- advertisement -

Scared for my Non-D 15 month old - not about D

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by All About Aliya, Apr 23, 2009.

1. All About Aliya

All About Aliya Approved members

Okay, I am crying and feeling really out of control right now. I don't know where else to let this out right now, so I hope you don't mind & thank you for reading.

I just took my 15 month old son in for routine vaccinations and ended up at Children's Hospital Urgent Care getting a CBC (complete blood count) blood draw and smear. I didn't notice until we were at the doctor, my son has a mild rash all over his trunk. Nurse practitioner says the small dots are bleeding blood vessels (cant remember what she called this) and that it could just be the end of a virus (he did have a cough/cold, but its been gone for a while now) but she wanted to get a CBC to be sure his blood count has not dropped. I am SCARED OUT OF MY MIND. She tried to reassure me that she was 99% sure it was nothing, but she had to do the CBC to be absolutely sure. She did it STAT, but a courier has to come pick it up and transport the blood somewhere else....she said I should know around 1pm (a little over 2 hours). His vaccinations were postponed. I want to puke. My DD was diagnosed with D at 17 months old. This being sent to urgent care, blood draws, STAT business is really freaking me out. I feel like I have Post traumatic stress from my daughter that is being woken up.

Anybody out there have anything remotely similiar happen? I did ask the NP what was worse case scenario...she said blood count drop would be dangerous, but she was vague and that scared the crap out of me also. I just want to go bury my head in the sand.

If you have gotten this far, thank you.

2. candise

candise Approved members

Take a deep breath-you are at an amazing hospital ( we just left there Monday). Your child is in the best possible place to have such scary circumstances. Just focus on the now. You will get through this.

3. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

(((Hugs))) How scary. Focus on her 99% sure it is nothing. Please post an update when you get the results.

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

I heard a neat thing on the radio yesterday that made me think of my life with a cwd. They said, "Living by the yard is hard, but living by the inch is a cinch."

Try to live by the inch while you wait. It may not be a cinch, but it will be easier than worrying about all of the things that "could" happen.

Make sure to let us know what happens.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im so sorry Deanna (((((HUGS))))) I will say a prayer for you while your waiting. Let us know as soon as you get a chance. You know we care and are here for you.:cwds:

6. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Prayers going out for you that all turns out well.

7. bz'smom

bz'smom Approved members

Sending you some hugs & I'll be praying that it is a viral thing.

8. Eve

Eve Approved members

My thoughts and prayers are with you. ((hugs)) Keep us posted.

9. All About Aliya

All About Aliya Approved members

Everything is OKAY!

Thank God he is ok. Blood work came back normal & white blood count indicates he is getting over virus....so his rash IS viral. I can not tell you all how RELIEVED I am....I was practically giddy when told everything is normal. I completely re-lived the feelings of when my DD was diagnosed. It's been an exhausting day waiting for those test results. I tortured myself reading what the petechia rash could be.....oh. my. goodness.....I just want to thank you all for the support. I love this place. Your posts helped me tremendously. Thank you! (((((((HUGS))))))))))) :)

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

We all share in your relief. Try to have a relaxing night.

11. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Wonderful news, I am so sorry you had to go through the stress of it all.