the bus driver will have or need to have. Should Ethan be bringing his BG meter on the bus with him (I guess so, huh?) but I would assume the driver isnt going to be checking his BG. So, Im not even sure what Im asking, can someone steer me in the right direction, please?

:) Thanks

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

All I ever did with bus drivers was ask them to keep a small stash of a juice box and some glucose tabs in the event of a break down or accident. I had her checked before leaving school and if bg was low to treat before getting on the bus and if super low to be held at the nurses office till I could pick her up.

Bus drivers don't know squat about D and have the road and other drivers and 30 kids to worry about - I'd never ask them to do anything beyond just knowing that my dd was Type 1 and if she were to be eating or drinking not to give her grief and to keep an extra eye on her during an emergency.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

We had it in the 504 that no getting on the bus under 100. And that she was allowed to eat on the bus to bring up a low if needed.

And it is the schools responsibility, not yours, to contact the bus company.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

That seems a tad adversarial considering one would think one would consider the overall safety of one's child paramount.

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

For kindergarten and 1st grade, I provided the bus drivers with an index card with my son's picture on it and some basic facts about D...just what a mild and extreme low would look like and what to do for an extreme low. I specified that the card must be on any replacement bus my son was ever on...but I honestly don't know if they ever complied with that. Until this past year, my son could not check his own BG. We did not have him checked before he got on the bus on a regular basis unless his numbers were iffy before gym (gym was at the end of the day). Then, I would have him checked after gym. The bus ride was only about 10-15 minutes...we never had an issue.

My son always carried a small backpack with his supplies...including glucose tablets, juice boxes, and glucagon...and his meter...everywhere at school including the bus.

Just realized I don't think I ever provided info to the bus drivers last year for 2nd grade.:eek: Goes to show how relaxed I've gotten over the years! My son can check his own BG now...I'm less concerned about anything happening...and was never all that concerned about the bus ride to start with.

Good luck!

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kindergarten made me nervous! I know how you feel! This is what we did. We had her check before she went on the bus, a good 20min before the bus, so that way they could deal with a low and recheck with time to still get the bus. I think at first she had to be above 130 for the bus otherwise I'd have to get her. As time went on that number went down. Its now 90 (for the 4th grade)... I always made sure she had glucose tabs and a juice box easily accessable in her backpack. I told her that if she felt low on the bus that she was to drink the juice or eat the tabs, don't bother checking. Her bus ride was only about 10min.

I never contacted the bus company. We are a very small town and she always had the same driver, he knew. We told him that falling asleep on the bus was not her, so if she did, she wasn't just napping, she was having a low bg and to call 911, then get ahold of us. We didn't have him trained on glucagon. If the bus ride was long, I would have.

7. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Bus transportation should be part of a 504 and should include enough information to cover 'what ifs''. Obviously it depends on where you are, but would it hurt if the driver had some minimum training to identify lows? I think the child should always have a kit with meter, low juice or glucose tabs, etc. on them.

Things do happen. There are traffic jams from accidents. Detours from road construction. Changes in bus route schedules. Things that change a 15 minute trip to a 2 hour one.