- advertisement -

School and communication

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2marchboys, Oct 5, 2012.

1. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I am sitting here waiting for my son's K teacher to call me about what they are doing this afternoon (in about an hour) for an activity called Apple Games - I do not know if this involves eating apples or drinking apple juice. A few weeks ago we got a note that the kids were to bring their teddy bears to school on a certain friday for a teddy bear picinic. I found out the day of that the teddy bear picinic consisted of a baggie of mini marshmellows and a teddy grahams.....but the teacher didn't know the amound she put in each bag. This picinic was on top of the daily afternoon snack that another child in the class brought that day. Needless to say I was dealing with highs that evening!
    So now today I sit here and wait to see what this Apple Game activity is all about.

How do each of you handle your childs teacher and activities like this?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This should be handled in a 504 document that clearly states you are to be informed when there are activities that involve food.

Does the teacher know your child has diabetes and that you need to know about any event with food? Is there a nurse at your child's school?

I met with each of my son's teachers at the beginning of the year to lay out such expectations on how my son should be kept healthy.

3. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

This is what we did too, and it is covered in the 504. Jess was always allowed to participate with the food activity, I just asked for a 24hr notice if possible.

We communicate alot through email. The teachers can shoot a quick email over to me easier than they can call me.

The best thing is to talk to the teacher before/after school and get on the same page as to what is expected.

4. momof2marchboys

we don't have a 504 in place b/c the school said we don't need one in the lower elementary.
    I did meet with his teacher, special ed teacher, school nurse and school secretary the day before school started b.c of the diabetes and seizure disorder. The teacher basically sat there and didn't look at the hand outs:eek: which proved to me that she wanted nothing to do with him and his issues - I tried to get him in the other classroom but was told we don't get to choose our teachers. She has the school sec handle his diabetes care as the nurse is only contracted for 6 hours a week.
    I called this morning and am still waiting!!!

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Honestly, I leave that up to the nurse and the teacher. The nurse is free to call me for a second opinion on carb counting, or whatever, but otherwise, it's their problem to figure out.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would have been up there to talk to her.

7. kyle and ryans mom

kyle and ryans mom Approved members

I also leave this up to the nurse and teacher. Usually, my son keeps track of what he eats when they do something with food in the classroom, then the nurse figures out the carbs.

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

All these are reasons you DO need a 504...and you have a legal right to one. If your son isn't getting the care he needs and that you've outlined, and he is at a public school, they could lose their funding for not providing a safe school environment for your son. I'd do my best to approach this in a civil way at first, but, if they're not willing to work with you, you have the law behind you.

We also had snacks of this type written into my son's 504. We've been lucky, however, to have teachers who bend over backwards to accommodate my son's D. Last year, one of his teachers forgot to mention a hot chocolate treat she was giving to the kids...and ran down between classes to have the nurse call me to ask me how it should be handled. In general, though, I'm usually told at least a day or two ahead of time...and then I contact the nurse/teacher with how I want it handled.

If I were you (not sure if you work...this is not feasible if you do)...and the teacher wasn't calling me...I'd march right down to the school and ask to see her. When she came out, I'd explain how concerned I was that she didn't get in touch with me, and it would have been much easier had she called...but it was important for me to know what was going on. And, I'd add, since I KNOW she doesn't want to be the one responsible for making one of her students feel ill later that evening (which happened the last time she didn't contact you about a snack), you need to discuss how to handle the snack that day.

9. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I agree that these are reasons that you should push for a 504. I hope that she got back to you in time. Since it's an ongoing problem I would also email the principal and request a meeting to discuss the problem. That's ridiculous.

10. momof2marchboys

Apple game did not involve food - had to call school back as no one called me to let me know that! But need to figure out why he was 294 at 2:30 when it was time to get on the bus.
    will be emailing teacher and principal over the weekend - and preparing myself for parent teacher conf in a couple weeks.....so not looking forward to it!
    I just want him to do everything that everyone else is doing at school - he didn't get to do PE the other day b/c he was 78 when they checked him.

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

If my son is 78 before gym, we give him a few glucose tablets, re-check in 10-15 minutes, and then send him in to have fun. No need to miss everything. In cases like this, I have the nurse re-check after gym as well.

12. momof2marchboys

I wish we could do that but he has lunch, recess, short class time, PE and then recess again three days a week - it is a busy schedule for the little kids this year

13. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I am a 20 year experienced teacher. 14 years in kindergarten. You should not wait two weeks for a conference. Your sons health and learning are vital. In my years as a teacher I have never worked in an educational environment where lesson plans are not expected to be completed one week in advance of activities. I would request a copy of them to be sent home on Friday with enough detail for a substitute to teach the lesson. This way you will know if food is included. As for your son being 294 it could have been the physical activity. By the way the next time you know and don't get a reply I would go in and make an appearance. You need to be her thorn if she won't respect his needs. I would also go higher than the principal if I did not get a meeting by Tuesday. Unfortunately, it sounds like you got a bad teacher. Sorry!

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The school is jerking you around.
    You are entitled to and need a 504 for reasons like this. The teacher and nurse dealt with the food and would give me a heads up via email. Once the health policy was set in place we didn't have these worries anymore:).

15. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Using a planner

My son's k-5 had an apple week too - and part of the activities listed making small apple pies. I sent her a note in his planner on Monday to send me the carb counts of the foods so that Parker could be included. She wrote me right back and this helped me communicate to the nurse.

Everything was in writing.

Sometimes it is hard to keep the lines of communication open.

16. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We met with teachers, nurse and principal before school year started. The nurse is a bit shaky so we have her email us after every BG check (4 times a day) and she calls us for every insulin injection (lunch and snack) so we can verify the dose. Eventually we'll relax this but we're only 3 months in from dx and this arrangement seems to be working ok for everyone.

17. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

First of all get the 504 plan in place. No age or grade is to early, lots of good links here. Next train we choose to train our child about eating and her schedule, i think it helps and she is very self aware. If your child is given food and eats it treat the high as best you can. There is nothing else you can do other than prevention. People make mistakes and the only people that count teddy grahms and marshmallows like they are gold coins are parents of diabetics (my wife just quoted 6 g per reg mallow).
    It has been my experience that lots of good advice is given on this site. It has also been my opinion that allot of advice given about schools is way out of line or at least hyper sensitive. I sometimes wonder if getting other people riled up is a coping device. It also seems like D parents freak out, i understand why but other adults do not because they do not understand the risk of a low.
    My advice is to always stay rational, visit with the teacher and nurse first,I then go to the principal. By going to the principal first you are conveying that you do not trust the teacher or nurse. If you have done that then work the chain of command. Rarely will you ho above a principal. Finally remember you will be working with these people in the future they are teaching your child. You should build a positive relationship with them, it will be worth it.

18. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

You have the right to ask for a 504 plan anytime. You do not have to wait till your child is older and I think it is vital that you have one in place for your child especially when you are dealing with diabetes and a seizure disorder.

19. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I agree that a 504 is the way to go.
    It also makes things easier for everyone at school. It is helpful to school personnel to have things spelled out -- what each party's responsibility is. Creating one and meeting with the school will also help you understand what the school can allow and what they can't. (Some states permit Glucagon administration ONLY by a nurse, for instance.)
    We've had a 504 in place since Kindergarten. :)