- advertisement -

Salter Scale Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2cjh, Mar 25, 2008.

1. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Purchased the scale right after my son was diagnosed 6 months ago. (Actually I should credit my husband...he does all the diabetes research!) Just wondering how you count fruit with a skin that you don't eat ie. oranges, grapefruit and bananas. Do you weigh with the skin on or peel off prior? All that is in the scale is grapefruit, etc. fresh. Makes a difference in the weight and then of course the carb count.
    Thanks for any help.

Mom to Cameron, 7, dx'd 8/23/07, Omnipod 12/3/07, hoping for a Navigator
    and Braydon, 3, non-D

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

With oranges, I think there is an option for "orange with peel" and "orange without peel." For bananas, I peel them first. However, a while back, someone posted something where you can weigh the banana with peel, multiply that by a fraction, and come up with a reasonable approximation of the carbs in the fruit alone. I was going to remember that, and now I've completely forgotten it. Hopefully whoever that was will post it again! (And I will write it down this time. :rolleyes:)

3. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Weigh it as you will eat it. So if you are going to remove skin weigh it without the skin.:cwds:

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think the problem with that is if they want to put a banana in a lunchbox or something. ;)

Here is a thread on bananas: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=7587&highlight=bananas+skin

I think we've used that .62 mulitplier before, and I remember it working fine. (And now I'm off to write that down somewhere!)

5. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

That does pose a problem so we don't send bananas to school. I wouldn't look to good by lunch time.

Thanks for that thread I missed that one.

6. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Thanks for the replies....it is amazing why we now know why mathematics is so important to learn.:D Last night he wanted a bedtime snack...cut half a large grapefruit in half and then sectioned. Weighed with the skin on (even though he would not be eating the skin) and only came to 18 carbs. His #'s were pretty good at midnight...just a little high 189 and gave a small correction. However, if I would not have weighed the peel would have give less insulin and #'s would have been even higher. I actually emailed the salter company last week but haven't received a reply...thank CWD for the quick responses:)