- advertisement -

Saying no to some foods. Do you do it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Mar 5, 2011.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

There is NO food or drink that I restrict 100%. There ARE foods and drinks that are rare, some very much so.

Pop/Sugary drinks are very rare. If we are somewhere where such drinks are available (restaurant or grocery store etc) and Lia is really low I will allow them. Or if she's on the low side of average at a party or special event I will bolus and let her have a small glass. But those times are pretty rare.

Doughnuts and bagels are evil and rarely allowed, especially bagels. Doughnuts more often because they aren't quite as bad and doughnut holes (Tim Bits) are often brought for birthday treats at school. But we don't eat them very often at home.

Other items are allowed fairly regularly but if she's 350 and wants a brownie she will be told she has to wait. That's if we are at home etc. If she's at the school Christmas party she will eat and bolus and we'll deal with it. However sometimes the school will call me at snack time and say she's 350 and I'll tell them she needs to correct and skip snack or wait a while for it.

2. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

I only say no to sugar pop and we dont drink much diet pop either. I would say no to candy if he was high-- but for dessert after a meal or if he is low its fine

3. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

I have said No to Deacon many times. There are foods that I have learned are on the Never again list. Pop tarts, blueberries along with whatever has blueberries in it, and brownies. These are food items that have caused very high, hard to bring down numbers, and I know that these are not safe for him to have. Especially the blueberries. Blueberries bring on high numbers and ketones within an hour of eating them. Deacon and I figured that he is probably allergic to them and this is his body's way of telling us that.

I have also said not now or later for some things depending on what was happening. Most times I say yes though. It is only for the food above that I will always say no to no matter what.

--Sara

4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

This is tricky and depends on the temperament of the child. In general, I would say he can eat anything he wants - but not anytime he wants, and some things it would be better if he didn't eat at all. Some times we have negotiated a long pre bolus and correction in return for a high carb treat. This trick works well with CGM and gets the BG down faster than a correction alone. For example, you can eat the cake in an hour, if you bolus for it now.

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

As far as doughnuts go, I'm pretty good with a single Shipley's donut. Anything else I have some trouble with. Some cereals I don't eat, unless I'm at my brother's and there's nothing else. I don't drink regular cokes, but regular tea is something I DO drink. I've never had a problem with it :confused:. But it is something we make here at home; I don't drink it out at restaurants. We figured it up at 15 carbs per cup with the amount of sugar that we put in it, and that's always worked. I usually only have one glass at a time, though, and always with a meal.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

my dd has the BEST numbers with a doughnut, isnt that funny.

There are not may things i say no to, regular soda i guess would really be the only thing regular jucie and capri suns if she is not running around or working out.

I have said no to more of something when I beleive that she simpliy does not need more. Like at school bingo night I let her have a cupcake and a gummiy worm bag allong with the pizza she had already eaten. she wanted another gummie bag and I said no, she had enough. nothing to do with BG .

If it is a special occasion and her numbers are running higher than I want the I will uually give a correction and superbolus basal and prebolus the next hour or so's worth of carbs that I think she will eat, But we CGM and I can See if her bg is heading down too fast. just in a attempt to not Add to her already high bg.

there has been time in the past when she was younger before CGM that I said no to something that I had no idea as too what the carbs were, but if it was a special day then tried to find something that she would enjoy to replace the ???able carb treat.

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

My middle name has always been "No" so the nice part of that is that so far "no" is not a diabetes thing. Every kid gets generous portions of "no" every day, diabetes or not.

When is is strictly diabetes related, it's actually much harder. I will stretch to avoid diabetes-only "no"'s. But it's going to happen every once in a while, just like age-only "no"'s, personality-only "no"'s, and etc.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I will definately say "not now" if the timing isnt good but them again, I say that to my older son as well. Soda pop around here is rare, even diet soda is a treat. I just dont see any reason for it so we may have some when we go out to eat. Another thing is candy, we do have candy day on Friday and that night for supper I figure in the carbs from the candy he's chosen.

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

This is a tricky question to answer.

I try to avoid certain foods which just cause havoc on BGs. Like tonight, spaetzle is just one of those foods which, no matter what I do, just causes trouble. But DH promised the begging kids he'd make that with Thump...ummm, I mean, rabbit.:eek:, and, of course, the kids ended up eating only spaetzle. Help.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't say no to foods, but I do avoid buying troublesome foods. I have also not said no to a food during high BG, but I've managed to offer non-problematic foods. We'll see how this will hold up in the older years. Eeek.

Anyway, here's the thing. I truly, honestly believe a low-carb, low-GI eating plan is best for "taming" D a bit. However, the whole family should eat that way, not just the person having D, and having siblings or whoever be allowed "forbidden" things. But, I look back at my son's dx. He was 2 at the time. His brother was almost 1. How on Earth was I to implement a low-carb, low-GI regimen for such young kids? I know it's doable, but my mommy-heart just couldn't bear to say no to cakes, biscuits, the occasional juice. If the younger brother wanted one, I couldn't say no the other older (with D).

I think a gradual change towards low-carb, low-GI is the way to go, but everyone in the family should follow that. With the occasional treat, like at birthday parties, restaurants, etc.

But then I also think "What about when he's older?". Will he resent us for following such a restrictive plan? Will his relationship with food be altered negatively because of our attempt to have an easier time managing D?`I don't know the answers to that, but I do think about this.

This rambling post makes no sense. We don't follow a low-carb, low-GI plan most of the time (hence the stupid spaetzle), but I think we should.

To be more precise to your question: No, not really, sorty, kinda, depends. Kwim?:p

10. buggle

buggle Approved members

I say no much less now than before dx. We've always been an organic, vegetarian, health-food type family. But since dx, I don't want Brendan to resent diabetes, so I'm more lax about what he can eat now, though we still stick with a pretty decent diet overall and rarely buy anything junk foodish.

If his BG is high, I'll make him wait to eat -- especially something carby -- until he's corrected and come down. So, I say no in those situations. And sometimes, he feels resentful about it. But it's a fact of life, so I try not to cave.

When we go out to eat (more often than I'd like), we let him have sugary drinks. We never buy pop for home, so it's a treat. We hardly ever have problems if we bolus right. We hate chain restaurants, so we tend to go to places where he can have better quality drinks like Izzy or homemade limeade (or Danielle's family's restaurant with home-brewed root beer!) . I hate when he has a carmel-color, high fructose corn syrup junky drink, but in some situations, I'll even let him have those. I won't let him have artificial sweeteners, so he never has anything with them. I don't think juice or regular pop are a problem if the kids only have them occasionally and they're bolused properly.

11. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

No I never say no to any foods. Liquids are a different story, and it's not because of D. I say no to all sodas(diet or reg) and juices'. Water or milk is the only option unless we are at a party or family gathering and the kids are drinking juice boxes and he asks for one. I say yes and he takes a sip and says gross can I have milk instead :p

12. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Before diagnosis, we didn't do regular soda or juice. We do have a rare slushie at target (maybe 2xyear) and that is only if a full stomach. Unfortunately, we do eat more doughnuts than I'd like, but our PTA gives the teachers Dunkin' Donut gift cards to hand out as special rewards. Ab has learned on her own that she doesn't feel too great when her BG's are really high and started saying "no" on her own.

13. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

We do say no to certain foods. I've always been a bit picky about what my kids eat, but even more so now. I think some D kids can eat almost whatever they want and just dose for the carbs, and 2 hours later their blood sugar is normal. I am jealous! When my daughter eats certain foods all bets are off - it takes multiple corrections and a lot of extra insulin to move her number, and a lot of extra monitoring, plus hours with elevated blood sugars. Of course on birthdays and holidays she eats pretty much like everyone else (within reason), but at home I try to avoid problem foods. Like so many have said, it's all about balance.

14. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

The only food/drink that we do say no to is regular sodas. We normally only drink sodas at special occasions anyway (birthday parties, going out to eat). But on those occasions we all drink diet. My favorite is Diet A&W rootbeer and Diet cherry pepsi.

Oh and if she is high I sometimes will make her wait before eating a snack. A lot of times she won't tell me her BS number because she doesn't want to wait LOL!

15. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

I'm always interested in looking at how old the D child is when I read responses to questions like this. When kids are little, one tends to regulate their food anyway (D or no D). I have 2 teenagers as well as my dd who is 12. With a teenager, you can simply not buy foods you don't approve of. But once they're driving and out and about, they can buy those things themselves. I think it's better to collaborate with your child (even when they are still under your thumb) about why you would say no for a particular food (or amount of food) at a particular time and make the decision together. I don't like the dynamic of "do you say no?" with a child who is old enough to reason things out. Example - my daughter really likes chocolate and has been experimenting with portions and dual wave boluses in varying intervals to see what works for her. And she (like most of our kids) has tremendous self discipline and restricts her portions and usually uses good judgement about when she can have a sweet treat. I guess my point is that it takes years of discussion and working through those decisions together to acquire good judgement.

16. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I say no to lots of foods every time we go to the store and they start with the "can we get this?" Mostly because my non D daughter has a horrible sweet tooth and would live on cake if I allowed it. My D son doesn't ask for many sweets, never really has. He still has Halloween candy left. I've always been the no soda allowed mom.. unless it's a birthday at a pizza place or something. Then they would have their once or twice a year soda. I've never kept it in the house. I started keeping soda in the house for lows just after DX, but I have found alternatives I like better and have not bought it in a few months I think. Just not a soda person. Besides the sugar and sodium, I don't think I want it in my stomach after watching a friend soak up car battery acid from my car with a bottle of coke.
    I let them have treats once in awhile but not on a regular basis. I try very hard to give them a balanced diet just like I did before D.

17. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I have a huge list of foods I say no to. Tons, probably. HFCS is a no, all pops (sodas) are a no, fake fruit is a no, quite a few candy options are no, empty calories are a no, artificial sweeteners, etc.

My rule is that they can eat all they want if it's healthy, some of what they want if it's not healthy but not horrible either, and very very rarely what they want if it's rubbish. I'm one of *those* moms. Such is life.

I also have a list of foods that are a never or a very rarely food. Rice Krispies. Pop Tarts. Marshmallow fondant. Sure she could have the insulin but they are foods that really affect her and insulin simply doesn't cover them properly. I wouldn't give a food-allergic child an allergen just because she really wanted it - it would make her sick and that makes it crazy. Same thing with foods that affect my DD. If they are going to make her feel sick in any way, why would I give them to her?

Long story short - I have a lot of foods my kids don't eat. And a few of them are simply because of diabetes. I have no issue with that.

18. mocha

mocha Approved members

I have to say no for certain things for myself at certain times.

I never try to make any food or beverage a 100% no for myself (except for alcohol, but that's due to heart meds, and I don't want to die ;) ). If my bg is too high, I tell myself "not now". I might change meal plans or postpone a meal if I know it will only make it worse.

I try to have real juice (none of that "from concentrate" stuff, if it can be helped) in the house, not just for lows, but because I like juice and it's a way for me to get a serving a fruit. I know that I have to bolus as I'm pulling it out of the fridge so that the insulin can keep up with the juice.

When I tried doing an absolute "no, I can't have this food" I found myself focusing on that food more. When I tell myself "I can have this food later" I find myself not focusing on that food as much, and when my bg comes back in line, I often don't even want it anymore. :p

19. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

So funny! I try the delay tactics as well!:)

20. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Well, I feel better now!! Thanks for your input everyone! I enjoyed reading how everyone handles this situation and see that my strategy is like a lot of other families'.

Now, if only I could start saying no to MYSELF for certain foods!!:eek: