- advertisement -

school and sharps containers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom24grlz, Aug 31, 2010.

1. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

At home we put all of Ashleigh's lancets and pen needles in an old laundry detergent bottle. When we're out Ashleigh has always just put her used lancets/needles in the back of her meter until she can empty them into the containers at home.

The nurse saw her doing this and started telling Ashleigh how she needs to carry a sharps container with her. Ashleigh said she was yelling and after a while tuned her out while she went on about the containers. I'm not sure if she was actually yelling. Ashleigh's like me and gets her feelings hurt, so she may have thought the nurse was being mean to her. I told Ashleigh if she does anything in the nurse's office to use their sharps container.

But do you all buy your kids special sharps containers to carry around with them? I don't understand the problem. They're in the back of her meter case, the meter is kept in her purse. She puts the caps back on the needles/lancets so it's not like sharp things are poking out at her.

Ashleigh really doesn't want to carry around a sharps container either. Is there anything else you can think of she could use. I was thinking a water bottle but the plastic is kind of thin, so they might complain about that.

2. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

just keep one in the nurse's office, that way she can put her morning stuff there

3. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

My son uses empty test strip containers to carry his pen needles. After he uses a needle, he puts it back in the strip container.

4. mom24grlz

hey that's a good idea about the empty test strip container! We have plenty of those lying around. I'll have her start doing that.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would speak to the nurse directly to get her side of the story first but.....if she is really suggesting that your daughter carry a sharps container around with her that is ridiculous.

6. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I carry a Crystal light plastic container, you know the one that the pitcher size packets of lemonade come in? It's perfect for a sharps disposal, and I carry all her stuff in my purse when we're out. When she was at school last year, however, we did keep a sharps' container in the office because that was what they asked us to do.

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Your daughter doesnt need to carry a sharps container with her;) that nurse is being a silly as... I mean goose. They do in fact have to have a sharps container at school which the school has to purchase and dispose of. We use old bleach bottles or detergent bottles at home.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we use multiclix lancets, so no sharps there, and she using a pump, so no sharps there.. BUT I did give kaylee a tic tac container (the new larger ones) to put her strips in.. got tired of seeing 75 used strips in her meter case... so, maybe you could get one of these where she can put the lancet when done, and throw it out at home.. you can also get a sharps needle remover from the pharmacy, it'll break the needle off and hold onto it, securely, then you can throw the plastic needle portion away.

9. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

We use empty water or soda bottles when we are on the go. My son's school has a sharps container in the health office, that they provided.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My thought exactly.

11. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

nope. He disposes his sharps in the nurse's office when he does a shot there. If he does a shot elsewhere, the pen sharp gets capped and put back in the pen case. He never changes the lancet at school, so that's not an issue. I've never worried about used strips, they go in the trash or back in his kit.

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

When Hailey was on MDI we always had an empty water bottle in her care kit to put sharps and used alcohol wipes and test strips in. They work great and our trash company said that we could even dispose of them with the sharps in them if we wrapped it totally in duct tape first.

13. Gdad

Gdad Approved members

Last school year we sent a sharps container for her classroom (where she typically tests) but she never used it and it came home empty at the end of the year. She just caps the lancets and puts them in an empty test strip container in her case. So this year we didn't bother sending it in.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I agree. Is your child the only one with d at the school?

15. mom24grlz

No there are 2 other students. I asked Ashleigh what the other students do, but she tells me "mom i don't talk to them.. they're in high school." LOL! I asked her if she had seen them in the nurse's office and if the nurse had ever said anything to them. But she said she doesn't know.

16. KHM

KHM Approved members

this is what I was going to recommend; they're small and fit easily almost anywhere. It clips the needle tips off lancets and needles and retains them---the rest of the apparatus can be put in trash.

I think our Health Room is a bit over zealous but they have a lot of kids through there: they lay out a paper mat for work surface, supervise lindsay washing her hands before and after the stick and were kind of aghast when I told them we do not wipe the injection area prior to giving the insulin. They make her throw all of her stuff in the biohazard bin (their own...no skin off our noses) but I have a hard time thinking of used test strips as a bona fide biohazard...

17. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Our DD does all her testing in the Nurses office That being said, when she was on MDI, there was a sharp box in the nurses office for her. Otherwise, we carried around an old prescription bottle with the "child proof lid" to put all of her needles and used lancets in. We even took them with us traveling. They were a lot more compact than a sharp container and did the trick.

18. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I use a large empty gum container. The ones that are made to fit in your car coffee cup. I think its a Juicy Fruit container. Works well.