- advertisement -

SAT accomodations

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Apr 4, 2011.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

OK, I'm filling out the forms for special accommodations during SAT testing. I did NOT do this for the PSAT and regretted it; he was very high and usually does great on standardized testing but didn't do as well as usual so we're going to go ahead and apply for special accommodations for the upcoming test.

I am writing a letter to include since there really isn't room on the form and diabetes isn't a choice. I'm cutting and pasting the specifics that I am asking for, can anyone who has done this or has an opinion tell me if I hit all the important stuff. He doesn't have CGM yet but we're in the process of getting it, so I went ahead and included it just in case. Not having used it I really didn't know what to ask for wrt that!

Thanks for the input.

1. He be allowed to wear his insulin pump during all testing. The pump is physically connected to him at all times. He can administer insulin via the pump at any needed time.
    2. He be allowed to have his blood glucose meter during the test and be allowed to test his blood sugar at any given time during the test without leaving his seat.
    3. If his blood sugar is HIGH, he be allowed to administer insulin via his pump.
    4. If his blood sugar is LOW, he be allowed a snack at his desk.
    5. He be allowed to wear and view his continuous glucose monitor readings at his desk.
    6. If he has to have a snack or needs to administer insulin, he be allowed extra time that does not interfere with his official test time. The time will vary depending on how long it takes for his blood sugar to normalize again.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You probably ought to call the College Board to see how they prefer the accommodations to be requested. I found them to be very helpful. My son attends a private school, but we are fortunate to have a counselor and she requested them online. The accommodation that fits your requirements is called "Breaks as needed." When he feels it necessary, he can take a break to test and treat. As long as the electronic device isn't one of the ones listed as prohibited (cell phone, i-pod), I don't think the proctor can say anything.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I have spoken to them and I am filling out the specific form that they sent me, It is all very standardized and official, and I have a specific time frame to get the information to them.

There is a break section but there are only two options: extra breaks (between each section) and extended breaks (twice the length of standard breaks). So there really is no option of "break as needed" on the form, so I am writing in the information in an attached letter.

I did check the "extra break" box but want to specify why. It says "If the student requires a configuration not listed below, complete "other assistance", which I did. Under that section it says to include details/documentation for review. Thus...the letter.

For the PSAT they would NOT allow him his glucometer, it had to stay in another room. He was high the entire time and didn't do very well. The lady I spoke to told me he couldn't have electronics without special accommodation.

The form also asks for documentation on his condition, which I have no clue how to do! I included his endos name and number for verification, along with his diagnosis date. Hope that's enough.
    I do think the process is easier with a school counselor, but that's not one of my options!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  4. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

Since you don't have a 504 with documented information, you will probably need a letter/statement signed from the endo. I don't think the College Board will call the endo....they will expect the info with your application.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Oh my! What trouble that is! My son never mentioned he had the pump and the meter in his pockets to the proctor.

The phrase "Breaks as needed" was from my calling the College board's SSD section and one person advising me of the wording. He had Extra/Extended Breaks which are more breaks than normal. He didn't use it because I didn't understand what it meant.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Hmmm, that's a good point, I'll email them and see if they can fax some type of document and will include that with the form. Thanks

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Don't they allow a "stop the clock" for testing?

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I think so, but you have to apply for special accommodation in order to get it. You can't just ask for it, you have to fill out forms and such, it's normally easier when a child is in school, the counselors will help.

9. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I would have your endo ask for all the accomodations you want and put it in the letter. We got something of that sort from our endo but sadly, we were too late to submit. Good news is that Molly tested before the test and had easy sailing through out by testing during the breaks and snacking then if needed.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We did a test case for the PSAT's this year, they didn't really count, I had him check "no" for whether to send out to colleges.

I think the adrenaline or something had him really high, and he wasn't on pump them so correcting was a big deal, he wasn't allowed his kit inside the room anyway so he was pretty well stuck. He's normally does really well on standardized testing and he pretty much scored average on it, so I'm hopeful allowing him to test/correct will help.

I think maybe I'll just send the endo what I typed up and see if they'll adapt that.