- advertisement -

Sample IHPs - Can I see yours?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charlotte'sMom, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Is there a good place to find sample IHPs or DMMPs or whatever they are called. (I saw the link for sample 504s) I have a few sheets to fill out that the nurse gave me, but I'd like to custom tailor it so I'd like to see some samples.

Also, when I search "sample IHP" on cwd, it tells me that "IHP" is too common so it's not included in the search results. Same for "504." :mad: That's seriously limiting my relevant results!

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our endo has a form that they use. It's frankly sort of useless, because his ratios, etc. change so much that it's always out of date. The important part is that at the bottom it says that parents are authorized to make changes at any time. For the nuts and bolts of when Jack gets tested, etc., it's usually a matter of looking at his schedule with the nurse and us deciding how it will happen. I honestly don't think we have any of that in writing. She just does it.

3. Charlotte'sMom

You got yours from your endo? Does an IHP have to be signed by the endo?

We missed Charlotte's June appt because of an insurance mix-up, and I rescheduled for September. I'm on the list to be called if there's a cancellation, but we probably won't see the endo until after school starts.

4. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

And our endo said this is only between us and the school and the hospital is not involved. :confused:

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

6. Charlotte'sMom

Okay, I did find our endo's health plans online, and there's a place for them to sign it. But even the endo's health plan I find overly wordy since some of it doesn't apply to DD. For example, I don't see the point in filling out I:C and correction info and instructions when a) it's all included in the pump settings and b) it's likely to change regularly anyway. I'm too anal about this... I may just have to make my own.

7. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

Danielle...I will email you what I have used for ADam. We don't have a formal 504 - they have followed our desires to the "T" but when it comes time for standardized testing, I imagine we will do a formal 504.

Has Dr. H filled out school orders for Charlotte? This would be different than a 504. The school nurse will want those before school starts. I printed it out online, filled it out, scanned it, faxed it to Dr. H and then he signed it and faxed it to our school.

8. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

Oh and the orders are just a general guideline - Dr. H writes it so that we (the parent) are allowed to make any and all changes to I:C ratios and basal ratios without his consent. Apparently some school nurses will not let you make changes at school without doctor approval?? Weird. Anyway, the orders seem formal, but I filled them out in the most basic way - in fact, I sent him my orders for ADam a few weeks ago, and I've already changed I:C ratios from what is on there!

9. Charlotte'sMom

No, we haven't seen him a few months. And when I went to reschedule our appt, they didn't have anything available until mid-September.

Thanks! I ended up copying forms from their website and pasting it into Word so I can make the changes on it that I want. I have a meeting tomorrow about a 504, and I'll ask if I *have* to get the IHP signed by Dr. H. I don't care either way, it's just one more thing to get done if I do. :rolleyes:

10. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My personal feeling is that diabetes is way too fact-dependent to reduce to a couple of pages. We had our endo fill out the form that they use, and then we worked with our nurse to deal with things as they arose. I'd say about six months in, she got comfortable "winging" it herself, and now I trust her instincts as much as I trust mine. Our nurse is awesome, though.

The school will want signed orders from the endo, though. It's a CYA thing for them. Just make sure the endo puts on there that you can make changes and you and the nurse can go from there.

12. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

13. Johan'smom

Johan'smom Approved members

We have an IEP for learning diabilities and also have Dr.'s orders which are required to be at the school site. BUT we also have an In School Health Plan (ISHP) which basically states what to do if my son goes high or low.... Every teacher has this so they know what to do in case they see Johan exhibit syptoms of hypoglycemia, & the emergency treatment of hyperglycemia.

I tried to attached it as a reference but it is too large.

Email me at lsheldo1@sandi.net and I will send it to you.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

this is sort of what we have done.

Fill out the school paperwork as it is and then do a personal guide on how to treat your child. There are going to be things that the nurse will have to have in order to implement care for you child. like I:C ratios, ISF and so forth.

There are things that we as parents do but the nurse maynot be able to do.

I have attached what I have given to my school nurse and staff that is not really in her health plan but they go by it. It may be helpful to you since we also PING, but are untheethered so you would have to omit/change some things. It is a work in progress but will be good for 1/2day kinder.

not sure why it will not upload let me try to pm it to you.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

can you pm me your email? I only have word starter on this computer and can not get it to upload right.