- advertisement -

Scared

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jessica L, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

Riley just barfed. Ugh this is her first sick day since being dx'ed 10 months ago. I am not sure if she has ketones yet. She doesnt have to go to the bathroom. Do they always get ketones when sick? I feel like I am going to barf next lol mine is from anxiety tho ugh. Her BG has gone up from 201 at 3 a.m. to 262 at about 5:30. She normally does start to go up after 5 but that big of a jump doesnt happen until 7 or 8 a.m. Blah I am just nervous and babbling. I need to get out the pink panther book and brush up on stupid sick day management.

2. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Hi Jessica,
    I am sorry, honey. Take a deep breath. Vomiting is tricky... Call you Endo and get detailed instructions on how to handle sick days (yes, call on the emergency line if noone is there yet). For us, unfortunately, dehydration and ketones kick in very quickly when Mia is sick. We follow these rules:

- Check blood sugars every hour and ketones every 2 hours
    - Feed small amounts of fluids (ice cubs, spoonfuls, little sips) every 10 minutes to keep hydrated
    - If BG is over 150, fluids should be carb free (crystal lite lemonade, water, diet pop)
    - If BG is under 150, fluids should be sugary (gatorade, juice, regular pop)

The trickiest combination is LOW BG and KETONES present. Ketones need both carbs and insulin to go away. The problem is if the child cannot tolerate carbs and BG is low with ketones...well..this may warrant a trip to the ER for fluids...

If BG is high and ketones are present, we can give insulin to try to bring both down. Ketones require extra insulin.

PLEASE GET INSTRUCTIONS FROM YOUR ENDO. The above our our guidelines for our child...your diabetes may vary..so it's important your Endo can tell you how to proceed.... I will say that when in doubt, it is best to head to the ER for fluids. Vomiting can lead to dehydration very quickly in a D child and sometimes it is simply not manageable at home.

I am sorry your week is starting this way...I hope your little one will feel better soon....

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hey there:cwds:

I echo the pp's suggestion. Call your endo. See if you can get something to calm the puking too. Hope the bug (if it is a bug) is short-lived.
    Take a deep breath.

If you can, get the blood ketone meter. It's much easier to test their blood than having them to pee when they don't have to.;) Plus it's much more accurate

Hope all is ok soon!

4. Jessica L

Sadly we do not have a Endo. We are in the process of getting one because one finally opened a practice in town but her primary doc isnt sure if he will take a 10 year old or not. There are a couple here but are not taking new people or kids. So I am on my own. Even in the hospital in the Co Springs we didnt have a Endo just some NP that knows everything under the sun about T-1. Still we switched insurance and she doesnt take our new kind and has not seen Ri in months. So yeah its me and the pink panther book. I am not sure how much help her primary will be but I can give him a try even tho she has only seen him once if I have to.

5. Jessica L

Oh and its a bug my one son stayed home friday with a fever and feeling barfy. He never did but that is typical of him not to even with a bug.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think it's better than nothing.:cwds:

Meanwhile, maybe someone here on the forums can suggest and pediatric endo in your area, if you're willing to let us know more or less when we are located (doesn't need to be specific, just the closest big city maybe?)

7. Jessica L

We are in the 3rd largest city In Colorado which is Pueblo. I cant travel to Colorado Springs tho mainly because my car wont make it. Its falling apart on me faster than I can put it back together. Plus having two autistic epileptic boys its just proven to be impossible to travel up there for appointments. So if anyone knows of one here I will gladly call them up and see if they will take her. Her last primary said there was none and I was told by the lady we saw in the hospital there was none down here either. So I assumed there wasnt.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

She should get one free puke, and 1 free puke only. After that, call your GP and ask fro Zofran. If they do not give it to you, and she keeps throwing up, then you will need to go to an ER. This is worrisome, becuase sense you don't have an Endo - you should probably try to go to a hosp. that has a children's endo.

Also, keep making her drink Gatorade and/or Ginger Ale. Vomiting often brings on starvation ketones, so she needs some carbs in her, also - not having insulin will bring on the ketones as well. So I would have her drink, see if she can hold it down for a bit, and then, if she can, give a small dose. We always give 1/2 the recommended dose for the stomach flu.

9. Jessica L

They dont have a childrens Endo at either hospital here blah. They life lifted her out of here when she was Dxed. :( Ok I am going to try and get my boys off to school and see if I can get some water into Ri. Crossing fingers and toes she can keep it down.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

Not water - Gatorade or ginger ale - full sugar! She needs the carbs.

11. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

Jessica, I'm so sorry you're going through this. My folks live there in Pueblo and I can have them search for dr's but looks like you've already exhausted the possiblities. :(

Hopefully, Riley will be back to herself in no time and there won't be any trips to the Dr. or ER. Keep us posted.

12. Jessica L

I gave her a juice box its all I have in the house right now. She has moderate ketones :( first time since her dx. I gave her the juice 15 carbs and 2 units of insulin she went back to the low 200's. I am sure she went high cause she barfed and it stressed her out.

13. Jessica L

Thanks, hopefully the new Endo will take her a adult Endo is better than no endo.

14. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

A few thoughts...

If the ketostix are from dx then they may be past their expiration date and not fully accurate. (they only last 6 months once the jar is opened ... unless you have the foil wrapped ones, then your probably ok)

You need to get some full-sugar ginger ale and some gatoraide because she may not be able to keep juice down.

You don't have the best tools or support, so you're really going to have to watch her carefully and see if she's going downhill ... she may need the ER. If so, don't put it off. As you said yourself, she hasn't been sick since dx and she may need more help than you can give her at home.

Good luck!

16. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

You are both in my thoughts & prayers today!!! We've always been able to handle sickness at home, but we have needed zofran before. It's still scary, and I had handouts from the doctor & talked to the nurse on call. I can't imagine how frightening it must be without that support! It sounds like you are doing great. Just please keep checking those ketones & I'm praying they go down soon! Please keep us posted!

17. Jessica L

ok thankfully she kept the juice down. After I dropped my boys off at school I got her some Gatorade. She is drinking that now. In 20 min we retest ketones and I found the formula for extra insulin so I will use that and if need be I do have glucagon if she drops low and cant keep anything down but in that case I would just take her to the er. Thankfully she tends to have the dawn phenomenon and is hard to get her BG down in the mornings plus stupid puberty which tends to make her run higher no matter how much insulin we give her. I think we should be ok. I just gave her 3 more units for a small correction and one cup of Gatorade. I am not as panicked as I was now that she kept the juice down and I know to give her 5-10% extra insulin every two hours which is just 1-2 units for her. If she starts to vomit or does again I will call her primary for the meds.

Thank you all for your support.

18. Jessica L

still moderate ketones but she is whining about being hungry and being bored already!

19. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

Im sorry to hear about your dd being sick. I agree with all the other posters and wanted to add give her the fluids very slowly like 1 tsp in a medicine dropper every 5-10 minutes. It gets absorbed before it hits the tummy, that way should prevent her from vomitting it back up. Also, yes right now she needs carbs so you can give insulin- very important. Popsicles work good for us also. Something to think about adding to your D cabinet when she is all better is a sick box with gingerale, gatorade, I have peppermint candy because it is calming to the tummy and a few carbs, extra strips, ketone strips, broth anything that you want to make sure you have so when it happens it lessens the stress on you. ((Hugs)) Can you maybe get phone support from the hospital they flew her to? I think our endo would take your phone call, she does not care about if she will get paid, she cares about the kids health. best of luck.

20. Jessica L

Thanks, that is a good idea. Thankfully my kids hardly ever get sick and when they do its mild compared to everyone else. They are like me. I will add extra water between her Gatorade to keep her hydrated too. She seems normal behavior wise now and her color came back so hopefully the one vomiting episode is all she will do.

Oh and our sticks are new I just bought two bottles in August when school started back up. One for here as a back up and one she takes to and from with her daily.