- advertisement -

Rollercoasters? Literal ones, not BGs...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AmyMCGS, Jul 24, 2012.

1. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

I remember reading somewhere that riding roller coasters can interfere with a pump. Can anyone back this up? My DD is now old enough to ride the adult rides, and she's looking forward to doing so this week. I'm just not sure if we should remove her pump for each ride or leave it on.

2. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

My daughter has the omnipod and we've never noticed anything and she is a roller coaster rider! We rode all the one's at Univeral Studios and King's Island.

3. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

My DD has done California Screamin', Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, etc. and has never had any issues with the rides affecting her BGs through her pump. We usually try to unplug her pump before these rides, but we forget.

There is some speculation that if the rides pull Gs that insulin may be forced out of the pump and BGs could go low. However, is it the ride, or just running off sugars while you run around the park?

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We used the Ping but don't any more.

I recommend you contact your pump company. They make their recommendations based on physics -- gravity but also electromagnetic forces.

I find it very possible that few if any diabetics feel the effects of misdelivery of insulin from these forces, but it's not disputable that the forces are real. I'm sure you could debate whether the forces have the effect on the particular mechanisms in any one pump that they warn against, but I don't think anyone can really know whether it will be a factor in any one case.

http://www.animascorp.co.uk/faq

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I asked our rep, and he said he's gone on all of them with his pump. He did say to make sure it is secure within a spibelt, etc.

6. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

We have a minimed 723 and have never had a problem with most coasters with her pump we live in FL so she does all the Universal, Islands of Adventure, Seaworld, and Bush Gardens coasters. I will say this I think one of the coasters at Seaworld messed up her pump last time though as the electronics went crazy. But all the other times it was fine. She also does not go low usually at the parks.

7. Rapunzel

Rapunzel Approved members

We have the ping and were at Disney World at the beginning of the month. DD7 rode everything with her pump on and no problems what-so-ever. I remembered AFTER that I was told sometimes on Tower of Terror the electromagnetic field might hurt the pump, but we rode it several times with no issues.