- advertisement -

Saying no to some foods. Do you do it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Mar 5, 2011.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I've started to feel like I'm the only Dmom to do this. But we know another Type 1 family in our school, and I know that they do too. The other day, I mentioned in a post how I hate to say no to Daniel sometimes about food. After I re-read my post I was like "Uh,oh, someone is going to comment on that." Sure enough, someone did. I know that diet is part of managing D along with insulin, checking BG, exercise. I do sometimes (please note the sometimes) say no at certain times for certain foods in certain situations. The times I've mentioned this, however, I tend to get the feeling that no one else does this--that corrections are all that's needed. But if he's 350 and wants a doughnut, I feel it's prudent to say "not now" just as if one of my kids was sick with vomiting and wanted a doughnut--I'd just say no. I absolutely do not have any food on the "never" list--but some are on the "not usually" or "only sometimes" list. This seems to be a sensitive issue on this forum. I strive to keep Daniel's life as "normal" as possible and do say "yes" MOST times. But if I feel something is going to throw his BG way out of wack, I feel I'm doing the best thing for his health to say "not now"-----but NOT "not EVER." I can't ignore the fact that he has D. Insulin alone is not always the answer for us.

I'm just wondering how diet plays into other D parents' management of their kids. Am I really the only "ogre mom" who says no at times??:confused:

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son has started saying no to foods when he is high. He dislikes how he feels when high and willingly waits until the sugar is more in range until he starts eating again. We started this when he was younger and he picked up on how much better he felt if he ate when his sugar was under 200.

I don't think that every parent on this forum allows their child to eat whenever he/she wants. My son doesn't eat a snack when close to a meal, nor does he eat as much of a favorite food as he might want.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I said, "no" to foods before dx and I say, "no" foods now.

For me to get to a "no" the food has to be a rubbishy food. I take the context into account (a party vs just walking by a bakery), and yes, to some extent I take bg into account, though I wouldn't deny her a treat at a party even if bg is high.

Age is also a factor. As she grows older and more mature I am both more "strict" (as in willing to spell out why that's a lousy food to eat) but also more likely to let her assess the relative value of a food and decide for herself if now is really such a great time to eat that food.

All that said, we tend not to eat a lot of rubbish food in the first place, so a donut is a rare food for her so she doesn't expect to be eating them but a few times a year. ( Though, really... I'd rather bolus for a donut that a bag of sweedish fish :rolleyes: they make fried dough look easy :p)

4. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We say no to liquid sugar - tea and cokes that aren't diet. DS got some regular tea the other afternoon and ended up at 412 feeling really sick. He cannot have those things.

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Good to know about the swedish fish. Boy, I used to love those. I don't even think Daniel knows what they are yet! Yes, if it was a birthday party and he was 350, I'd still let him have cake. On his last "diaversary," which we call "Diabetes Day," we had an ice cream cake for him. Dang if his BG wasn't in the 300s! But, there was no way I was saying no that day. We make Diabetes Day a fun day for him--like a second birthday where having diabetes works FOR him.

6. Mymommymommy

Mymommymommy Approved members

NOPE! I say no AAAALLLLL the time. I have foods Presley can NEVER eat. She knows she's not allowed. Like... cereal, I haven't found a cereal that doesn't shoots her BG up to crazy numbers. So she knows, cereal isn't allowed. and I RARELY would say yes to a doughnut. The fact is, that doughnut is going to shoot her BG pretty high before the insulin takes over. I don't like the thought of her BG being up in a high range while her insulin works on bringing her BG down. I TRY to avoid that. Now, that's not to say I don't give a little. She can have desserts on the weekends ONLY :) Depending on what her BG is at dinner time, will determine what kind of dessert she can have.. but she gets dessert on the weekends, and sometimes if she's higher than I like, I give a little and let her have something I normally wouldn't anyways. She is a kid. I let her have cake at birthday parties, even if her BG isn't the best. It's hard, but she's a kid. So I do give, but I would say MOST the time... i'm pretty "ogreish" if that's how we wanna look at it.

I will say, she doesn't seem to mind, She knows she can't have certain things, and she doesn't ask, or if somebody offer's her she'll says "ask my mom" Now she's 5, and this great attitude of her's may change in a few years :cwds: I mean, once her Grandma offered her cereal and she said "no grandma.. i'm not allowed to eat that" So I don't know how everybody else is.. but I guess i'm kinda like you. We all do what we think is best for our kids. So I say GOOD JOB MOM!!!

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Wow--was this iced tea? Daniel's never had that. Good to know. Yeah, I guess regular coke is on the "never" list for us--when he rarely has a soft drink, it's diet, so I really don't feel like I'm denying him there. He doesn't care that it's diet.

8. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

We say no as well. Truth is, for us, there are foods that make BS harder to control and less predictable. Regular sugar soft drinks, sweet tea or "liquid sugar" is completely out of the question. Bags of gummy worms and pure sugar treats are completely out of the question (unless she is low). She chooses ice cream or something with chocolate and peanut butter in these cases. Full sugar OJ or apple juice is next to never. Tropicana 50/50 is what the entire family drinks now.

But we do give a little for special occasions or when the family is out to eat. For instance, yesterday was DD b-day. Went out to eat at wonderful Seafood restaurant. DD had appetizers, shrimp with mac and cheese, bread, and then a huge birthday brownie and ice cream. DD had a extended bolus of 110 carbs and a temp basal we started at dinner of 110% for 2 hours. BS at midnight was 254 which I considered a successful number after such a dinner. Of course we corrected that and moved on.

Its a delicate balance, but we definitely discourage some foods while giving an alternative.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Well, I actually do really well with donuts. Krispy Kreme especially - a straight bolus is perfect for a chocolate dreamcake, and steady BGs ensue. But yes, there are certain foods which I would never eat when high. If my BG was over 200, I would NEVER eat a bowl of cereal.

I also don't drink full sugar soda, ever, and I only eat candy as a low treatment.

10. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

I don't say no to foods that I didn't say no to before (e.g., snack right before dinner, junk food when it seems like she's had a lot already). That being said, I think it's a little easier for us since Audrey was diagnosed at 10 years old, and listened to and understood what the CDE's said. She just knows that regular soda, juice, and full-sugar syrup are not an option unless she's low.

I think also with her age, she's more interested in making healthier choices, and that makes it easier, too. She loves greek yogurt, homemade smoothies, fruits/veggies to dip in ranch or peanut butter.

She has always had a major sweet tooth, and will ask for a candy bar at the store or a McDonalds McFlurry (makes me cringe), and she gets them about as often as she did before D. Always has cake or cookies at birthday parties.

I think the biggest change is that she was always a snacker before, and with shots, that really isn't an option now. She has her free snacks - sf jello w/whipped cream or celery, but she's not always in the pantry or the refrigerator anymore, which is a good thing. She's willing to get an extra shot, though, if something not free sounds really good.

When it comes to food, braces (which she got a month ago) make her feel much more restricted that D does. We have a list of 'no' foods for braces on the refrigerator, and I've seen her read the list and sigh afterwards many times! :)

I really think it comes down to what works best for your child. If there were foods we saw that consistently caused her to go high, we would try to restrict them. Also, if she was high already, and she wanted something sugary, we would try to find an alternative option. Again, since Audrey's older, this isn't as much of an issue. Last night, she was wanting to make a milkshake, I told her to test. When she saw she was 225, she decided she didn't want one.

Don't feel bad for your choices - everyone does what works best for their family! There have been several topices on here, that I've read and questioned our family's approach. In the end, I've decided that unless I was concerned about it before or something just isn't working for us, we don't need to change it.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is pretty much how we do it as well. I was always a bit strict, if you will, when it came to snack foods, even before D, so there wasn't much change in our house after D.

One definite no-no is regular soda and tea. Empty calories AND carbs, IMO.

Speaking of donuts, we had them this morning for the first time in ages. And it was such a pleasure watching both my kids ENJOY them, because their presence in our house (the donuts) is so rare, lol. :cwds:

12. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Yes, it was Milo's sweet tea bought from the store by my DH.
    DS actually prefers diet coke over regular coke now, so he doesn't care if he can't have regular coke. He got the tea because he was "so thirsty!"
    That boy acts like water will poison him! :rolleyes:

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, if push came to shove, there probably isn't anything that I wouldn't let him have. I mean, I greatly discourage juice and regular pop, (as in, he never has it), but if he was at a birthday party, and all they had was regular pop and he was looking at me with his puppy dog eyes, I'd let him have the regular pop.

One thing the CGM has done is alert us to highs early. So it's almost unheard of for me to have food ready to go onto the table, check him, and find that he's 300. In that situation, you're stuck feeding your child with the rest of the family, knowing that he'll probably hit 500 before he starts down, or making him wait to eat (and he'll know it's because of D), resulting in a very cranky little guy.

Now if he's stuck high before a meal, supper becomes mysteriously delayed. Sometimes you burn the sauce, you know? ;) Salads might come out first, or maybe a mini veggie tray. Or maybe the chicken gets done a looooong time before the potatoes, so anyone who's hungry can have their chicken first, but darn it! Mama forgot to turn the oven on, so the potatoes will be a little while. Or maybe supper that night becomes "breakfast night" with scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, and perhaps a piece of toast. Huh, that's pretty low carb. What a coincidence. ;)

I'm lucky in that he doesn't have much of a sweet tooth (not compared to my daughter, anyway), and often makes the "right" choices on his own. I try to gently guide him to the "right" choices, but he's a kid, and he's gotta live too. It's a very delicate balancing act, for sure.

14. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I like how you say maybe not now but not "not ever". I think it's important to give kids the tools when they're much much older than your son to handle foods that they may choose when you're not around, and they're bolusing and correcting. That's down the road awhile for you though.

My ds's new endo I think would like him to avoid his favorite customized Chipotle burrito because it's 150 carbs, but ds says it's one of the few things he has handled in his food/bg repretoire. ;)

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Oh, the number if times I have mistimed the carby part of dinner while miraculously getting the rest on the table as planned. I'm stunned that that happens at your house, too! Stunned, I tell you! :p

16. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I don't say no but I may make him wait to eat something if he is on the high side. My son wasl also starting to say no himself to things offered because he didn't like how he would feel after things like coke, etc. Having said that we started Apidra just yesterday and we wanted to "test" it out so we went to Mcdonalds and had a nugget meal with coke. Ususally he goes quite high after meals especially with coke involved but WOW! One hour later he was 162 and never went higher. I am LOVING it so far but I'll see how the next few days go. If this insulin takes away the spikes after meals then why wouldn't doctors use this as the standard insulin?

Anyway I am seeing a future with even fewer no's:D

17. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I say no all the time, and sometimes if he wants something we figure out a way to make it not screwy for bg. Yesterday we made whole wheat dairy free cookies (they are delicious even though typing that is making me gag lol) because he wanted to bake some goodies-dairy causes huge spikes for him which keeps him up when he sleeps 12 hours, not fun during the day. Once a week we make our own pizza. He wants soda when we're out and about, get a diet. I also say "no" to a lot of things my non-d kid wants. I think we went through a phase shortly after diagnosis where we didn't say no to anything because we were spoiling him and wanted to give him anything he wants for what he just went through-and that was a freaking nightmare to break.

18. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I just want to clarify what I mean by saying no less often. What I mean is my son is not restricted to eat anything. He can eat everything and anything that all of us have. He can have candy, pop, cookies, slurpies, milkshakes like the rest of the world but not whenever he wants it. There is a time and place for those things but they are not on a list of can't haves. We have no list.

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

If I had checked my kids bg last night BEFORE ordering the Chinese food, I definitely would have said NO!:(

20. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I never said no you can never have that food but with all 6 of my girls I said to to a lot of foods at certain times. Like if they didnt finish their dinner and 10 minutes later asked for anything to eat it was a NO. Of course there were foods my hubby wanted me to cook for him that I said no to--like liver and onions, ham and bean soup.