- advertisement -

Saved by the rice OR Dexcom: From wet to dry

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GinaB, May 27, 2010.

1. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Dex went swimming with DS the other day. We thought it was ruined. I posted and got lots of great advice from this board. We covered the receiver in rice for two days, plugged it in, hit the reset and it turned on and initialized. We calibrated a new sensor and it's working great! I am absolutely amazed! Thank you everyone for all the great advice. I never imagined it would ever work after swimming for almost an hour.

This affirms what I've suspected. I don't think I'd make it through diabetes without all the support and advice I get from CWD.

2. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

Congrats! Glad your Dex was rescued!

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Happy that It worked for you a few days with out it is better than $299 to replace it.

Which reminds me, Its been a year now that we have had ours, I think I will put in for a new one since summer is here and water play is around the corner.(actualy it is raining out, but it is on my mind)

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

So glad the rice worked! I'll have to keep that trick in mind if we decide to CGM.:cwds:

5. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Glad to hear this worked for you.. Now I hope I can remember this when the time comes and ours goes swimming.. Because it is bound to happen!

6. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Awesome! So glad to hear the rice trick worked for you!!! I am adding "a bag of rice" to our list for vacation right now since we will be swimming all day, every day and you never know what might happen.

7. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The bag of rice trick salvaged one of our family's iPhones that took an accidental swim in a toliet.

(The phone was replaced, but the technicians at the local Apple store were able to recover all the data.)

8. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I'm so glad to hear that rice did the trick. I wish I would have tried that when Jacob's Dex receiver drowned in a puddle. I'm kind of kicking myself now because it cost us $300 for replacement. All I had to do was come on here and ask what to do and I would have gotten the same rice answer. Oh well; live and learn.

People on here know everything don't they?:cwds::cool: