- advertisement -

Rights in regards to testing

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by quilterkp, Dec 5, 2005.

1. quilterkp

quilterkp New Member

Does anyone know if kids have a right to be retested when they fail a test due to missing class instruction due to high blood sugar? I have researched on the web, but haven't seen a definitive answer. My 13 year old son failed a test that he took when he missed class instruction and the teacher is refusing to let him retake it. I thought that was illegal. Thanks!

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Probably other folks will reply, but I am thinking you probably should have listed that situation in your 504 plan. The teacher may be thinking your son should have found a way to make-up the work he missed -- kind of like what is done when a student is sick and misses class instruction.

3. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

Me Too

I am a 17 year old with diabetes. I have had many problems with high blood sugars and tests. I was once even hospitalized for uncontrolled diabetes during the week of.......you guessed it: finals! I go to a small private school where they are verry understanding and let me retake what I need to but it's still hard. I feel like I spend my entire life making up tests.

4. Red (aus)

Red (aus) Approved members

I agree with Amy, in the US I believe most people use their 504 plan to include contingency plans for testing. If the teacher is refusing and you believe your son has a valid case I would go and talk to the Principal, and possibly higher within the school system dependant upon the answers I got from the Principal.

5. Whitney

Whitney Approved members

What a pain

:mad: I know how you feel! I am 17 with diabetes. I know one time i was in biology takign a test and I had to leave class to go check my blood sugar because I felt low which I very much so was. My sugar was 27. I got sick and had to go to the doctor. I had a test in Math also the next day when I went back to school. I had ot leave again because I was "high" and couldn't fuction to take my tests. I think we should be excused for sucha manner as this. :)

6. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

That is a situation that should be addressed in your 504 plan. If it is not you need to add it ASAP.

7. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

It should be stated in the 504. If it's not put the change in writing to the school. Our 504 states that Ty will get extra class help to make up the missed time, assign etc. and ample time to catch up and retake the test. Before he takes a test he is to check his bg and if it is below 100 or above 200 he is not to be tested. He puts the reading in the top left hand corner and circles the results. If he gets low or high while taking the test, it doesn't count and the above rules apply. Good Luck!

Tami