- advertisement -

Sad visit with my dad yesterday.

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by lynn, Dec 15, 2010.

1. lynn

lynn Approved members

My dad is dying. He has been dying for several months now....my husband tells me that's where my stubbornness comes from! We've been called to his side twice now, thinking that the end was imminent. But he rallies and is up and about the next day. He is amazing all of us.

Yesterday was his 79th birthday and the kids and I went to visit. I haven't seen him in over a week because of my son's hospitalization and then the stomach flu going through the house. I walked in and he was making out a couple of bills. My heart ached because his eyes are growing so dim. His face was nearly touching the checkbook in order to see. We all sat at the table with him while he finished. He talked about the visit with the hospice nurse earlier in the day. He acknowledged that his systems are just shutting down. He told me he is going to do his best to make it to next Tuesday for our Christmas party with my brother and his family who are coming up for a visit but that he isn't sure he'll be able to. It was so hard. I talked, thinking that I needed to memorize everything I could about him--his voice, his wrinkles, his whiskers, his eyes.....

Then I noticed the address on one of the envelopes: The American Diabetes Association. He doesn't have diabetes. One of the last things he is worried about taking care of in this life is giving money in honor of my son. I'm bawling as I type this.

Thanks for letting me share here. Nobody in my real life would understand.

2. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

Lynn, I'm sorry to hear about your father. That is so touching that he was making a contribution to fight this terrible disease that we battle with everyday.

My dad passed away last year. He was 57. If you can do anything in the next couple days, I would just sit down with your dad and let him know how amazing you think he is! This is something that I really wish I did!

3. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Do whatever you can to lock in every wrinkle, whisker....every word he says. Your Dad will always love you... Treasure this time... seeing them go is one of our hardest moments, especially when those moments take a long time. I'm praying for him and your family as he transitions through this....

4. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

Lyn, I am seding you (((HUGE HUGS)))) I know wha tyou are saying. Talk to your Dad and hang on to the time you have left with Him. What he did for your son was so special and something that you can tell your son that his grandpa did for him. (((HUGE HUGS)))

5. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Oh Lyn, I am crying over here :(. This is so hard. I am so sorry :(. ((((((((hugs)))))))

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I am so, so sorry to hear about this Lyn. Praying for you and your family.

7. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Oh, Sweetie, I am so sorry. My father passes away fourteen years ago and it's still so hard. You are never ready for that moment to happen. Do what you can to enjoy the time you have left with him.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Lynn,
    I am so sorry. My Dad passed away on Jan 9th. Damn Cancer - do not ignore heartburn! He waited until my sister and I could fly in. His last words were to my sister when she walked through the door. He told her he loved her.

It is incredibly heartbreaking.

9. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

Now I am crying!! When he said he was trying his hardest to get to next Tuesday .. wow ... what a great dad ... I lost my mom almost a year ago ... just cherish these last few moments ... ((((((Hugs))))))

Crystal

10. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Now I'm crying too... Oh Lyn, I am so sorry. My Dad passed away on Oct 22, just two months ago. I know how difficult it is to watch our father's die. Spend every moment you can with him, hold his hand, tell him you love him, pray with him. This is what we did for our Dad as he transitioned to a better life.

Your father sounds like such a wonderful man, and he has such a good heart.
    He will never die, Lyn, he will truly live on in you and in his grandchildren.

Take good care of yourself, all of our hearts are with you at this time.

Kathy

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

:( I am very sorry, Lynn.
    He sounds like a wonderful man.

12. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Lynn I join everyone here sending my sympathy to you. Your dad sounds like an amazing, wonderful person. My thoughts are with you.

13. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I'm sorry. It is very hard when a loved one is near the end of his/her life. Praying for strength for you and your family. Tell your father everything you feel in your heart. He sounds like a fantastic man!

14. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Lynn, I am crying with you :(

He sounds like a wonderful man. We have just been through the same thing with my grandfather. The rollercoaster ride of ups and downs is so hard to deal with.:(

I truly hope he gets his wish and enjoys his christmas party with you. Sending you big hugs.

15. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I am very sorry.

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

16. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I'm very sorry. Prayers and good thoughts to you and your family.

17. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Lynn, I am very sorry :(

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Such a sweet, heartbreaking post. I'm so sorry.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  19. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I am so sorry Lyn. Your dad sounds like a wonderful dad, grandpa, man...For him to be thinking of your son at this time in his life...shows how much his family really means to him. I will be sending up prayers for your family in this holiday season..

20. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

so sorry Lynn, I am crying with you.:(