- advertisement -

Scale for travelling/eating out?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cdninct, Jan 5, 2012.

1. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Seeing two posts today about the Salter scale has got me thinking. We have a scale that we are happy with at home, but I hate carrying it around as it is quite bulky. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good, reliable, little travel scale? It does not have to have a database, but it does need to allow me to reset it to 0 with a plate or other food on it. Thanks!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

We use the Salter 1440 Travel Scale. But I think they have a newer model out now.

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We use a portable Salter, but not sure of the model number. Probably the same as Christopher mentioned. It's called the Nutri Weigh & Go. Small enough to put in our go bag.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This may be unwelcome commentary, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

We use a scale for some foods at home, so I'm not anti-scale, but I do have reservations about the impact that weighing food portions can have on our kids. As such, I've always avoided taking a scale along as I couldn't envision using one at a party or a restaurant in a way that didn't seem humiliating to my kid.

I suppose I see eating out as a time to practice the "life skill" of bolusing for food that isn't labeled or weighed and that in the end, it's a vital skill for our kids and that if they see us doing it that they will have the confidence to do it themselves.

just my 2 cents.

6. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Couldn't have said it better. I hadn't been able to put my reasons into words, but you nailed it.

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter is twelve, and I've been giving her the choice of whether to take the scale along or not. It's interesting to me to watch what she chooses. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. She does know she feels better with the more accurate carb counts, so sometimes she wants it for that reason. Others, too much bother.

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

*shrugs* To each his own. If someone is already using a scale when they are out, however, why wouldn't you want to help them find a less obtrusive way?

That said, mine is 8 and she could not care less about people seeing her scale. When she's an adult and on a 1 to 6 ratio and she guesses, the total impact of a bad guess is less of a big deal to me. But at 8, when a half unit can blow her numbers for hours, I want to be as right as possible. I don't want her to see us guessing because I really want to demonstrate accuracy to her. She can certainly do it differently on her own but for now she is completely on board with figuring it out mathematically.

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

It does. Keep in mind, though, that the portable scales have a much lower weight limit. There are restaurants whose plates alone weigh too much for the scale. It's rare but it certainly happens. The convenience is worth having to use a saucer now and then :)

11. Michelle'sMom

Very true but in the early weeks/months of dx when we hadn't had much practice at eyeballing foods, the portable scale worked wonders. We haven't taken it into a restaurant in well over a year but it's very nice to have for visits to grandma's or older sister's house.

12. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Thanks to those who posted suggestions. I'll look into them. I did look for a Salter travel scale awhile ago, but I don't think the one people had been recommending at the time was available anymore. I'll definitely try again.

Sarah Maddie's Mom: I think you make a good point. In fact, I have never yet pulled a scale out at a restaurant, but I would maybe, possibly consider doing it if I had a little unobtrusive scale to use. Mostly, though, all of our family lives out of state (out of the country, in fact), so we spend a lot of time traveling. I am getting sick of hauling the big scale around on top of all of the other stuff that we end up carting around with us, and I am concerned that it won't keep up with the rough treatment it endures. Hence the request for scale suggestions.

Any other suggestions for types of scales would continue to be appreciated!

13. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Is the size of a iPad small enough? Albeit way thicker (about 3xthick). Perfect Portions Nutritional scale is what we use away from home. We pack it along in a iPad sleeve (book of codes too), fits perfect.

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'm the same way - I used the big scale at home all the time and it has taught me to be able to "eyeball" the food. I suppose I don't mind humilating myself personally - and I'm not sure William would care (especially when he was little) but what annoyed me about the idea was having to "replate" the food. I'd have to get an extra plate - dump it on that plate, etc. in a restaurant. I just wouldn't want someone handling MY food like that if I was about to eat and it was there and hot - and someone took it and weighed all the parts out separately on a new plate.

Or I can see us at a buffet - like at Disney - and he gets something and tries a bite and then won't eat it. I'd spend my whole meal replating, weighing and trying to figure the carbs. Then reweighing what he didn't eat (pizza crust)....:eek:

A travel scale would be useful for travel though (if you're visiting at someone's home) and if you are learning to eyeball food.

I also find for eating out that there are some good apps (like GoMeals) for figuring out carbs in restaurant foods.

15. minniem

minniem Approved members

We use a travel Salter scale sometimes, but most of the time we just "eyeball" it and guess. I guess I am trying to get him more comfortable eyeballing foods when out and I don't see him taking a scale with him everywhere he goes as a teenager.

But I do use a Salter scale at home and I use it A LOT!

16. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

I didn't read all the responses, but we also do what several people said.

We weigh everything at home. I try to get those carb counts as accurate as I possibly can.

Then, when we're eating out, we exercise a little more freedom. (In fact, I just wrote about this on my blog today.)

I know my son will never grow up and carry a scale around so I want him to get good about guessing while eating out.

Sidenote: When we eat out and I'm really unsure of the carbs, we'll check BG at 2 hours. That way I can give a little correction before it gets out of hand. Usually we do pretty good, but there was a learning curve. And we still mess up sometimes.:eek:

17. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Interesting. It is hard for me to see using a scale or other measuring device as somehow humiliating -- I could see it be a little embarrassing at times depending on the circumstances -- but humiliating seems a bit strong.

Scales, especially small travel scales, can be used very discretely. It's just a tool, like many others used in connection with D -- calculators, hand-written notes, hard copy or electronic versions of Calorie King, etc. I want my DD to understand what tools are available to her and how they can help her. And, although we keep a small portable scale in her kit, we don't use it all the time, but sometimes we do, and the information it can provide is generally useful to us.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think that children growing up with Type 1 have enough of a complicated relationship with food and that given the real risk of diabulimia and a host of other eating disorders I have opted to try and treat food as normally as possible. "Normal" eating does not require a scale.

That said, I do use a scale at home quite often, but I try to do so with great discretion, and as much as possible not while my kid, now teen, is in the room.

Obviously, this is a personal choice and every family will do what works best for them. My teen, would in fact, be "humiliated" were I to whip out a scale and start weighing her food at a restaurant. Even at 4 she probably would have disliked waiting and having her food handled that way and being reminded that she was different from everyone at the table who wasn't having their food weighed.

19. Michelle'sMom

I think the teen years, especially for girls, make the idea of pulling out a scale & actually weighing the food in public a little less attractive. No matter how small the scale is, you just can't be discreet enough for a 13 yr old...at least not mine.;)

20. sooz

sooz Approved members

Thanks! I don't use it often, but when I want to have it, it is really nice to have the reassurance, and the other grandmother really relies on it too. I ordered it! I appreciate the recommendation!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012