advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sample Back to School Supply Lists for D

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Aug 4, 2009.

1. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I think you could just use the same lists whether you have a full time or part-time nurse. The nurse would still be the primary care provider at school, right? I'd just add glucagon to the office kit (and make sure someone is trained other than the nurse). Is your child going to have anyone else giving shots (if MDI) during other times during the day other than lunch? I know that Kindergarten was full of extra snacks for Connor - letter day snacks, color day snacks, you name it... Someone will need to cover her insulin at those times so she can participate with her peers - OR - they could have extra snack parties right after lunch for one shot for all carbs consumed.

Good luck! I know that Kindergarten is a hard transition as a parent of a CWD. :cwds:

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but I also include a photocopy of the basic intx guide for the meter and the pump (the simplified version, along with a list of error messages, in case those happen). I think most meters have a simplified intx card anyway, and for the pump, I insert a photo of the pump, and circle the buttons needed to press for meal bolus & corrections.

You rock, Amy!:D

3. momandwifeoftype1s

Thank you for reminding me about the manuals. I do include those in the clinic kit, but I must have added them after I took inventory. It's especially helpful at daylight savings time and error message decoding (usually low battery for us). Thanks, Paula!

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Wow, this is awesome! Thanks

5. momandwifeoftype1s

Updated for 2012

Hello CWD friends!

I hope your 2011-2012 school year is off to a good start or will be soon. I wanted to update this link to include some additional resources for Back to School with diabetes. I hope you find these links helpful!

American Diabetes Association Safe at School: Safety and Fairness for Children with Diabetes brochure
    http://www.diabetes.org/assets/pdfs/schools/SAS-Booklet-2010.pdf

American Diabetes Association Your School and Your Rights, Protecting Children with Diabetes Against Discrimination in Schools and Day Care Centers
    http://www.diabetes.org/assets/pdfs/schools/your-school-your-right-2010.pdf

American Diabetes Association School Rights and Tips for ____ (your state) Students With Diabetes
    http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/parents-and-kids/diabetes-care-at-school/legal-protections/state-laws-and-policies.html

ADA-AA federal law from 2008, which defines a disabilities including diabetes (see page 3, Sec. 3)
    http://www.law.georgetown.edu/archiveada/documents/S3406FinalEngrossedVersion.pdf

novo nordisk Changing Life with Diabetes cartoon page signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/download/HypoHyperNovo.pdf

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (NDEP) "Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel", updated 2010 edition
    http://ndep.nih.gov/media/Youth_NDEPSchoolGuide.pdf

American Diabetes Association "Going to College with Diabetes: A Self Advocacy Guide for Students"
    [url]http://main.diabetes.org/dorg/PDFs/schools/going-to-college-with-diabetes.pdf [/URL]

American Diabetes Association DVD "Diabetes Care Tasks at School: What Key Personnel Need to Know School Training Modules
    http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/parents-and-kids/diabetes-care-at-school/school-staff-trainings/diabetes-care-tasks.html

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I am feeling overwhelmed looking at this... I have not had my first meeting with school personnel yet and I feel like I won't get all this figured out..
    Do you leave on meter at school and another your child carries with him...Is child expected to have meter on him during recess and lunch play?

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Dont feel overwhelmed;) We will all help you get it figured out. We have one meter at the school and 2 at home. Steven doesnt carry a meter but goes to the nurse if he feels low or the nurse will go to him. Some CWD are allowed to carry meters and supplies with them anywhere they are at school

8. momandwifeoftype1s

Oh! You don't have to have this all figured out right away. It's just a list of resources that you may find useful.

Connor has a school meter (in his diabetes bag) that he carries to school on the bus, during school hours with him at all times, and back home. He uses a different meter at home, but you could choose to have one meter shared for home and school. I prefer not to have the school have access to all of Connor's blood glucose levels at home for privacy. I log his numbers from school in his home log book, so I have a complete picture for each day.

Connor carries his diabetes bag (including the meter) with him to recess. He leaves it by a staff member who his monitoring recess so he in unencumbered to play, but the kit is still accessible. He does the same thing for PE.

Hope that helps!

Amy

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's easy to feel overwhelmed. Don't try and tackle everything at once.
    I found it very helpful to see what others had, and I modified it to fit our needs. We also had AWESOME nurses who gave suggestions on what they would like to see in our supply box. Maybe just start with the basics, spare meter, strips, insulin, needles, glucagon, juice, snack.

My daughter's 504 states that she is allowed to test anytime/anywhere on campus, and that she is allowed to carry her supplies at all times.
    This past year she had recess before lunch, so she would leave her kit with the recess monitor, and since she had to stop at the nurse they allowed her to leave it sitting in their office where she would pick it up on the way back.

As for meter, she had a designated one that she carried back and forth to school, the nurse had a spare in her office.

10. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

This is great. Thank you so much!!!!

11. momandwifeoftype1s

You are very welcome! I've received tons of help over the years from my friends at CWD, so just passing it forward :D.

12. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Here's a photo of what we had in K's classroom last school year. Taped to the side of the box are our emergency phone numbers. The box is kept on top of the lockers which are in the classroom.

She doesn't have to go to any office for testing as they don't have a school nurse. All her supplies are in the classroom and there's insulin (lantus and novolog) in the school refrigerator. She also has a bag which has her meter, fast-acting carbs, glucagon, etc. which she or her teacher (or her "minions") carries to P.E. and outdoor play -- they have to do these activities outside school premises as their school doesn't have facilities for these activities.