- advertisement -

Saying no to some foods. Do you do it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

I say no to foods a lot, but just to my D child. I say no to food after dinner unless she's low, because she has reflux and D and we get little enough sleep as possible, whereas I might say yes to my oldest because he stays up a lot later and can tolerate it. We have always been careful with what snacks our kids have on a regular basis, so it hasn't changed much since diagnosis. However, like others, there isn't a food that I tell her she can never ever eat, just only on a very rare occasion . . .

2. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

I very rarely say no to foods just because of diabetes. We will cover with insulin the best that we know how and adjust as we go. We don't eat a ton of candy or soda anyway so it's really not a huge issue. I don't think we have any foods that are 100% off-limits. I might wait to give Luke a special treat if his number is really high, but if it was at a birthday party or something then we'd just deal with it and move on.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Bold is mine.

Really interesting point of view. Thank you. Gives me something to really think about and implement.:)

4. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

There are certain foods that I simply say no to. I've made every effort to have the boys feel as normal as possible, but I know that if given the chance they will eat whatever they want and their BG will be way out of whack. I've chosen to not have those foods in our home, to talk to their teachers and room parents about snacks brought in for parties and to allow treats when their BG is within range. I've replaced those snacks with things they enjoy just as much though. Fruit, low carb ice cream, low carb muffins and cookies. I figure if I teach them how to eat healthy now, they will have less problems in the future.

If parents send in high carb treats for parties then the Nurse and I have agreed that the boys can bring those snacks home if their BG in not in range and if it is then they are allowed to have the snack with their classmates.

5. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

we do the same, we avoid high glycemic foods, cotton candy, sodas, candy, and a few other items.....occasional piece of cake or chocolate.

It makes sense to me, I would have to agree with you.

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

you know the hardest part for me is to say that a food is not necessary, then I check he's low and NEEDS sugar and darn it if the only fast acting food available isn't that very food that I just said wasn't necessary. Notice I didn't say no. But really that's how we've tried to raise our children with them hearing our thinking process in hopes that they will then grow up to pick healthy foods and make healthy decisions overall. So...no food is off limits, but I may limit the amount of that food. I am big on carb factors and weighing foods so maybe he only gets 30 grams of carbs at a meal and if he wants all of that in a doughnut that morning because it's a special day than he can have it, but first we'd have to have a doughnut in our house (a rarity). These less healthy foods aren't in our home normally because I know I'd eat them all the time! So, I think together we're all trying to make healthy choices without really restricting but rather making decisions based on the whole meal not just a part of it.
    That said I don't think anything negative of people who do say no to certain foods because only they know how their body or their childs body reacts to it in each situation.

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I do have one No - it's not absolute but we just can't get a handle on ice cream anytime after about 5 PM. So if she must have some, and it's a few times a month really, then she needs to have it before dinner.

We lucked out a bit in that she was a super picky eater before diagnosis and never liked breads, sodas and a lot of other higher carb foods anyway. She drinks water & milk. Sometimes Poweraid Zero. She loves raspberry ice tea. We don't keep it at home but she does get it occasionally when we eat out at a meal and it doesn't seem to cause a huge problem. We use apple juice for lows.

Anything else we just figure out. I will say no if she's high and for example, wants to just have rice for dinner. I'll make her have something with more protein. Luckily she's 15 now so she does understand why I say it.

I share custody, one week/one week, with her Dad. They kept having these before bed highs. What did she eat, oh ice cream. You'd think between the two of them "No Ice Cream After 5" would be a simple concept but apparently not. I think they finally "got" it.

8. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

We do say no, not necessarily to the "type" of food, but to the timing that she wants to eat.

For example, she wants an ice cream cup at 9:30 a.m. Um, no, absolutely not. But if she wants an ice cream cup after she eats her lunch- of course she can have it.

I had this discussion with our CDE (about food choices) and we feel that is very important to treat her and the food she eats just like any other kid. We wouldn't let my non-D son eat M&Ms all day long, so we will not let Kay eat them all day long either. But we don't completely restrict food either just because of D; I've found that a banana can have a worst effect on her BS than a cupcake can...

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

As an adult with D, I do say no to certain foods based on the reaction I get like corn in any form which I have found my body doesn't like and lets me know in very clear terms. The other thing is that I will avoid foods that just will not work for me and send me into the stratosphere and nothing I do will bring BG down into an acceptable range. Other than that I am pretty flexible.
    I try to eat in moderation. I think we all say "no" to certain foods for one reason or another. It is just something we all do.

10. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Boy, I've found it so interesting to read how the same foods affect our kids in different ways. I know that my one niece can eat pizza with no problem, but my other niece has to struggle to find ways to handle it. I was surprised that one person posting here had problems with blueberries--my son LOVES blueberries and we've never had a problem.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is there a medical reason? You'd think... a person with diabetes eats "x" and "y" happens. But then again, Daniel can eat "x" one day and "y" will happen, but one the next day "z" happens! Should probably start a new thread on this...but just curious if anyone has any physiologic explanation why the same food can be tolerated by one CWD and not by another???

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Because people's bodies are different from each other and metabolize food differently.

12. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

I say 'no' to foods depending on lots of factors. How close we are to dinner, what the food/snack happens to be, etc... basically the same as other parents on here. And I say no to his sister too...

But the only food that is off limits and that I have to say NO to is .....
    Corn Flakes. Whether it is regular, frosted, Honey Bunches of oats... whatever, Corn Flakes send him into a spike like crazy. We call the Corn Flakes, his Evil Nemesis! Someday, we will conquer our Evil Nemesis! :D

We even tried them after we got him on the pump. Hoping... but no! :(

Btw - We finally figured out the carb count for Slushies! :eek:
    Those are a RARE treat for us. I don't even drink them anymore because I feel guilty about it.

He finally got to have one last summer because we were fighting a stubborn low and couldn't get him above 40. ....okay I'll stop rambling now....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  13. LoriLee

LoriLee Approved members

saying no..

I feel like the org especially when having to say no, when its not snack time or meal time.. But I had a question on the numerous posts about cereal....Our endo team advised us to have my DD eat a small bowl of cereal, usually rice krispies in a 17c amount, with some of the Calorie Countdown Milk, (which is free).... Maybe thats keeping her numbers up all night

14. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I asked my sons endo about this and she said that it was really due to food intolerances, immature gut, or even the quantity of food eaten. For example Isaac can tolerate milk products if they're in a high fat food, but not any low fat foods - they cause major difficult spikes that are difficult to handle. Oh, and any corn based cereals are horrid, too. However, my husband has two things that he just hasn't ever been able to figure out Dairy Queen soft serve, and movie popcorn. Not sure if it's the lack of measuring the foods precisely or what, but really he has the worst highs AND his stomach aches if he tries to eat these two foods, but he can consume all the cereal he desires with no issues.
    So, in other words it seems that Isaac has an intolerance to milk products in certain settings. Tj on the other hand has a stomach that can't handle digesting large quantities of fat filled foods and that causes him more difficulty. (Or at least this is what we think :))

15. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

The only thing that I say no to is soda. Everything else in moderation.