- advertisement -

SAT Accommodations Not Honored

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Amy C., Mar 12, 2011.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am pretty peeved about this.

I worked with my son's counselor to get him "stop the clock" accommodations on the SAT. All looked well when he was assigned his room. The other gal who was there had extended time accommodations. I wondered how they were going to do the two together, but assumed they knew what they were doing. I left. Eventually, another gal joined them who had the same accommodations as my son.

After I picked him up, he said things didn't progress well. Shortly after the proctor came into the room, he realized that the two accommodations couldn't be done together. My son and the test taker were wisked out of that room and put into a room with 25 other students -- 5 minutes into the writing portion of the SAT. Only my son and the other gal had the "stop the clock" accommodations of all the kids in the room. Pretty soon, my son felt low and went up to the proctor to say he wanted to stop the clock to test his blood sugar. The reply was he was not in a room where he could do that.

My son sat back down and very quietly took out two glucose tabs and allowed them to dissolve in his mouth -- all while the test was going on. After a bit, he felt better.

I assumed that his accommodations would be honored. To have to join the test 5 minutes into the essay, to be low and not allowed to do anything was not what anyone expected.

I will definitely call the College Board on Monday.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Geesh, obviously there was a communication error in there.. I hope it gets straightened out, not that it helps now, but if he takes them again I hope they have everything straight.

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Sorry to hear that -- that really stinks.

4. mocha

mocha Approved members

That totally stinks. :(

If the college board doesn't do anything, maybe call the ADA?

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

I will be very interested to learn what they say. At a minimum you should get a free re-test - with accomodations.

6. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

So sorry that your son had to go through that experience. Having to advocate for yourself while taking such an already stressful test must have been a real struggle.

If only there was a standardized test for proctors. Then we could see what they know about meeting the basic needs of the kids that they are supposed to be facilitating. Stop time seems like a pretty basic request. I hope that you get a response that meets your son's needs.

Good luck.

7. skimom

skimom Approved members

I don't know much about SAT exams but we have major government exams for grade 12s here(counts for 50% of the course grade) . ANYTHING that is out of the ordinary (example what happened to your son )MUST be documented by the proctor. It would be interesting to see if this was done.
    Again, not sure how this works, but here if something like this happened and your son's results were not typical, you would have grounds to have the exam thrown out. I realize that SAT results are used for college entrance so not sure if there is any other test that can be used.
    I would be rather ticked off that this happened and take it up with the exam centre, the counsellor and the college board.ADA would be next on my list .Hopefully the right thing will be done.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son was planning to take the SAT again -- most take it more than once -- but the accommodations should have been honored. The testing site personnel need to pay closer attention to the accommodations they must provide. I am obligated to report to the College Board that this was not done.

Next time, he will probably use a different testing site. I don't think that many students using this site request accommodations and perhaps the staff at the school need to be honest with themselves and not offer the accommodations at this site in the first place.

9. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

My son just took the SAT on Saturday as well with accomodations. I was very surprised when I was told that his accommodations would be with 2 other kids who had 50% extra time. I was told that he would be allowed to test or snack in the class room and that the clock would not stop but the extra time would allow him time to take care of his needs.

I decided to go with it and see how it went. We do try to keep his numbers slightly higher than we normally would to prevent lows and since he technically was not a student who needed extra time, he would have time at the end or beginning of each section to test and snack if needed.

The extra test time was an added plus for us as well because on previous practice SAT tests, he ran out of time on 1 or 2 sections.

Everything ran smoothly for us but if he would have run into an issue, I probably would be just as upset as you are now.

10. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

I would definitely ask for a free re-test.

11. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

I'm sorry. The challenges never end......

12. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Ouch! And I think a refund is due for the cost of SAT.

That was complete ignorance, since when do they move people during an exam already in process.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Due to spring break in Texas, I can't really find out anything until next week. I did find out that my son didn't have the "breaks as needed", but was allowed to test during breaks. I should have checked up on what was done by my son's school. I think this was the first time the counselor had ever requested this sort of accommodation. This school is relatively new and my son is the first and only student with diabetes.

14. kemjris

kemjris Approved members

My daughter just took the SAT's recently. She signed up to take them even though we hadn't gotten accommodations yet. We had been waiting for a reply for 8 months (RIDICULOUS). You'd think they would have guidelines as to what a type 1 diabetic could have as far as accommodations go. Then if someone requests something additional they could debate its merit. Why take so long to decide?

Well, that's beside the point...our school is also a test center. She got her accommodations approved two days before the test. So they changed her "testing center". We found this out when she went to sign up for early start testing. The guidane department didn't have her name on the list of students that were to test. Our counselor looked into and was told they changed the way accommodations like this were to be handled. She has "school-based" testing. She will take the SAT in the guidance office during the school day. (Which means she must miss more classes). In addition she was participating in our County Band Festival that week and our school musical where she had a lead (dress rehearsals/band rehearsals/ shows/concerts). Our counselor offered to come in in the evening to give the test so she wouldn't miss classes, but she didn't have time.

We ended up siging that a form that she would take the test without accommodations with everyone else. Our couselor, who is also in charge of the testing, said she could bring her meter and snack into the room with her in case she needed them.

Can't wait to see these results. She said she didn't have any problems and thought they went pretty well.

Good luck and I hope the SAT people get there act together.

15. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

My son took the SAT for the first time about six weeks after diagnosis. We were able to get the accomodations approved within four weeks, but had to pay to reschedule the test because they couldn't guarantee that the approval would come before the originally scheduled date. (The approval came in the mail the day before his original date. :rolleyes:)

He was designated a school-based tester and he took the exam in the guidance office at his home school regardless of whether it was offered to other students at that time. He took the exam on a Saturday and one of the guidance counselors was the proctor. Interesting that there is such a variation in how this is handled!

He's now a college student who had to take the Praxis I and that process is messed up! He applied for the accomodation to bring his meter, water, snacks and "stop the clock" in case of bg issues and he received one that expired within two months of approval. Every time he has to take another Praxis exam, he has to apply for the accomodation. At least the College Board's is good for the SAT and all AP exams.

16. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

17. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I have administered the SAT in both a regular room and an extended time room the rules are very strict even for the proctor. Proctors are required to report any thing that happens in the room. Your son getting up should have been reported and I would push for another test for free if you received an approval letter for accommodations as this was a site error.

18. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Yep! He wants to teach elementary school. It runs in the family......I teach preschool (though I majored in civil engineering), his uncle teaches middle school and his grandfather was a teacher/administrator way back when it was called junior high. He's even considering special ed, which is how is uncle started out. He'll be transferring to Towson next year. :)

19. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Amy, I might have missed this in a different post but would you mind sharing the response from the College Board here and what the end results were. Was a re-take given?

As you know, we are going through the same thing with an AP exam and are currently awaiting the College Board's response from their investigation. I have greatly appreciated your knowledge and input on my thread about this! Thank you, thank you for posting about this!!

20. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I called the college board the Monday after the test to complain that the accommodations were not honored and that he was moved to a new room at the beginning of the writing section of the test.

On the accommodations part, I was told that he didn't the right to stop the clock, but that he had additional breaks after certain sections. The College Board SSD person told me what to do to get the accommodations to stop the clock and I was concentrating on that. I didn't think to point out that he didn't get the extra breaks either. In retrospect, this was kind of dumb.

I was most upset that he was moved at the beginning of the writing section. A couple of weeks after I called, they called me to report that the site coordinator said that when my son entered the new room that the test had not started. My son said it did. This was a classic "he said" versus "she said" situation and students almost always lose. I didn't know how to fight it.

The College Board sent my son a letter giving the choice to score or not score the test. No refund was offered. We decided to have the test scored, but not to send it to any colleges yet.

We simply are not going to use that testing site again. I made sure he had the stop the clock accommodations for future testing.

When all this happened, my son was planning to take the SAT more than once, so we were going to write this one off. Since then, he ended up doing really well on the ACT and we decided to use that test, rather than SAT. I don't think he will take the SAT again.

My advice on your thread is the same:
    1. Speak to the testing coordinator prior to the test to be your child is a separate room.
    2. Make sure you and your child understand the accommodations granted.
    3. Send the letter from the college board with your child to the testing site.