advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sample Back to School Supply Lists for D

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Aug 4, 2009.

1. cheri

cheri Approved members

Thank you so much for posting this school starts on Monday. I have prepared the nurses office, but I will do alot more now. This is our first school year since newly diagnosed.

2. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I just added photos today to go with the descriptions of the supplies lists. Hope that helps you to prepare for back-to-school. Connor's first day is tomorrow :D.

3. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

where are the photos?? I should have taken pictures of mine too...your lists helped me bunches :)

4. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I am SOOOOO impressed. I'm organized, a bit on the anal side, and am LOVING your lists - complete with pics! WOW:)

5. momandwifeoftype1s

They're back at the first post. I added them to my original post for easy reference. :)

6. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

you are awesome to post all this - I've been gathering stuff to start in 2 weeks, wondering what I am forgetting... pleased to see that I didn't do that badly!

Sadly there is much we don't need from your list - the extra teachers won't keep the snacks with them, NO ONE will calculate carbs - so no Calorie King etc...

Thank you! I love having this resource.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  7. momandwifeoftype1s

You're very welcome. May I ask why the teachers won't keep the snacks with them? What is their reasoning for saying no? I can't see any reason why a specials teacher couldn't put a baggie with snacks up on a shelf - just in case. Also, who calculates carbs for unexpected school parties? What if your child doesn't eat everything that you pack from home? Does he eat hot lunches? What if there are substitutions? I'm confused about how this is safe. Are you concerned? Do you have a school nurse or trained diabetic medical personnel? I'm sorry that it is so hard, and I understand. It's taken us 2+ years to get to a point where I feel calm about sending Connor to school, knowing that all bases are covered (I hope!).

8. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

Ah! Found them! That is awesome...thank you for taking the time to do that!

9. momandwifeoftype1s

Bumping this up for this year as you get ready for back-to-school. I thought it might be helpful. :)

10. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Great info and reference - will keep in mind.

Instead of having kits for each specials class, etc, I have my DD carry a purse with her. It has a meter, strips, lancet, glucose tabs, gel, and candy, and a snack. She carries this with her so in case of fire/tornado drill, lockdown, etc she has supplies with her. On one hand, it could be overkill to have a kit for each special, but now thinking about how we have 5 type 1s at our school, it may be a great idea.

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

11. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Last year I made very similar kits for the homeroom teacher, media center (library), gym and chorus rooms. I used the small plastic pencil boxes that are on sale everywhere right now.

Over the spring and summer I had collected numerous "Free after coupon" meters. So each classroom kit has: Hypo/Hyper instruction sheet, 1 juice box, 1 roll of glucose tabs, 1 pack of PB crackers, 1 glucose gel and a One Touch Mini-meter w/lancets.

She also carries a D bag that is well equipped.

In the nurses office: Spare meter, spare strips, pump infusion sets, IV Prep, Pump cartridges, Alcohol pads and back-up syringes, spare batteries for meter and pump, Calorie King book, juice boxes, PB crackers, glucose tabs, Ketostix (foil wrapped), Glucagon, glucose gel, insulin in fridge

12. momandwifeoftype1s

I love the pencil box idea! That's more economical and just the right size too.

13. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Amy, you are DA BOMB, girl!!! Thank you!! :)

14. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Thanks for posting this. DD's school doesn't have a nurse and we are still so unprepared. We need to train them a week before school starts (August 30). I still don't have my material together :eek: This really, really helps!

15. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

Unbelievebly organized. Heads down.
    I am sooooooooooooooooo not prepared.
    Although we are still in the KG this will definatelly help.

Thanks a millions

16. momandwifeoftype1s

I'm glad it's helpful! I was putting everything together for school last year, and I thought that if I inventoried and took pictures of everything, it would be easier for me from year-to-year and help my CWD friends. :cwds:

17. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

I will be using your post as a reference when I make up Cameron's back to school kits. Thank you... Thank you... Thank you!!!:)

18. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

Thanks for sharing!!!!!! Did you post a list last summer, too? I used that as a reference when I was preparing my DD's supplies. The principal/teachers were so impressed w/ my preparations! Thanks to you, I really had a handle on what should be packed and to whom it should go to.

Now that were pumping, I'm thinking I'll add to the health aide's/nurse kit:

2 extra pods
    vet wrap-to wrap up pod in case it begins to fall off
    insulin vial
    insulin cartridge
    insulin pen
    insulin pen needles
    Omnipod caregiver instructions booklet
    Unisolve pads
    2 AAA batteres for PDM

I'll add more when I think of it!

19. momandwifeoftype1s

Yes, Michelle. It's the same post as last year. I just bumped it up in case anyone is new to CWD and could use a little help figuring out what to buy and pack for school (yes, I'm a little over the top). I'd love for someone to do a Sample Back to School List with photos and inventory for pumping too. Connor says he wants a pump when he's 9 (he turns 9 next month). This was after Camp this week, so I'll be the one seeking advice on what supplies I'll need for home and school for pumping soon. :)

20. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

Amy, I just read your extensive list. My four year old is going to Kindergarten in Sept. and your list will be sooooooo helpful (would not have thought of bags for specialty teachers e.g). Does anyone have additional suggestions for schools with part-time nurse?