- advertisement -

Rising Numbers During the Night

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andy'sMom, May 6, 2009.

1. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

I'm sure others have dealt with this so want to ask for some input. Andy's had D for 4 years now and we've never seen significant increases in his numbers in the night. The past week, he's been sick (sinus cold and ear infection) so we figure this may be the culprit, but some nights he rises a lot. Last night he was 99 at 11:00pm and at 7:00am he was 245, no added snack. He's on 1.25 units of Levemir at night and it's been very steady for us. I'm not sure what to think. We've had other brief episodes of rising night numbers, but never this extreme. We attributed the previous, more moderate rises to hormones. Could this also be hormones? A reaction to the antibiotic (which we've never been on before, but the rise in numbers started before he went on the antibiotic)? something else?

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Are you measuring in the night, or just 11 pm and in the morning?

If it were me, I'd check with a couple of overnight readings to confirm he's going up all night. If he is (and I assume he is), then he clearly needs more basal insulin. Time to increase the Levemir dose..

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Was that 1 1/4 unit of long lasting basal insulin???

Are you on a split dose?? Because that seems very low basal amounts to me.

What is the TDD?? Toatal daily dose of all insulins?

4. Andy'sMom

Yep - 1.25 of nighttime basal. Daytime basal is 3.5 units of NPH. Breakfast is covered with Novolog with 1:9 ratio and dinner is covered with Regular (5.5 units for 45 carbs). TDD is about 16/17 units. Started the Levimir at 1 unit about a year and a half ago (replacing NPH at night) and increased to 1.25 a few months ago. Nighttime numbers are usually very steady so we don't test between 11 and 7, but will start an extra test or two now that we're getting wierd numbers. I think we do need to increase the basal while we get these increases, but my gut tells me the increase will only be temporary and we'll eventually get back down to the lower dose. Just not sure why his basal insulin need jumped all the sudden?

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

we see a need to increase basals at night too, and almost as soon as we make changes, the need decreases. I blame it on growth hormones. fun--not!!

6. Andy'sMom

I would love it if it were growth hormones, as seems he has not grown at all in the past 6 months and that seems odd to me for an almost 5 year old boy. He has not gone backwards, just flatlined!!

7. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

T is now 4 and needs way more insulin during the night than during the day. She will go up from time to time either due to an illness or hormones. Kids at this change are growing and changing rapidly so the fluctuations in insulin doesn't surprise me--I just wish there weren't so many!