- advertisement -

Right Place at the Right Time (Long)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KarenRI, May 27, 2010.

1. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

God, fate or just dumb luck, it's so awesome that you and Nate were there then, and will be there for them in the future. Your son's actions reflect great credit toward himself and his parents and family.

This is a rare occasion where you've made a difference in someone's life and you actually know how much of a difference you made because you've been in their place.

2. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

To the OP, I am not sure you can fully appreciate how much what you did means the the family of the newly diagnosed boy.

My DD's best friend, M, was diagnosed almost 5 years ago. They truly are best friends, to the point that I view her almost as one of my own and we have become close with the whole family. When DS was diagnosed last September, the first person we contacted was M's mother, who very calmly walked us through what would be happening over the next few days and we leaned on them quite a bit during the first couple of weeks home from the hospital.

We were/are truly blessed to have M and her family in our lives. They helped us with the transition to our "new normal" far quicker than we could ever have hoped.

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Tears and shivers here reading this. I feel s badly for that mom and her son, but what a blessing you and Nate were to them. Nate sounds like a wonderful young man and that is a result of the parenting you and your hubby have done. God Bless You.

4. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Gosh, you guys are wonderful, and you're making me cry! I know any one of you would have done the same...because we've been there and it's a horrible place to be, even more so if you are alone. I did forget to add that her husband was away in London on a business trip. Poor mom truly was all on her own.

I am so anxious to hear from them...no word yet. But I remember when we were in the hospital at diagnosis. There's no time to answer a phone call, never mind having the time to make one.

I hope they're doing OK. :confused:

5. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Tears here too. I'm so glad you and Nate were there. And you both handled yourselves with grace and gentleness toward the mom and her son . . . I am in no position to say so, but I'm so proud of you!

Sending prayers for your friend and prayers of thanks for YOU.

Every blessing,

6. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Well, maybe you could call to see if they are still in the hospital (maybe not by now), and if they are you two could drop by to check on them. He might like seeing Nate. Maybe Nate could bring him something "cool".

7. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

I am crying too!! What a beautiful thing for that little boy to see happy healthy Nate! You both were ordained by God to be there at that exact time.

8. mamort

mamort Approved members

So happy that you were there for them, as we all know how hard it is at first, emotionally raw. Still wiping away the tears.

9. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Where the heck is the "crying with mascara running" emoticon when you need it?

Awesome story. Right place, right time, right person. Well done!

10. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

This is why I seek out CWD. For stories like yours - hope, compassion, caring people. Thank you for taking the time to write your real experience and for helping another family with a newly diagnosed child. Your heart must be bursting, and it should be! Awesome job! :D

11. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

Add me to the crying category. Gosh that brought back a rush of memories. I am sure they will be forever grateful for your kindness at such a dark moment.

12. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Oh, Karen...I just read this. What an incredible thing you two did. Many tears being shed here at the moment!

I think we, too, had the angels around us when Jayden was diagnosed. When I took her in to be checked, the very medical assistant who pricked her finger was a man who went to our church, and he has type 1! He was diagnosed at 8, I think, and is now in his 50s and doing just great! When we got checked into a room at the hospital, the nurse who was assigned to our room also had type 1. Both of these folks were on pumps, and were so reassuring to me. I think it cannot be coincidence that both of these precious people were right around us when we needed it the most.

Kudos to Nate, Karen, and to you...what a young man you are raising!